An Old School Catholic Message Board

Stephen Hawking Enters U.s. Health Care Debate

Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor

[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/12/stephen-hawking-enters-us_n_257343.html"]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/12/s...s_n_257343.html[/url]

n an editorial on July 31, Investor's Business Daily warned of end-of-life counseling in health care reform by saying people like Stephen Hawking "wouldn't have a chance" in the such a system.

[indent]People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the U.K., where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless.[/indent]

In fact, Professor Hawking lives in England, where he has been treated by their National Health Service. And by his own account, it saved his life.

"I wouldn't be here today if it were not for the NHS," he told The Guardian. "I have received a large amount of high-quality treatment without which I would not have survived."

The Hawking reference in the IBD editorial has since been removed, with this correction added: "This version corrects the original editorial which implied that physicist Stephen Hawking, a professor at the University of Cambridge, did not live in the UK." They don't acknowledge that the NHS has kept Hawking alive there.

wow, that was sneaky, and a very underhanded retraction/ "apology".

lol

hehehe, when will people learn, when you make up junk to prove your case you only look good for the few minutes before somebody with the rel facts takes you down hard. then you are worse off than before.

dairygirl4u2c

it's not like hawkings culdn't have gotten something on his own, anyway, if the government wouldn't have covered him. or anticipated it etc.

it's like in england, even if there were 'lines' and such, for care through the government, a person can always get what they want on their own.
they shouldn't have to, if htey're paying taxes for it, but.
the health system of the government should be self sufficient, and/or assist people like that.

the devil is in the details.
and it depends on the bill that passes.
instead of talking abpout good ideas, the public is so stupid, they get caught up in things like "death councils" and stuff like that.
then again, the media doesn't inform them very much, or assist them in not sounding like morons.
just ranting.

KnightofChrist

Yes, there are those on the right who are using arguments that are untrue. However the same is true for the left. Such as that Obama has never been a proponent of single payer, and that this health care reform will not lead us in that direction.

Even Michael Moore today was honest enough to state that a single payer plan will be the result of this reform. Unlike Obama, Moore is a proud liberal and doesn't try to hide it.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1947366' date='Aug 12 2009, 05:45 PM']Yes, there are those on the right who are using arguments that are untrue. However the same is true for the left. Such as that Obama has never been a proponent of single payer, and that this health care reform will not lead us in that direction.

Even Michael Moore today was honest enough to state that a single payer plan will be the result of this reform. Unlike Obama, Moore is a proud liberal and doesn't try to hide it.[/quote]
It will only lead there if we take it there. You can't just assume it will.

Obama has since amended his statements about his support for a single payer system. In fact, there is a whole thread right here talking about that. You know, the one where he said that the Canadian [b]single payer [/b]system wouldn't work in the U.S.?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1947370' date='Aug 12 2009, 07:50 PM']It will only lead there if we take it there. You can't just assume it will.

Obama has since amended his statements about his support for a single payer system. In fact, there is a whole thread right here talking about that. You know, the one where he said that the Canadian [b]single payer [/b]system wouldn't work in the U.S.?[/quote]

Has Obama amended his statements or is he lying? I mean why not call him a liar since you can call others that? Since he actual has said two contradictory statements.

At a resent town hall meeting he said "I have never been a supporter" of a single payer system, but he is on record as say he was a "proponent of a single payer system".

Anyway Good Night brother.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1947383' date='Aug 12 2009, 05:59 PM']Has Obama amended his statements or is he lying? I mean why not call him a liar since you can call others that? Since he actual has said two contradictory statements.

At a resent town hall meeting he said "I have never been a supporter" of a single payer system, but he is on record as say he was a "proponent of a single payer system".

Anyway Good Night brother.[/quote]
He lied. Or forgot. Since no one believes he's worth more than the dirt he walks on, either one is a possibility.

or perhaps people change. their opinions certainly do. otherwise Fidei here would still be catholic, every convert on PM would still be an atheist or whatever they were before, and i would still be single :P

the way REAL people make decisions and live their lives includes lots of change, both of ideals and ideas. it is kind of silly to assume people will not or cannot change their minds without proof.

"but wait, some time ago scientist believed it was possible to turn lead into gold, so are you lying now? or were you lying then? either way, what you have to say is worthless."
:rolleyes:

KnightofChrist

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1947384' date='Aug 12 2009, 07:00 PM']He lied. Or forgot. Since no one believes he's worth more than the dirt he walks on, either one is a possibility.[/quote]

He is the President of the Untied States, and even though I strongly disagree with many of his policies and some of the wicked things he supports, he deserves the honor of his office, and the dignity of his humanity. I do not hate President Obama, I pray God give him wisdom and strength to lead us where God wills.

Edited by KnightofChrist

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1947398' date='Aug 12 2009, 06:14 PM']He is the President of the Untied States, and even though I strongly disagree with many of his policies and some of the wicked things he supports, he deserves the honor of his office, and the dignity of his humanity. I do not hate President Obama, I pray God give him wisdom and strength to lead us where God wills.[/quote]
Funny, I always got the impression that the respect that was being shown was for the office of the anti-christ :unsure:

KnightofChrist

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1947405' date='Aug 12 2009, 08:20 PM']Funny, I always got the impression that the respect that was being shown was for the office of the anti-christ :unsure:[/quote]

An Antichrist, yes, but his office must still be respected. As one of the Saints of the Church taught even if Satan where Pope we must still respect the office, I'm paraphrasing but that's pretty close.

Edited by KnightofChrist

Yes, a professor like Hawking would never have private insurance either on his own or through his university. Without the NHS, he would be dead. :blink: Even smart people can make dumb statements.

Maybe the point of the editorial is to say people in a condition like Hawkings would not receive the same care as Hawkings. Yes, everyone is equal; it's just that some are more equal than others.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='kamiller42' post='1947683' date='Aug 12 2009, 09:38 PM']Yes, a professor like Hawking would never have private insurance either on his own or through his university. Without the NHS, he would be dead. :blink: Even smart people can make dumb statements.

Maybe the point of the editorial is to say people in a condition like Hawkings would not receive the same care as Hawkings. Yes, everyone is equal; it's just that some are more equal than others.[/quote]
I think the point of the editorial was to stir up fear that if we had a system like the UK, lots of people would end up dead.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1947687' date='Aug 12 2009, 11:40 PM']I think the point of the editorial was to stir up fear that if we had a system like the UK, lots of people would end up dead.[/quote]
People don't die in the UK. The healthcare there is THAT AMAZING!