An Old School Catholic Message Board

Okay Girls I Need Your Advice

Saint Therese

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1948763' date='Aug 14 2009, 11:30 AM']+J.M.J.+
i can't have bangs because my hair is too curly.[/quote]
i can't have them because i don't have enough hair. :unsure:

[quote name='rachael' post='1948978' date='Aug 14 2009, 03:27 PM']i can't have them because i don't have enough hair. :unsure:[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
did you cut your hair?

I had bangs as a child, but I hated how I always had to get them trimmed, so I've never had them since. As it is I only cut my hair about once a year. Hairdressers always scold me for it.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1948778' date='Aug 14 2009, 11:38 AM']I was thinking more of the former. Why are the horizontal ones so terrible? :unsure:[/quote]
Then yeah, do it.

The horizontal ones are just too block-y and hardly anyone looks good with them. I've lied before and told people I liked the way they looked in them. In general, people do not look good with straight bangs. Most people actually just look like idiots.

The Kardashian girl is my first thought. I don't think she's hideous. But I think she's MUCH cuter when her bangs are pinned back. :ohno:

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1948749' date='Aug 14 2009, 01:03 PM']if by bangs you mean anything relatively horizontal and/or above or at the eyebrow, NO NO NO NO NO NO.[/quote]

:yes:
They should never be a blunt, straight across cut. Even if they have the appearance of being straight across there should be subtleties to the cut that make it less drastic, harsh, and nerdy. I've seen my sister in law do this (she's a pro hairdresser) and it looks good, but I can't really describe her technique.

I don't wear bangs because of curls (not since the 90's when big curled bangs were hugely popular :blush:), and since I don't want to worry about trimming them every few weeks my girls don't have them either.

rizz_loves_jesus

I think fringe bangs look really adorable on oval faces. But that's just me :)

Edited by rizz_loves_jesus

I've never quite gotten over having bangs; trims were annoying and my face got greasy quicker, I found. But maybe someday I'll get slanted wispy ones. I have a high forehead, so it would look nice. Bet it would for you, too. :)

InHisLove726

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1949010' date='Aug 14 2009, 06:15 PM']Then yeah, do it.

The horizontal ones are just too block-y and hardly anyone looks good with them. I've lied before and told people I liked the way they looked in them. In general, people do not look good with straight bangs. Most people actually just look like idiots.[/quote]

The first thing I though of when I read this is Moe from Three Stooges:

[img]http://www.freewebs.com/skump/moe%20howard.jpg[/img]

mariahLVzJP2

Bangs are cute, go for it! I cut my bangs every Fall and let them grow out the rest of the year. i do the side bangs as they grow out. its fun to change up your look once in a while :)

homeschoolmom

[quote name='morostheos' post='1949004' date='Aug 14 2009, 06:08 PM']I had bangs as a child, but I hated how I always had to get them trimmed, so I've never had them since. As it is I only cut my hair about once a year. Hairdressers always scold me for it.[/quote]
When my dd was little (2-3) I used to trim her bangs with scotch tape. Just tape 'em and cut off the tape. It's straight and the hair didn't fall into her eyes. I would never do that now, but when she was little, it worked like a charm.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1949010' date='Aug 14 2009, 06:15 PM']Then yeah, do it.

The horizontal ones are just too block-y and hardly anyone looks good with them. I've lied before and told people I liked the way they looked in them. In general, people do not look good with straight bangs. Most people actually just look like idiots.[/quote]
HSdaughter just got her hair cut with bangs (NOT in the manner mentioned above-- we paid to have it done...) and it's straight and a little above the eyebrow. She doesn't look like an idiot. She wears the rest of it in a ponytail (most of the time). It's pretty much the way I wore my hair in high school, too (though she's only in middle school). It's cute. If it's not your cup of tea, no problem. Not everyone looks good with it, but I think she looks adorable.

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1949083' date='Aug 14 2009, 07:52 PM']The first thing I though of when I read this is Moe from Three Stooges:

[img]http://www.freewebs.com/skump/moe%20howard.jpg[/img][/quote]
That's not bangs....

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1948974' date='Aug 14 2009, 05:20 PM']+2[/quote]
+3

I wore bangs when I was little, because my hair was straight and it looked cute. but when my hair started getting curly my bangs freaked out and didn't know what to do and looked super awkward for a while. but now I just have long, curly, same-length hair that I part on the side when I'm bored.

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='Brigid' post='1950841' date='Aug 16 2009, 09:53 PM']+3

I wore bangs when I was little, because my hair was straight and it looked cute. but when my hair started getting curly my bangs freaked out and didn't know what to do and looked super awkward for a while. but now I just have long, curly, same-length hair that I part on the side when I'm bored.[/quote]

I have a high forehead too, and I used to have bangs, the long kind that I often pushed to the side. But then I got tired of having them trimmed and wanted a more "classic" look, and also, I almost never blowdry my hair and you have to do that or curl them if you want them to look good. Conversation about this with my friend Kat: "Thomist, why don't you get bangs?" "I used to have them. They were OK. They looked pretty good, but they take effort, and I'm not trying to impress anybody." "You could impress [i]me[/i] :)) !" "Heh. Nope." No more bangs.

Anyways, my summary is, if you're willing to spend 10 minutes or whatever to blowdry them, go for it. If you don't like it, they'll grow back. Just don't get 'em too short, you can always cut them shorter later.