An Old School Catholic Message Board

Whom Do You Think To Have Been The Best British Monarch?

Resurrexi

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='QuoteMan' post='1948513' date='Aug 14 2009, 12:51 AM'][i]Whom[/i] just doesn't sound correct in this case. Try reading it out-loud to yourself.[/quote]
That's a cute rule, but it holds little validity. "Ain't" sound right to plenty of plenty of people.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1948530' date='Aug 14 2009, 12:58 AM']The title to that thread was completely correct in regards to grammar.

It may not have been very coherent, but it was correct.

:mellow:[/quote]

'regards' is inccirrect in the sentence above - 'regard' is correct.

[quote name='Luigi' post='1948532' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:59 PM']That's a cute rule, but it holds little validity. "Ain't" sound right to plenty of plenty of people.[/quote]
Those people have much to learn.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1948528' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:57 PM']Whom should be used if your answer would be "him". Who should be used if "he" would be in the answer.

[i]Who[/i] was the best monarch?
[i]He[/i] was the best monarch.

[i]Whom[/i] would you rather have lived under?
I would rather have lived under [i]him.[/i][/quote]

If the title of this thread had been a declarative sentence, it would have been phrased, "I think [b]him [/b]to have been the best British monarch."

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1948528' date='Aug 14 2009, 12:57 AM']Whom should be used if your answer would be "him". Who should be used if "he" would be in the answer.

[i]Who[/i] was the best monarch?
[i]He[/i] was the best monarch.

[i]Whom[/i] would you rather have lived under?
I would rather have lived under [i]him.[/i][/quote]

Absolutely correct in every detail. Nihil Obstat wins this round - Resurrexi is defeated, and publicly! Let the record reflect!

[quote name='Luigi' post='1948526' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:57 PM']It's really an unfair question - you give us the monarchs from the three hundred most recent years only, which barely scratches the surface.... but let's see if we can come up with at least a few criteria.[/quote]

Actually, I did indeed give you the list of [b]British monarchs[/b].

The kings and queens I listed were those since the Kingdom of Scotland and the Kingdom of England were merged by the [i]Acts of Union[/i] to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain.

[quote name='Luigi' post='1948540' date='Aug 14 2009, 12:03 AM']Absolutely correct in every detail. Nihil Obstat wins this round - Resurrexi is defeated, and publicly! Let the record reflect![/quote]

That is incorrect. My (somewhat irregular) construction of an indirect statement used an infinitive.

Rather than using the ordinary construction, which would have been, "You think that he was the best British Monarch" (turned into the question "Who do you think was the best British monarch"), I used a different construction. My construction, "I think him to have been the best British monarch," would become the question "Whom do you think to have been the best British monarch?".

Edited by Resurrexi