An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should We Proselytize the Eastern Orthodox?

aByzantineCatholic

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1840575' date='Apr 19 2009, 03:50 PM']I am sure that there are Eastern Orthodox Christians who try to convert Roman Catholics (and Eastern Catholics) to Orthodoxy, just as there Roman Catholics -- like Resurrexi -- who try to convert Orthodox to Catholicism, but the Roman Church itself has rejected proselytism of individuals in favor of restoring communion at the corporate (ecclesial) level.[/quote]

hey now... Resurrexi can disagree with you on the subject without being accused of proselytizing Eastern Orthodox. Calling a PM member out by name when there is no proof of this is a bit out of line.

[quote name='rkwright' post='1840582' date='Apr 19 2009, 03:08 PM']hey now... Resurrexi can disagree with you on the subject without being accused of proselytizing Eastern Orthodox. Calling a PM member out by name when there is no proof of this is a bit out of line.[/quote]
My repeating what Resurrexi said in his own post does not involve accusing him of anything; instead, it simply involves repeating what he said in his own post, i.e., that he is for proselytizing Eastern Orthodox Christians.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1836363' date='Apr 15 2009, 02:35 PM']We should certainly proselytize the Eastern Orthodox. They are in heresy and schism.[/quote]

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1840090' date='Apr 18 2009, 11:08 PM']Is not the salvation of those individual souls in heresy in schism important? I am personally opposed, by the way, to Eastern Orthodox Christians converting to Latin Catholicism if there is a possibility for them to become Eastern Catholic instead.[/quote]
As a point of interest... I knew an Eastern Orthodox person who converted to Catholicism, but was told she could not convert to the Latin Rite, but had to convert into an Eastern Rite.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1840589' date='Apr 19 2009, 04:19 PM']My repeating what Resurrexi said in his own post does not involve accusing him of anything; instead, it simply involves repeating what he said in his own post, i.e., that he is for proselytizing Eastern Orthodox Christians.[/quote]

No he said he believes in it. You said he tries it. There is a difference in advocating and acting.

[quote name='rkwright' post='1840597' date='Apr 19 2009, 03:25 PM']No he said he believes in it. You said he tries it. There is a difference in advocating and acting.[/quote]
So you are saying that he is not true to his beliefs. Whatever.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1840601' date='Apr 19 2009, 02:26 PM']So you are saying that he is not true to his beliefs. Whatever.[/quote]

If I say that Catholics should pray in front of abortion clinics that doesn't mean that I myself pray in front of abortion clinics, nor does my personal decision not to participate in prayer in front of abortion clinics mean that I am not true to my belief that it is something Catholics ought to do.

Maybe Ressurexi thinks that we as Catholics ought to proselytize Orthodox but he himself has not either:
1. had a chance to proselytize
2. been called to proselytize personally and therefore not actively engaged in it.

There is a difference Apo, and it isn't hypocritical.

[quote name='Slappo' post='1840838' date='Apr 19 2009, 06:41 PM']If I say that Catholics should pray in front of abortion clinics that doesn't mean that I myself pray in front of abortion clinics, nor does my personal decision not to participate in prayer in front of abortion clinics mean that I am not true to my belief that it is something Catholics ought to do.

Maybe Ressurexi thinks that we as Catholics ought to proselytize Orthodox but he himself has not either:
1. had a chance to proselytize
2. been called to proselytize personally and therefore not actively engaged in it.

There is a difference Apo, and it isn't hypocritical.[/quote]
I both believe that it is a good thing to pray in front of an abortion clinic, and I have done just that. My beliefs influence my actions.

That said, I think all those who are offended for Resurrexi should let him speak for himself. Do any of you know whether or not he has ever talked to an Eastern Orthodox Christian? For all we know he could have, because he has said that he has visited Orthodox liturgies in the past (including last night).

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1840842' date='Apr 19 2009, 05:43 PM']I both believe that it is a good thing to pray in front of an abortion clinic, and I have done just that. My beliefs influence my actions.[/quote]

Surely you aren't trying to make the point that everything one believes to be a good thing to do must either be something that he himself does or he is not true to his beliefs?

EDIT: My points weren't in defense of ressurexi at all. It was more in defense of rkwright who you assumed was saying something that was not contained in the words he wrote.

Edited by Slappo

[quote name='Slappo' post='1840855' date='Apr 19 2009, 06:54 PM']Surely you aren't trying to make the point that everything one believes to be a good thing to do must either be something that he himself does or he is not true to his beliefs?[/quote]
I'm simply saying that a tree is known by its fruit.

[quote name='Slappo' post='1840855' date='Apr 19 2009, 07:54 PM']Surely you aren't trying to make the point that everything one believes to be a good thing to do must either be something that he himself does or he is not true to his beliefs?

My points weren't in defense of ressurexi at all. It was more in defense of rkwright which you made to look foolish.[/quote]

aw you think he made me look foolish? :(

I thought I made my point pretty well when Apo says "Whatever." and chose not to respond any further. No point in kicking the dead horse.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1840857' date='Apr 19 2009, 05:55 PM']I'm simply saying that a tree is known by its fruit.[/quote]

You didn't answer the question. You yourself know it would be foolish to say that everything one believes to be a good action must be a good action he himself participates in if he is to hold true to his belief.

[quote name='rkwright' post='1840859' date='Apr 19 2009, 05:57 PM']aw you think he made me look foolish? :(

I thought I made my point pretty well when Apo says "Whatever." and chose not to respond any further. No point in kicking the dead horse.[/quote]

I edited it like 10 seconds before you hit the reply button or something lol.

Foolish wasn't the right word, but he did make you appear to be saying something not inherent in the words you wrote.

You never said that ressurexi was not true to his beliefs...

[quote name='Slappo' post='1840860' date='Apr 19 2009, 06:57 PM']You didn't answer the question. You yourself know it would be foolish to say that everything one believes to be a good action must be a good action he himself participates in if he is to hold true to his belief.[/quote]
We must seek to do all that is good. All our actions should be motivated by our beliefs, and if our beliefs have no impact upon our actual behavior, they are pointless. Theosis is the actualizing of our beliefs, and to experience theosis we must recapitulate all that Christ did. Such is the teaching of St. Maximos.

[quote name='rkwright' post='1840859' date='Apr 19 2009, 06:57 PM']aw you think he made me look foolish? :(

I thought I made my point pretty well when Apo says "Whatever." and chose not to respond any further. No point in kicking the dead horse.[/quote]
No sense in being offended. I simply realized that you and I were unlikely to agree, so rather than waste your time I ended the discussion, but if you would prefer to continue it, I will.

God grant you many joyful years.