An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Can Trace My Family History Back To

Vincent Vega

I've never formally traced my family ancestry. But I know my American ancestry is recent. I believe my maternal grandfather's mother was from Denmark. My maternal grandmother's parents were from Newfoundland I think. On my father's side, everyone is from Central America, so presumably I have Indian (presumably Mayan) and Spanish ancestry.

I have an two cities named after my family on both sides: Farrah (in Lebanon) and McGrail (in Ireland).

Also I'm related to King Arthur. No, srsly :mellow:

Vincent Vega

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1951088' date='Aug 17 2009, 09:49 AM']My mom's family tree goes back over 1500 years. My dad's only about 300.[/quote]
Opposite for me, I can trace my Dad's Dad's side back 800 years to John de Walgrave, Sheriff of London. My Mom's side can only get back to ca. 1840, and my Dad's Mom's side to only about the same time.[quote]It also helps if your family had land or titles because then there are better records kept just because of the transfer of estates.[/quote]
And that's why I'm able to go back so far - I'm descended from the Waldegraves, Mannocks, and perhaps most notably, the Ludingtons, all of which more or less (albeit minor) noble families.

[quote name='Selah' post='1951236' date='Aug 17 2009, 01:40 PM']I have an two cities named after my family on both sides: Farrah (in Lebanon) and McGrail (in Ireland).

Also I'm related to King Arthur. No, srsly :mellow:[/quote]

Which one?

(There are several candidates for the historical Arthur.)

I'm reading one of the King Arthur stories in the fall for my medieval literature class. And I get to read Beowulf again too! I wish I was related to Beowulf.

[quote name='Selah' post='1951236' date='Aug 17 2009, 11:40 AM']I have an two cities named after my family on both sides: Farrah (in Lebanon) and McGrail (in Ireland).

Also I'm related to King Arthur. No, srsly :mellow:[/quote]
King Arthur was short too????

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Era Might' post='1951254' date='Aug 17 2009, 08:20 PM']I'm reading one of the King Arthur stories in the fall for my medieval literature class. And I get to read Beowulf again too! I wish I was related to Beowulf.[/quote]
Which King Arthur story? I love Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. And Beowulf rocks. I think I might name my next cat Hrunting.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='17 August 2009 - 03:36 PM' timestamp='1250537814' post='1951275']Which King Arthur story? I love Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. And Beowulf rocks. I think I might name my next cat Hrunting.
[/quote]
The version I'm reading is called "Le Morte d'Arthur." I've never read any version so it should be interesting. And I'm reading Sir Gawain and the Green Knight as well! Translated by JRR Tolkien.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='17 August 2009 - 02:10 PM' timestamp='1250536216' post='1951247']
<!--quoteo(post=1951088:date=Aug 17 2009, 09:49 AM:name=CatherineM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CatherineM @ Aug 17 2009, 09:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1951088"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My mom's family tree goes back over 1500 years. My dad's only about 300.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Opposite for me, I can trace my Dad's Dad's side back 800 years to John de Walgrave, Sheriff of London. My Mom's side can only get back to ca. 1840, and my Dad's Mom's side to only about the same time.<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It also helps if your family had land or titles because then there are better records kept just because of the transfer of estates.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
And that's why I'm able to go back so far - I'm descended from the Waldegraves, Mannocks, and perhaps most notably, the Ludingtons, all of which more or less (albeit minor) noble families.
[/quote]

Mine are the De Nevilles, De Beauchamps, De Ogles, De Percys, De Clares, and De Greys on the English side, Capets, Brionnes, Dupuys, Anjous, on the French side, and Canmores in Scotland. I forget the Italians, they were from Tuscany, but ran to Switzerland when they became Protestants.

[quote]
King Arthur was short too????
[/quote]

:(

I really don't know which historical Arthur it is. Something. I'll ask dad.

Marie-Therese

[quote name='CatherineM' date='17 August 2009 - 09:00 PM' timestamp='1250557243' post='1951534']
Mine are the De Nevilles, De Beauchamps, De Ogles, De Percys, De Clares, and De Greys on the English side, Capets, Brionnes, Dupuys, Anjous, on the French side, and Canmores in Scotland. I forget the Italians, they were from Tuscany, but ran to Switzerland when they became Protestants.
[/quote]

Good grief!! How much royalty are you descended from?

My people were just poor potato farmers from County Cork. LOL Reeds and Reagans and Lindseys.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Marie-Therese' date='18 August 2009 - 12:29 AM' timestamp='1250569780' post='1951726']
My people were just poor potato farmers from County Cork. LOL Reeds and Reagans and Lindseys.
[/quote]
Well that's what you get for being Irish. :mellow:

Marie-Therese

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='18 August 2009 - 12:39 AM' timestamp='1250570351' post='1951731']
Well that's what you get for being Irish. :mellow:
[/quote]

Don't hate. Irish is extremely cool.
My Native American half might get mad. ;)

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Marie-Therese' date='18 August 2009 - 12:44 AM' timestamp='1250570672' post='1951737']
Don't hate. Irish is extremely cool.
My Native American half might get mad. ;)
[/quote]
Hey, I got nothin against the AmeriIndian. In fact, I find her music and language very intriguing.
I'm talkin to the dirty Irishman(/lady) standing beside her. :annoyed: