QuoteMan Posted August 14, 2009 Posted August 14, 2009 (edited) You tell me. Edited August 14, 2009 by QuoteMan
QuoteMan Posted August 14, 2009 Posted August 14, 2009 I really have no clue. I've never really taken an interest in British Monarchs.
Nihil Obstat Posted August 14, 2009 Posted August 14, 2009 Proper grammar indicates that the question should read "Who..." rather than "Whom..." I looked it up beforehand because I knew you'd go there.
Resurrexi Posted August 14, 2009 Author Posted August 14, 2009 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1948507' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:47 PM']Proper grammar indicates that the question should read "Who..." rather than "Whom..." I looked it up beforehand because I knew you'd go there. [/quote] No, [i]whom [/i]should certainly be used since it is the direct object of [i]do think[/i].
QuoteMan Posted August 14, 2009 Posted August 14, 2009 [i]Whom[/i] just doesn't sound correct in this case. Try reading it out-loud to yourself.
Resurrexi Posted August 14, 2009 Author Posted August 14, 2009 [quote name='QuoteMan' post='1948513' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:51 PM'][i]Whom[/i] just doesn't sound correct in this case. Try reading it out-loud to yourself.[/quote] What is grammatically correct is often not pleasing to the ear.
QuoteMan Posted August 14, 2009 Posted August 14, 2009 I would have worded it as "Whom Do You Think Was The Best British Monarch?"
zunshynn Posted August 14, 2009 Posted August 14, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1948516' date='Aug 13 2009, 10:53 PM']What is grammatically correct is often not pleasing to the ear.[/quote] This thread is more correct than the one you made about how Jesus would look. I say you drop 'grammatically' from that phrase and make it your motto.
Kitty Posted August 14, 2009 Posted August 14, 2009 There are grammar Nazis, but I think Resurrexi would be classified as a grammar Hitler.
Resurrexi Posted August 14, 2009 Author Posted August 14, 2009 (edited) [quote name='QuoteMan' post='1948519' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:54 PM']I would have worded it as "Whom Do You Think Was The Best British Monarch?"[/quote] I that case it should be, "Who do you think was the best British monarch?". Edited August 14, 2009 by Resurrexi
Luigi Posted August 14, 2009 Posted August 14, 2009 It's really an unfair question - you give us the monarchs from the three hundred most recent years only, which barely scratches the surface.... but let's see if we can come up with at least a few criteria: 1. Didn't behead anyone... well that would include everybody after Anne... 2. Didn't actively invade & conquer any unsuspecting countries... that would include... 3. Remained faithful to spouse, at least in public... definitely NOT George IV... 4. Length of reign ...Victoria's ahead but Elizabeth's gaining on her and still looks strong.... 5. Looks good in ermine and jewels... that eliminates George VI - he never looked good in anything What am I forgetting, you guys?
Nihil Obstat Posted August 14, 2009 Posted August 14, 2009 Whom should be used if your answer would be "him". Who should be used if "he" would be in the answer. [i]Who[/i] was the best monarch? [i]He[/i] was the best monarch. [i]Whom[/i] would you rather have lived under? I would rather have lived under [i]him.[/i]
Saint Therese Posted August 14, 2009 Posted August 14, 2009 (edited) [url="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e3/Queen_Victoria_by_Bassano.jpg/210px-Queen_Victoria_by_Bassano.jpg"]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm..._by_Bassano.jpg[/url] I'm glad Elizabeth the first wasn't on the list. I might have voted for Bloody Mary(had she been on the list ) just to spite her. Edited August 14, 2009 by Saint Therese
Resurrexi Posted August 14, 2009 Author Posted August 14, 2009 [quote name='zunshynn' post='1948522' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:56 PM']This thread is more correct than the one you made about how Jesus would look.[/quote] The title to that thread was completely correct in regards to grammar. It may not have been very coherent, but it was correct.
Luigi Posted August 14, 2009 Posted August 14, 2009 [quote name='QuoteMan' post='1948513' date='Aug 14 2009, 12:51 AM'][i]Whom[/i] just doesn't sound correct in this case. Try reading it out-loud to yourself.[/quote] That's a cute rule, but it holds little validity. "Ain't" sound right to plenty of plenty of people.
Luigi Posted August 14, 2009 Posted August 14, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1948530' date='Aug 14 2009, 12:58 AM']The title to that thread was completely correct in regards to grammar. It may not have been very coherent, but it was correct. [/quote] 'regards' is inccirrect in the sentence above - 'regard' is correct.
QuoteMan Posted August 14, 2009 Posted August 14, 2009 [quote name='Luigi' post='1948532' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:59 PM']That's a cute rule, but it holds little validity. "Ain't" sound right to plenty of plenty of people.[/quote] Those people have much to learn.
Resurrexi Posted August 14, 2009 Author Posted August 14, 2009 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1948528' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:57 PM']Whom should be used if your answer would be "him". Who should be used if "he" would be in the answer. [i]Who[/i] was the best monarch? [i]He[/i] was the best monarch. [i]Whom[/i] would you rather have lived under? I would rather have lived under [i]him.[/i][/quote] If the title of this thread had been a declarative sentence, it would have been phrased, "I think [b]him [/b]to have been the best British monarch."
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now