An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Can Trace My Family History Back To

Vincent Vega

It's my mom. She's descended from lots of daughters, wayward younger sons and black sheep. Once you are related to one, you are related to all of them because they interbred a shocking amount. I have the same people on my family tree so many times, I'm lucky I don't have an ear growing out of my forehead. My mom is a royal mutt, and my father is a pure-blood Irishman. His mom was from County Longford, and his dad from County Cavan. That's about 2/3rds of the way up in the middle.

Archaeology cat

Evidently my father's family is Norman. 1066!

[quote name='Era Might' date='17 August 2009 - 10:57 PM' timestamp='1250546274' post='1951368']
The version I'm reading is called "Le Morte d'Arthur." I've never read any version so it should be interesting. And I'm reading Sir Gawain and the Green Knight as well! Translated by JRR Tolkien.
[/quote]
Very cool.

Aloysius_bear

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='18 August 2009 - 02:38 AM' timestamp='1250577492' post='1951776']

Very cool.
[/quote]

I love sir gawaian and beowulf too! I read them for my lit class last semester.

....I think I'm related to Paul McCartney lol

VeniteAdoremus

Le Mort d'Arthur is great, but nothing beats The Once and Future King. Srsly. Read it. Don't get too attached to it during the first part, though, or you will cry. :)

I am the spawn of at least 300 years of small farmers, but my eldest known ancestor had a legacy of 1200 florins, so he was pretty rich. No royalty, though, I'll have to make do with being a daughter of the King :)

I really like reading how people in immigrant societies track down their ancestors and decide what their own culture is.

Everything is so localised here, it really matters what province you are from (and the largest province is slightly smaller than Delaware). My sister lives a three-hour train ride away, but the people there speak with a completely different accent and generally have quite a different attitude than where I live.