An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jehovah's Witnesses

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1945291' date='Aug 10 2009, 09:01 AM']*snip*[/quote]

I feel your pain. Mom had a JW kid in her class last year in second grade, and she effectively had to do a second lesson plan for him...for every single activity it seemed like. So as not to offend the beliefs of the family.

[quote name='Chestertonian' post='1945370' date='Aug 10 2009, 11:55 AM']My wife was a Jehova's Witness when we first started dating, and I'm very happy to announce that she became a Catholic this Easter! It's hard to believe that just four years ago, she was knocking on doors and handing out Watchtower magazines, and now she's praying the Rosary and receiving our Lord in the Eucharist. The biggest stumbling block for her was the concept of the Trinity, but our RCIA director just happened to be a former Jehova's Witness himself, and was very familiar with the JW's arguments against the Trinity and was able to address them. It's amazing the way the Holy Spirit has worked in her life :)[/quote]
Wow. She was actually allowed to date a non-JW? I hear they're quite the tight-knit group. Good to hear though :lol: God works miracles in people's hearts ^_^

ETA:

My encounter with JWs was in the wintertime in around winter 2005 (I think). They came to side door which had a covered porch and they asked me "So, what do you think Jesus feels about the holiday season" or something to that extent and I truthfully told them that He's probably not that happy at the consumerism, etc. They seemed appeased and started dropping some bible verses, then the older lady who was doing all the talking (there was a younger girl tagging behind. Methinks she was learning the trade) said "oh, it seems you are cold" and sorta cut things short and asked me if I wanted their literature. I kindly refused, and they were never back. I hear-tell they sorta condemn places that turn them away. Maybe some more than others... you know, "shake the dust from their feet" if they receive ill treatment, or just don't get their literature out...

Anywho, that was at an other house I used to live at. The Mormons/JWs come to the new place I'm at. My mom just dismisses them by saying "we're Catholic" and they just leave. :/

Edited by Sacred Music Man

Archaeology cat

The JW I had in my class must not have been a very good one, as I never had to change my lesson plans.

We get JWs around here quite a bit, actually. They stopped by my house when I was watching Kieran play with a friend outside, so they didn't talk to me, but DH talked to them for quite a while.

I think the first JW I met was in Photography my junior year of high school. I don't think he was particularly devout, but I think he liked the fact that he could be different on religious grounds, for the fun of it kind of thing, rather than actually believing it. We actually happened to both be at the same table, and coincidentally we were both the only students that did not recite the Pledge of Allegiance (it was first period, when it was recited, that's the only reason I know that, lol). Although it was for slightly different reasons, and I did stand up, and he remained seated...

Why exactly do they not recite the Pledge of Allegiance?

I ran into a few Jehovah's Witnesses while I was an extern at the monastery. They always seemed unsure about what to do. I could tell they wanted to give me their stuff, but you could tell they were terrified. It was like... here, you want this? with a fearful little smile, then they'd run. Literally. :hehe:

I also got a Christmas card every year from this guy that singled me out from the monastery's newsletter to send anti-Catholic literature about nuns and priests leaving the religious life... I think I was his special little project. :rolleyes: I'm sure he'll be delighted when he finds out I left.

Edited by zunshynn

homeschoolmom

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1946028' date='Aug 11 2009, 03:38 AM']Why exactly do they not recite the Pledge of Allegiance?[/quote]
Because it's giving honor to someone/thing that is not God. They don't celebrate any secular holidays including birthdays (because the only birthdays mentioned in the bible were Pharaoh's and Harod's-- and you know they were no good. Also the bible doesn't mention Jesus' and the desciples' birthdays, so we are supposed to assume they didn't celebrate them.) No Christmas, Independence day, Mother's Day, New Years, Easter, Ground Hog Day-- nothing. Probably no parades in the summer (they're usually in commemoration of the summer holidays or municipal festivals), no trick or treat, no Christmas caroling or birthday parties, no tooth fairy.... No fairy tales with witches or magic.... No JW kid would be able to participate in my son's Tae Kwon Do class-- they do almost all of their lower belt forms to patriotic music.

