An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Can Trace My Family History Back To

Vincent Vega

VeniteAdoremus

Well good for you! Have some fish and chips on that. On a Friday, of course.

Unfortunately, the "break from Rome" coincided with my country's independence, so I can't properly mourn it. My earliest known ancestor lived during the time of the independence war. Then the family was in the Catholic underground for a couple of centuries. Then Catholicism was decriminalised. Then the sixties came and only two of the 100+ great-grandchildren of my great-grandparents are still Catholic. Huzzah for oppression!

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1950981' date='Aug 17 2009, 12:10 AM']England, when [u][b]S[/b][/u]he hadn't yet broken from Rome.[/quote]

I wasn't aware that England was divine.

My mom's family tree goes back over 1500 years. My dad's only about 300. It helps if you have Mormon cousins, or rich cousins who can afford professional genealogists, or cousins who are rich Mormons. It also helps if your family had land or titles because then there are better records kept just because of the transfer of estates.

The Bus Station

I don't know much about my ancestry, I'd like to look into it. I do know that I'm a descendant of the first group English settlers in Jamestown (on my mom's side), which is pretty cool.

My neighbor's great great great great great grandfather is John Hancock.

Marie-Therese

My Irish family came over during the potato famine as indentured servants; the Cherokee half was already here for a while. LOL But they were wiped out largely by cholera and then relocated after the Trail of Tears. My great-great grandmother was a straight outta the woods Indian who was adopted by a white family.

So, in other words, I come from a long line of people who can't catch a break. :lol_roll:

On my dad's side, Jesse James is my cousin.

One of my ancestors was drawn and quartered on order of Edward II. They stuck his head on London Bridge. It was rumored that he had been sleeping with the king, and the queen put her foot down.

Henry Ford asked one of my relatives for a loan to help start his company. He turned him down. :mellow:

Most of my relatives were also affiliated with the mafia in some way.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1951088' date='Aug 17 2009, 09:49 AM']My mom's family tree goes back over 1500 years.[/quote]

Usually genealogies going back that far are partially legendary in the earlier parts...

Vincent Vega

What's even cooler, is even after the she-god England broke from Rome, that particular part of my family remained Catholic, and were therefore recusant, with one of my ancestor's sons even becoming a Capuchin priest (who was taken prisoner, imprisoned in the Tower of London, but was released upon the request of Henry IV of France).
Yeah.
I'm that cool. :mellow:

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

We traced lineage on my mom's side back to before the American Revolution; a distant cousin wanted to join the Daughters of the American Revolution so she did all the work. The most interesting story she uncovered was about a distant ancestor who came over along with his wife and five kids. The ship capsized mid-Atlantic, and they put women and children on lifeboats. He tried to get on the one with his wife and kids but others on the boat chopped off his fingers so he couldn't, because he would've sunk the lifeboat. :( The wife and children settled in Pennsylvania eventually.