An Old School Catholic Message Board

Whom Do You Think To Have Been The Best British Monarch?

Resurrexi

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nihil Obstat

Proper grammar indicates that the question should read "Who..." rather than "Whom..." I looked it up beforehand because I knew you'd go there. ^_^

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1948507' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:47 PM']Proper grammar indicates that the question should read "Who..." rather than "Whom..." I looked it up beforehand because I knew you'd go there. ^_^[/quote]

No, [i]whom [/i]should certainly be used since it is the direct object of [i]do think[/i].

[quote name='QuoteMan' post='1948513' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:51 PM'][i]Whom[/i] just doesn't sound correct in this case. Try reading it out-loud to yourself.[/quote]

What is grammatically correct is often not pleasing to the ear.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1948516' date='Aug 13 2009, 10:53 PM']What is grammatically correct is often not pleasing to the ear.[/quote]

This thread is more correct than the one you made about how Jesus would look.

I say you drop 'grammatically' from that phrase and make it your motto.

[quote name='QuoteMan' post='1948519' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:54 PM']I would have worded it as "Whom Do You Think Was The Best British Monarch?"[/quote]

I that case it should be, "Who do you think was the best British monarch?".

Edited by Resurrexi

It's really an unfair question - you give us the monarchs from the three hundred most recent years only, which barely scratches the surface.... but let's see if we can come up with at least a few criteria:

1. Didn't behead anyone... well that would include everybody after Anne...
2. Didn't actively invade & conquer any unsuspecting countries... that would include...
3. Remained faithful to spouse, at least in public... definitely NOT George IV...
4. Length of reign ...Victoria's ahead but Elizabeth's gaining on her and still looks strong....
5. Looks good in ermine and jewels... that eliminates George VI - he never looked good in anything

What am I forgetting, you guys?

Nihil Obstat

Whom should be used if your answer would be "him". Who should be used if "he" would be in the answer.

[i]Who[/i] was the best monarch?
[i]He[/i] was the best monarch.

[i]Whom[/i] would you rather have lived under?
I would rather have lived under [i]him.[/i]

Saint Therese

[url="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e3/Queen_Victoria_by_Bassano.jpg/210px-Queen_Victoria_by_Bassano.jpg"]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm..._by_Bassano.jpg[/url]

I'm glad Elizabeth the first wasn't on the list. I might have voted for Bloody Mary(had she been on the list ) just to spite her.

Edited by Saint Therese

[quote name='zunshynn' post='1948522' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:56 PM']This thread is more correct than the one you made about how Jesus would look.[/quote]

The title to that thread was completely correct in regards to grammar.

It may not have been very coherent, but it was correct.

:mellow: