An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tofu

princessgianna

goldenchild17

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1946771' date='Aug 11 2009, 11:31 PM']Or, just leave out the tofu and eat the chicken and hot sauce. ;)[/quote]

srsly. After all that, what's the point of the tofu anyways? Nasty and not particularly healthy either imho :shock: I know

Get the extra-firm kind, and then squeeze the block between two plate to get more water out of it. Then slice it into 1/2 inch (1cm) slices, and a) sear them on both sides in a oiled pan b) grill them a few minutes on each side (oil the grill well.) Now the tofu will hold up respectably in a stir fry, stew, soup, what have you.

Alternately, you can get regular tofu and throw it in the freezer; when it thaws it will have a latticed structure that holds up well in other dishes.

If you are near an Asian grocery, you might find some uncurdled tofu there...it comes in a soft plastic tube. Use it to make a wonderful spicy soup: Soondooboo jigae. Here is a recipe:

[url="http://mykoreankitchen.com/2006/11/29/uncurdled-tofu-stew-sundubu-jjigae-in-korean/"]http://mykoreankitchen.com/2006/11/29/uncu...igae-in-korean/[/url]

I eat this every friday with rice.

I like tofu with chopped up pineapple, apples, bananas, some grapes...throw some lime juice and pico de gallo on top, tasty!

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1946891' date='Aug 12 2009, 07:07 AM']I like tofu with chopped up pineapple, apples, bananas, some grapes...throw some lime juice and pico de gallo on top, tasty![/quote]
you hold much knowledge.

Marie-Therese

[quote name='rachael' post='1946901' date='Aug 12 2009, 09:13 AM']you hold much knowledge.[/quote]

:yes: Jason the Mighty Kitchen Warrior, Defender of Vino. :)

PG, I have tried incorporating a little tofu into my diet as well, not for any particular desire to be a vegetarian or because I have scruples over eating animals (meat is murder...tasty, tasty murder LOL)...I just have some issues digesting lots of meat, so I've tried to find some other ways to eat good protein.

For me, I prefer the silky tofu. It is smooth in consistency and avoids that whole "wow I just ate a kitchen sponge" feeling that some of the firmer tofu definitely gives. The first time I ate tofu it was the firm kind and I swore I would never go within 50 feet of the stuff again. However, the right texture combined with the right flavor profile makes a big difference.

My favorite is to have the silky tofu in small cubes and added to Hot and Sour Soup, which is a Chinese favorite. It is a vinegar-based soup with some mild spice to it (it can be flaming hot depending on who prepares it) and I am sure that you could find some good recipes for it. Soups are a good place to start because you can add the tofu in small quantities so that it's not the dominant ingredient, just to give it a try.

I also like a traditional dish called Ma Po, which is like stir-fried tofu with vegetables. It is usually served with a sauce that is mildly spicy (or, again, can be much hotter depending on where you get it) but it is a nice healthy dish with a lot of flavor.

Everyone who has talked about making the tofu with strong flavor is right. Tofu is much like snails (escargot) in that it takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it in, so it needs a good strong boost of taste or you'll end up eating the most boring food ever.

Sorry for the ramble, hope that helps! :)

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1946891' date='Aug 12 2009, 09:07 AM']I like tofu with chopped up pineapple, apples, bananas, some grapes...throw some lime juice and pico de gallo on top, tasty![/quote]

What's that thingy called? Chop-shop or whatever? With the Shamwow pitchman.

VeniteAdoremus

I love tofu \o/

My favourite dish is tofu tandoori. Basically like chicken tandoori, only you use tofu :) if you can find tandoori spices: you just marinate the tofu in oil with the herbs, then cook rice and stir-fry the tofu with some veggies, throw the rice in, and add some cream (soy or regular) and more tandoori spices. Yum.

Note: I really like the structure. So if you don't, you probably won't like this, either.

My mum does something magical with tofu that makes it tasty with a crunchy crust, but I've never been able to emulate it.

Oh, and smoked tofu has a [i]very[/i] nice taste of its own!

InHisLove726

[quote name='Dan' post='1946899' date='Aug 12 2009, 09:07 AM']Open the package, let the tofu dry out and then use it as a door stop.[/quote]

:lol_roll:

Food fight. Tofu is neat because it bounces. You can bank it off a couple walls, and still peg your friend in the back of the head! :D

princessgianna

[quote name='jumpfrog' post='1946885' date='Aug 12 2009, 05:02 AM']Get the extra-firm kind, and then squeeze the block between two plate to get more water out of it. Then slice it into 1/2 inch (1cm) slices, and a) sear them on both sides in a oiled pan b) grill them a few minutes on each side (oil the grill well.) Now the tofu will hold up respectably in a stir fry, stew, soup, what have you.

