An Old School Catholic Message Board

Faithful Catholic Politicians

Resurrexi

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='pat22' post='1946518' date='Aug 11 2009, 07:15 PM']they don't have to be catholic :mellow: they just have to do whats in the people's interests. not they're own. rexi seems to think being catholic is everything[/quote]

As I see it, it's pretty common to hear about Catholic politicians that openly defy the Vatican with regards to voting on certain matters, particularly abortion. It's been discussed on Phatmass quite frequently. So I see no harm in pointing out that not all Catholics in public office are this way.

This is, well, a Catholic board after all. :mellow:

Edited by Ash Wednesday

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1946565' date='Aug 11 2009, 09:52 PM']so...any more?[/quote]
probably not... :unsure:

Frank Keating, former Governor of Oklahoma, although I hate to admit it. He once got into a public pissing match with my baby brother on the front page of the paper, for weeks, and sent investigators around trying to get dirt on my brother. My brother is a boy scout, so they got nothing, but still.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1946643' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:08 PM']Frank Keating, former Governor of Oklahoma, although I hate to admit it. He once got into a public pissing match with my baby brother on the front page of the paper, for weeks, and sent investigators around trying to get dirt on my brother. My brother is a boy scout, so they got nothing, but still.[/quote]

Why?

And at first you meant he got into a literal pissing match :mellow:

princessgianna

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1946502' date='Aug 11 2009, 07:03 PM']I'm pretty sure that many faithful Catholics in the past have conducted business both for God and for the government.

St. Edward the Confessor, St. Louis IX, and St. Ferdinand III come to mind.[/quote]
and i am pretty sure that they are dead. :mellow:

Chestertonian

Former presidential candidate and Senior Senator from Kansas, Sam Brownback.

Former presidential candidate, Alan Keyes

[quote name='Hassan' post='1946668' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:33 PM']Why?

And at first you meant he got into a literal pissing match :mellow:[/quote]

My brother is president of the AFL-CIO, and the fight was about Right To Work legislation.

Chestertonian

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1946708' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:03 PM']Brownback failed us. :mellow: I am going to search for what happened though.[/quote]

You could very well be right. I know he's somehow associated with the Opus Dei movement, which is disconcerting to many and seems to draw a lot of negative attention.

Chestertonian

[quote name='Seven77' post='1946401' date='Aug 11 2009, 03:04 PM']Rep. Chris Smith from NJ

Justice Clarence Thomas

RNC Chairman Michael Steele[/quote]

I like Steele, but alas, he's a little wishy-washy on abortion.