An Old School Catholic Message Board

How To Choose A Handgun?

Groo the Wanderer

Under duress, a shotgun will be your best bet, and a round from a handgun will go through drywall when you miss, which you probably will. If you stick with a handgun, there are specialty rounds designed to fragment so as to diminish penetration through walls.

Get a dog. It's an early warning system and might save you the hassle of dealing with the idiocy they put you through for shooting a bad guy.

This thread makes me want to have a gun...

I've never even shot one.. :(...

and I live in Alaska... gun owning territory of the united states!

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Winchester' date='21 August 2009 - 11:04 AM' timestamp='1250870643' post='1953826']
Under duress, a shotgun will be your best bet, and a round from a handgun will go through drywall when you miss, which you probably will. If you stick with a handgun, there are specialty rounds designed to fragment so as to diminish penetration through walls.

Get a dog. It's an early warning system and might save you the hassle of dealing with the idiocy they put you through for shooting a bad guy.
[/quote]
Depends on the dog. Some dogs make poor guard dogs because they kill first, warn you later. ;)
Neapolitan mastiffs, I believe, will sneak up behind an intruder and go for the neck before they make a sound. :saint:

The Bus Station

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='20 August 2009 - 06:04 PM' timestamp='1250805859' post='1953380']
I've never shot a gun.

:sadwalk:

I am much more urban than rustic.
[/quote]

You're also 15. :mellow:

[quote name='Slappo' date='21 August 2009 - 03:55 PM' timestamp='1250884543' post='1953937']

[/quote]

iawtp. :sadwalk:

[quote name='Hassan' date='20 August 2009 - 08:10 PM' timestamp='1250813435' post='1953474']
My only point being that while I'm sure there is some difference between an M16 and the .22 little training rifles that you see being sold at Wal-Mart, I just don't think it's the number of times you get shot.
[/quote]
The title indicates he wants a handgun, not an assault rifle :wacko:

dauntingknight

[quote name='Sparky' date='20 August 2009 - 11:40 PM' timestamp='1250826024' post='1953613']
Since I am headed to school, I decided a while ago that I wasn't getting a gun. almost all of the time I have a knife of some sort, and I also know how to use other types of weapons in limited fashion. Here is the knife I have most of the time:
[img]http://sparkyoutofmind.net/public/crkt_stiff_kiss.jpg[/img]

When it comes to guns though, recently I was looking at a Taurus 24/7 and a HK USP .45 (kinda dropped that one after I found out what it costs). Another on I was looking at was a FN Five-seveN.
[/quote]
I carry a small pocket knife all the time unless I'mgoing someplace where you have to go through security.
I used to carry a big swichtblade around but I stopped that after my little incident at the St. louis Arch.

Story:
My family went to the arch one afternoon and after we went through security and where in the meseum I put my hand in my pocket and felt my big knife.
"oh poo, well act casuall and if anybody catches me I'll tell them I'm a Boy Scout"
I went through the metal detector and it did'nt catch that nice big peice of stainless steel.
Anywho that's when I started carrying a much smaller knife but big enough to get the job done.

Nice knife though.
[quote name='Winchester' date='21 August 2009 - 12:04 PM' timestamp='1250870643' post='1953826']

[/quote]
Let's just stick with a powerfull hand gun that you get anyplace but Wally World.
Otherwise you may need it to get out of the place + it's probably made in china.

Rosemary's Goddaughter

My personal choice has always been a Sig P239 in 9mm. As was mentioned before, a high-quality expanding 9mm round will be just as effective as the larger calibers as far as stopping power. 9mm also tends to be a rather more affordable cartridge to buy.

If your wife is going to be handling the gun as well, you'll need to consider her frame and hand size. I'm fairly petite and have very small hands (with long spindly fingers), so it's difficult and uncomfortable for me to handle the full-sized pistols.

for a good defense round, look for Glaser Safety Slugs (sp?). They can really tear a hole in something even in a 9mm.

[quote name='dauntingknight' date='22 August 2009 - 02:15 PM' timestamp='1250964954' post='1954301']
Let's just stick with a powerfull hand gun that you get anyplace but Wally World.
Otherwise you may need it to get out of the place + it's probably made in china.
[/quote]
Yeah, I'm going to need a translator.

dauntingknight

[quote name='Winchester' date='23 August 2009 - 02:01 AM' timestamp='1251007299' post='1954759']
Yeah, I'm going to need a translator.
[/quote]
Otherwise you may need it(the gun) to get out of the place(wal mart) +(plus) it's probably made in china.

I don't like walmart if you can't tell. <_<

Edited by dauntingknight

[quote name='dauntingknight' date='23 August 2009 - 02:55 PM' timestamp='1251053755' post='1955010']
Otherwise you may need it(the gun) to get out of the place(wal mart) +(plus) it's probably made in china.

I don't like walmart if you can't tell. <_<
[/quote]

Now now, the Chinese make lots of not-so-quality goods for low prices, always. ;) Or easier put, I agree that Chinese made goods are croutons; dunno about their guns though. I imagine they equip the PLA with the quality guns they make, and sell the not so good ones to Americans.

[quote name='Slappo' date='21 August 2009 - 03:55 PM' timestamp='1250884543' post='1953937']

and I live in Alaska... gun owning territory of the united states!
[/quote]
dude, that is unforgivable. when peoplwe think "gun states" they think Texas, Alaska, and Montana.

[quote name='The Bus Station' date='21 August 2009 - 07:29 PM' timestamp='1250897351' post='1954051']
You're also 15. :mellow:

[/quote]
SO?! i started shooting when i was 7. my gramdpa took me out to his friend's farm and they went to shoot pinecones in a pond with a big buffulo gun. that thing knocked me right on my butt.

my dad and i go out in the fields to shoot about every 2 months, it used to be a lot more. and of course im having to shoot snakes and stuff every so often.