Lil Red Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 [quote name='Birgitta Noel' date='Apr 6 2004, 02:33 PM'] Also waiting for mine from Bookcloseouts.com...... [/quote] wanna bet we'll get it the same day?
phatcatholic Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 i got it, so i'll try to participate also.....
Fiat_Voluntas_Tua Posted April 7, 2004 Posted April 7, 2004 Word...I am trying to find a copy...start whenever. Pax et Agape per Maria...
the_rev Posted April 8, 2004 Posted April 8, 2004 I have recieved my copy of the Lambs Supper! I already read the first chapter, and tomrrow in English we have a reading day so I will be reading it for my class tomorrow!
Enda Posted April 8, 2004 Posted April 8, 2004 I have that book. Shouldn't be hard to flip through it, count me in DUst.
Margarite Posted April 8, 2004 Posted April 8, 2004 Three catholic bookstores, one public library, one Vroman's bookstore and finally! I got my copy from Barnes and Noble. WOOHOO! I'm ready.
Theoketos Posted April 8, 2004 Posted April 8, 2004 What is the Key to Understanding the Mass? Well I can tell it does not involve Geese... ...but a vision given to the beloved disciple and written down as Revelation!
Margarite Posted April 9, 2004 Posted April 9, 2004 I would like to know if we are going to have books with the [i][b]Nihil Obstat[/b][/i] and the [i][b]Imprimatur[/b][/i]. They are official declarations that a book of pamphlet is free of doctrinal and or moral error. I know The Lamb's Supper does have it.
Ellenita Posted April 9, 2004 Posted April 9, 2004 (edited) Ooooo dUSt, any old excuse not to start reading and discussing the book eh?! I mean really, having a new baby son.....!!! Seriously though, this is a really good book.... Edited April 9, 2004 by Ellenita
Theoketos Posted April 10, 2004 Posted April 10, 2004 (edited) If you can Listen to Dr. Hahn's Convertion story before or while you read the book. It gave me chills. Edited April 10, 2004 by Theoketos
CatholicCrusader Posted April 10, 2004 Posted April 10, 2004 I suggest as a book for next month: [u]Liberalism is a Sin[/u]. It was written in 1886, and the man who wrote it was rebuked by his bishop. The bishop wrote a book and called for [u]Liberalism is a Sin[/u] to be placed on the banned books list. However, after reviewing the two books, the banned books list said that [u]Liberalism is a Sin[/u] is a perfect defense of Catholic teaching, and the bishop's book was placed on the banned books list. It is quite interesting. I have just begun reading it, but it was a great book. My friends tell me that no matter who reads it, he finds that he is a liberal. I wanted to see if this was true for me, for I knew it couldn't be...so far so good. God bless.
Pio Nono Posted April 10, 2004 Posted April 10, 2004 JMJ 4/10 - Holy Saturday If it was written in 1886, then it is probably addressing classical liberalism, such as is held today by many Libertarians and conservative Republicans. Classical liberalism says that if you see a man lying in a gutter, he got himself there - you don't have to worry about anything because it's his fault, not yours. The Church [i]vehemently[/i] opposed such thought with books like this, as well as Pope Leo XIII's encyclical [i]Rerum Novarum[/i]. The Second Vatican Council also condemned such thought in [i]Gaudium et Spes[/i]. People like Michael Medved, Pat Buchanan and Pat Robertson (sic, I think) would be MORE than happy to be called liberals in the classical sense. Modern liberals are mere socialists.
CatholicCrusader Posted April 11, 2004 Posted April 11, 2004 [quote]If it was written in 1886, then it is probably addressing classical liberalism, such as is held today by many Libertarians and conservative Republicans. Classical liberalism says that if you see a man lying in a gutter, he got himself there - you don't have to worry about anything because it's his fault, not yours. The Church vehemently opposed such thought with books like this, as well as Pope Leo XIII's encyclical Rerum Novarum. The Second Vatican Council also condemned such thought in Gaudium et Spes. People like Michael Medved, Pat Buchanan and Pat Robertson (sic, I think) would be MORE than happy to be called liberals in the classical sense. Modern liberals are mere socialists. [/quote] 1) It addresses only RELIGIOUS liberalism. However, it does mention (in the preface, I think) that it can be applied to politics, et al. 2) Rerum Novarum doesn't say you have to have welfare... (but you are right--it does mention rights of the worker, such as a minimum wage) 3) I don't think Pat (Buchanan) would leave someone in a gutter unless it were a Mohammadist or another heretic, which we aren't required to aid. We, obviously, should give our money to poor and suffering Catholics. No Catholic would deny one of the members of the Church Militant money if he so needed (if he wishes to remain a Catholic). God bless.
Jericho923 Posted April 11, 2004 Posted April 11, 2004 i am in...i am buying it tomorrow or tuesday!!!
luciana Posted April 12, 2004 Posted April 12, 2004 (edited) This coming week is perfect, I have off from work! Let's start!!! I agree with you Theoketos, his conversion story is great! It was one of the first conversion stories I heard. It made me so happy to be Catholic! :wub: :hearts: BTW,You can get a free copy of the tape from the MaryFoundation ( www.catholicity.com) Edited April 12, 2004 by labrego
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now