An Old School Catholic Message Board

Swimmers Are Told To Wear Burkinis

Lil Red

+J.M.J.+
[url="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/6034706/Swimmers-are-told-to-wear-burkinis.html"]Article here.[/url] Snippet from article:
[quote]Douglas Murray, director of the Centre for Social Cohesion, last night condemned the practice. He said: "This kind of thing is extremely divisive.

"Non-Muslims see these extremist demands as an example of Muslims wanting things to fit into their lifestyle, when there aren't similar things organised for Hindus, Buddhists or Jews.

"It also puts moderate Muslims in an awkward position as it suggests, wrongly, that they are not devout enough, simply because they choose not to cover themselves in a shroud in a pool."[/quote]

homeschoolmom
:no: If it's a private swim club, I guess it's not a problem (though if I were a member, I might want my money back)... if it's municipal pools, this shouldn't be happening. If the dress if offensive, start your own gym.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1950892' date='Aug 16 2009, 11:47 PM']:no: If it's a private swim club, I guess it's not a problem (though if I were a member, I might want my money back)... if it's municipal pools, this shouldn't be happening. If the dress if offensive, start your own gym.[/quote]

:yes:

I'd kind of like to have a burkini. The pool is never warm enough, and the less skin I show, the better everyone seems to like it.

Thomist-in-Training

The article says the dress codes are during 1.5-hr swim sessions for Muslims, men's one time, women's another time, not [i]all [/i]the time the pool is open. Some of them are on Sunday morning, which doesn't seem like a time a Christian should [i]want [/i]to be at the pool... :shrug:

The Bus Station

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1950900' date='Aug 16 2009, 09:55 PM']I'd kind of like to have a burkini. The pool is never warm enough, and the less skin I show, the better everyone seems to like it.[/quote]

:lol_roll:

Archaeology cat

In a way I can understand since it's just for a short time slot. Pools often have times set aside where only families with young children or other specific groups can utilise the pool. On the other hand, since it's a public pool, it seems a bit weird to me.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea, especially because it's set times. I don't use public pools, and I really don't swim, but if I did, I think that's probably when I would go.

Edited by zunshynn

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1950892' date='Aug 16 2009, 10:47 PM']:no: If it's a private swim club, I guess it's not a problem (though if I were a member, I might want my money back)... if it's municipal pools, this shouldn't be happening. If the dress if offensive, start your own gym.[/quote]

Why not? It's a public pool, Muslim residents pay for the upkeep. It's not as though the pool has these dress codes of Muslim standards all the time, or even most of the time. As someone else pointed out the pools already have specific times set aside themed for particular groups. What is wrong with a time being set aside so a part of the population who would otherwise be culturally excluded may use the the pool they help pay for?

Edited by Hassan

VeniteAdoremus

I agree. I only swim in summers, because our community pool is roofless, and I actually feel very uncomfortable the first couple of weeks because I've been in long skirts all winter :) So I totally understand other women being uncomfortable.

Just like many uniform rules, I think it helps [i]against[/i] judgement and division. I bet there aren't many women who would stay at home/be asked not to go because they'd wear too MUCH ;) It's not Saudi Arabia where you're not allowed out on the streets without a veil, it's a pool which offers it at a short time slot.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Hassan' post='1951015' date='Aug 17 2009, 08:22 AM']Why not? It's a public pool, Muslim residents pay for the upkeep. It's not as though the pool has these dress codes of Muslim standards all the time, or even most of the time. As someone else pointed out the pools already have specific times set aside themed for particular groups. What is wrong with a time being set aside so a part of the population who would otherwise be culturally excluded may use the the pool they help pay for?[/quote]
Yeah, my first thought was to dismiss it as ridiculous, but the more I think about it, the less it bothers me since it's just specific times. I mean, the pool here is reserved for parents with children under 5 on Wednesdays from 10.30-12.00, and you have to sign up in advance for that. So it doesn't seem like a huge stretch to have a specific time set aside for Muslims, I guess.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Hassan' post='1951015' date='Aug 17 2009, 03:22 AM']Why not? It's a public pool, Muslim residents pay for the upkeep. It's not as though the pool has these dress codes of Muslim standards all the time, or even most of the time. As someone else pointed out the pools already have specific times set aside themed for particular groups. What is wrong with a time being set aside so a part of the population who would otherwise be culturally excluded may use the the pool they help pay for?[/quote]
When do the nudists get to swim? Aren't they culturally excluded?

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1951021' date='Aug 17 2009, 04:29 AM']Yeah, my first thought was to dismiss it as ridiculous, but the more I think about it, the less it bothers me since it's just specific times. I mean, the pool here is reserved for parents with children under 5 on Wednesdays from 10.30-12.00, and you have to sign up in advance for that. So it doesn't seem like a huge stretch to have a specific time set aside for Muslims, I guess.[/quote]
I agree.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1951039' date='Aug 17 2009, 02:10 PM']When do the nudists get to swim? Aren't they culturally excluded?[/quote]

Saturday from 8 to 10 actually...
I don't like it, it breaks my daily routine.