If you think about it, Catholic parents sometimes have to tell their kids that we can't do thus and such because it conflicts with our beliefs or practicies (a friend's VBS, weekend camping where there's no Mass, etc).... But can you imagine being a killjoy all year long? :ohno:

homeschoolmom

Oh... one other thing sorta related to this topic.... In all the Michael Jackson's death-hype of late, I saw an interview with "Michael Jackson's former spiritual advisor" (I think it was his mom's JW pastor, or whatever they are called.) He said that even after he was famous, MJ was a devout JW and even went door to door distributing The Watchtower... but he wore a fat suit and wig. :hehehe:

VeniteAdoremus

I like a lot of their principles, but not all of their practice :) For example, the no holidays thing seems... overdoing it a little. We should give glory to God first and foremost, but that doesn't mean you can't celebrate the day he came into the world, right? Or the day He made YOU come into the world?

And afaik they're also 100% sure that 144.000 people will go to heaven, no more, no less. That's going to be a problem with 6.5 million Witnesses.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1946055' date='Aug 11 2009, 07:46 AM']And afaik they're also 100% sure that 144.000 people will go to heaven, no more, no less. That's going to be a problem with 6.5 million Witnesses.[/quote]
Well, from what I was reading, they believe that humans have a mortal soul and when they are dead, that's it. The 144,000 will be resurrected and given new bodies, but for the majority of Witnesses, death is the end. No Hell, just nothing.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1946057' date='Aug 11 2009, 08:13 AM']Well, from what I was reading, they believe that humans have a mortal soul and when they are dead, that's it. The 144,000 will be resurrected and given new bodies, but for the majority of Witnesses, death is the end. No Hell, just nothing.[/quote]

From what I understand, that is the leverage the the Watchtower Society use to encourage total committment to the religion by its members. The more people you convert, the harder you study, the more stringently you keep the JW rules, the greater your chance of being one of the 144,000. The rest will be killed by God at Armageddon. The whole religion seems to be based on fear. I really feel sorry for them.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1946057' date='Aug 11 2009, 03:13 PM']Well, from what I was reading, they believe that humans have a mortal soul and when they are dead, that's it. The 144,000 will be resurrected and given new bodies, but for the majority of Witnesses, death is the end. No Hell, just nothing.[/quote]

Hello Aristotle, meet St. Thomas Aquinas.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1946057' date='Aug 11 2009, 07:13 AM']Well, from what I was reading, they believe that humans have a mortal soul and when they are dead, that's it. The 144,000 will be resurrected and given new bodies, but for the majority of Witnesses, death is the end. No Hell, just nothing.[/quote]
Sounds more like atheist to me, at least for any practical purposes. 144000 isn't very many people considering how many people have lived and will live before the end of the world.

[quote]Oh... one other thing sorta related to this topic.... In all the Michael Jackson's death-hype of late, I saw an interview with "Michael Jackson's former spiritual advisor" (I think it was his mom's JW pastor, or whatever they are called.) He said that even after he was famous, MJ was a devout JW and even went door to door distributing The Watchtower... but he wore a fat suit and wig[/quote]

He did indeed :hehehe:

[quote]Well, from what I was reading, they believe that humans have a mortal soul and when they are dead, that's it. The 144,000 will be resurrected and given new bodies, but for the majority of Witnesses, death is the end. No Hell, just nothing.[/quote]

Are you sure? I read somewhere that earth becomes paradise for the others that were not a part of the 144,000...so, maybe I read wrong :unsure:

Edited by Selah

homeschoolmom

[img]http://www.thetubevideo.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/Resized%20weird-al.jpg[/img]
Hello. I'd like to talk to you about the Word of God.

Chestertonian

[quote]Wow. She was actually allowed to date a non-JW? I hear they're quite the tight-knit group. Good to hear though lol.gif God works miracles in people's hearts happy.gif[/quote]

Sorta. It didn't exactly start out as "dating," but yeah, technically, she wasn't supposed to even befriend a non-JW.