Alternately, you can get regular tofu and throw it in the freezer; when it thaws it will have a latticed structure that holds up well in other dishes.

If you are near an Asian grocery, you might find some uncurdled tofu there...it comes in a soft plastic tube. Use it to make a wonderful spicy soup: Soondooboo jigae. Here is a recipe:

[url="http://mykoreankitchen.com/2006/11/29/uncurdled-tofu-stew-sundubu-jjigae-in-korean/"]http://mykoreankitchen.com/2006/11/29/uncu...igae-in-korean/[/url]

I eat this every friday with rice.[/quote]
Sounds very adventures! :lol_roll:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/harry+gregson-williams/track/the+stone+table"]Harry Gregson-Williams - The Stone Table[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1946891' date='Aug 12 2009, 07:07 AM']I like tofu with chopped up pineapple, apples, bananas, some grapes...throw some lime juice and pico de gallo on top, tasty![/quote]

Interesting. Raw tofu with fruit... and pico blah blah whatever on it. with Lime juice...fascinating.
[quote name='Dan' post='1946899' date='Aug 12 2009, 08:07 AM']Open the package, let the tofu dry out and then use it as a door stop.[/quote]
:mellow:

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1946951' date='Aug 12 2009, 10:43 AM']:yes: Jason the Mighty Kitchen Warrior, Defender of Vino. :)

PG, I have tried incorporating a little tofu into my diet as well, not for any particular desire to be a vegetarian or because I have scruples over eating animals (meat is murder...tasty, tasty murder LOL)...I just have some issues digesting lots of meat, so I've tried to find some other ways to eat good protein.

For me, I prefer the silky tofu. It is smooth in consistency and avoids that whole "wow I just ate a kitchen sponge" feeling that some of the firmer tofu definitely gives. The first time I ate tofu it was the firm kind and I swore I would never go within 50 feet of the stuff again. However, the right texture combined with the right flavor profile makes a big difference.

My favorite is to have the silky tofu in small cubes and added to Hot and Sour Soup, which is a Chinese favorite. It is a vinegar-based soup with some mild spice to it (it can be flaming hot depending on who prepares it) and I am sure that you could find some good recipes for it. Soups are a good place to start because you can add the tofu in small quantities so that it's not the dominant ingredient, just to give it a try.

I also like a traditional dish called Ma Po, which is like stir-fried tofu with vegetables. It is usually served with a sauce that is mildly spicy (or, again, can be much hotter depending on where you get it) but it is a nice healthy dish with a lot of flavor.

Everyone who has talked about making the tofu with strong flavor is right. Tofu is much like snails (escargot) in that it takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it in, so it needs a good strong boost of taste or you'll end up eating the most boring food ever.

Sorry for the ramble, hope that helps! :)[/quote]
Thank you so much for everything. Especially for such an in depth post. :) I am totally starting a new here. So ever comment of wisdom is welcome.

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1947281' date='Aug 12 2009, 04:39 PM']I love tofu \o/

My favourite dish is tofu tandoori. Basically like chicken tandoori, only you use tofu :) if you can find tandoori spices: you just marinate the tofu in oil with the herbs, then cook rice and stir-fry the tofu with some veggies, throw the rice in, and add some cream (soy or regular) and more tandoori spices. Yum.

Note: I really like the structure. So if you don't, you probably won't like this, either.

My mum does something magical with tofu that makes it tasty with a crunchy crust, but I've never been able to emulate it.

Oh, and smoked tofu has a [i]very[/i] nice taste of its own![/quote]
Wow that actaully sounds good- tofu tandoori-the name sounds appealing.

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1946697' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:53 PM']Ok so I am considering trying tofu- though what do you do with it? I am not sure.

Just trying to be adventures.

:eat: PG[/quote]

Get rid of it. Quickly.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='jumpfrog' post='1946885' date='Aug 12 2009, 07:02 AM'][url="http://mykoreankitchen.com/2006/11/29/uncurdled-tofu-stew-sundubu-jjigae-in-korean/"]http://mykoreankitchen.com/2006/11/29/uncu...igae-in-korean/[/url][/quote]

I have this site bookmarked, too. :hehe: She has a lot of really great recipes. (I wish she were still updating the site! :( )

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1947281' date='Aug 12 2009, 04:39 PM']I love tofu \o/

Oh, and smoked tofu has a [i]very[/i] nice taste of its own![/quote]

FIND OUT how your Mom does it--the crunchy part!!

I would KILL to know how!!

(well, not kill, but you get the idea...)

Before you enter, girl!!

NOW!

(thanks!)