Lounge Daddy Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 [url="http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0909/House_guidelines_for_Presidential_putdowns.html"]According to an article at The Politico[/url]: [quote]it has been held that a member could not: • call the President a “liar.” • call the President a “hypocrite.” • describe the President’s veto of a bill as “cowardly.” • charge that the President has been “intellectually dishonest.” • refer to the President as “giving aid and comfort to the enemy.” • refer to alleged “sexual misconduct on the President’s part.”[/quote] Maybe it's not a big deal at this time. Small potatoes. But i really think it's going down a very bad road when the (former?) land of the free begins passing rules and guidelines on what one can say and cannot say about anyone. Especially the president. But then again, we are now the U.S.S.A. (The United Socialist States of America). So watch what you say about Dear Leader.
homeschoolmom Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 Can I shout, "The Emperor has no clothes"? Stupid. Whatever happened to free speech?
Sojourner Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='16 September 2009 - 11:14 AM' timestamp='1253114071' post='1967514'] Stupid. Whatever happened to free speech? [/quote] Apparently our president is too thin-skinned to support it.
MIKolbe Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 with the national debt climbing to heights unseen, we cannot offer free speech anymore. so sry.
Sojourner Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 croutons. Now we have to pay for speech too? What's next, paying to use the Web?
dominicansoul Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 im really loving how the media gets on a case and works on that propaganda for obama. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112810126 now those of who disagree with the president are racists???
kamiller42 Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 The party which showed little decorum during the Bush presidency is now dictating the rules of decorum. Makes as much sense as putting the individuals responsible for the crash of 2008 in charge of hearings and new regulations on ethics in financial markets. Oh wait; that's been done. Sign, Jimmy Carter judged southern racist
Didacus Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 [quote name='dominicansoul' date='16 September 2009 - 11:52 AM' timestamp='1253116331' post='1967531'] im really loving how the media gets on a case and works on that propaganda for obama. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112810126 now those of who disagree with the president are racists??? [/quote] And this surprises you how?
Guest Servant of Divine Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 [quote name='Lounge Daddy' date='16 September 2009 - 09:16 AM' timestamp='1253107016' post='1967477'] [url="http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0909/House_guidelines_for_Presidential_putdowns.html"]According to an article at The Politico[/url]: Maybe it's not a big deal at this time. Small potatoes. But i really think it's going down a very bad road when the (former?) land of the free begins passing rules and guidelines on what one can say and cannot say about anyone. Especially the president. But then again, we are now the U.S.S.A. (The United Socialist States of America). So watch what you say about Dear Leader. [/quote] Saying stuff like this doesn't help anyone. It impeeds progress while making you, this website, and the Church it represents look ignorant.
picchick Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 Now, I am not one to know how presidential address to congress are conducted. But isn't anything like an interruption to a speech rude anyways? I don't care for Obama. I don't man people on this site do. I also don't care for his health care reform and I feel that the governement/Obama is making an ant hill out of a mole hill. However, is it still ok to interrupt someone's speech without permission to do so?
cmotherofpirl Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 [quote name='Servant of Divine' date='16 September 2009 - 02:34 PM' timestamp='1253122493' post='1967569'] Saying stuff like this doesn't help anyone. It impeeds progress while making you, this website, and the Church it represents look ignorant. [/quote] Telling the truth is not impeding progress. We ARE headed to socialism. Not admitting the obvious is a bit silly, and while silly can be appropriate at times, this is not one of them.
cmotherofpirl Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 [quote name='picchick' date='16 September 2009 - 02:56 PM' timestamp='1253123818' post='1967576'] Now, I am not one to know how presidential address to congress are conducted. But isn't anything like an interruption to a speech rude anyways? I don't care for Obama. I don't man people on this site do. I also don't care for his health care reform and I feel that the governement/Obama is making an ant hill out of a mole hill. However, is it still ok to interrupt someone's speech without permission to do so? [/quote] Yes its rude, as it was equally rude for these same democrats who booed President Bush's State of the Union Address. However that has never stopped a member of congress from acting badly, they do it on a regular basis. They have always had rules of behavior, but that never stopped them before and I doubt it will stop them now. And while I deplore their behavior, I will defend the right of free speech, evn when made by idiots.
Lounge Daddy Posted September 16, 2009 Author Posted September 16, 2009 [quote name='picchick' date='16 September 2009 - 01:56 PM' timestamp='1253123818' post='1967576'] Now, I am not one to know how presidential address to congress are conducted. But isn't anything like an interruption to a speech rude anyways? ... [/quote] This is going beyond not interrupting someone. This is setting rules on what people can and cannot say when speaking about the president. Making this kind of thing the norm in this country is dangerous, no matter who's president. They are paving the way for outright tyranny.
Lounge Daddy Posted September 16, 2009 Author Posted September 16, 2009 [quote name='dominicansoul' date='16 September 2009 - 11:52 AM' timestamp='1253116331' post='1967531'] im really loving how the media gets on a case and works on that propaganda for obama. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112810126 now those of who disagree with the president are racists??? [/quote] That's an amusing article. Especially the part: [quote]... no one can point to a Democrat who, during a public address, verbally attacked or personally vilified President Bush during a public occasion despite intense disagreement over his policies, especially on national defense. It did not happen. [/quote] But yes it did. From [url="http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/0909/Reid_called_Bush_liar_stood_by_comment.html"]Senator Harry Reid on NBC’s Meet the Press, December 5, 2004[/url](via an article at The Politico: [quote]MR. RUSSERT: When the president talked about Yucca Mountain and moving the nation's nuclear waste there, you were very, very, very strong in your words. You said, "President Bush is a liar. He betrayed Nevada and he betrayed the country." Is that rhetoric appropriate? SEN. REID: I don't know if that rhetoric is appropriate. That's how I feel, and that's how I felt. I think to take that issue, Tim, to take the most poisonous substance known to man, plutonium, and haul 70,000 tons of it across the highways and railways of this country, past schools and churches and people's businesses is wrong. It's something that is being forced upon this country by the utilities, and it's wrong. And we have to stop it. And people may not like what I said, but I said it, and I don't back off one bit.[/quote] But the thing is, the donkey Republicrats and the elephant Republicrats in Versailles D.C. call each other liars all the time. Being the children that they are. And the President shouldn't be immune to the childishness. It's not a big step from here to banning the citizens themselves from being critical of Dear Leader.
picchick Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 Now, now...I am not saying that making those rules were good. I am in full support of free speech and will protect that freedom to my dying day. I was just wondering what the procedures of Congress were. I know that sometimes the interruptions are "allowed" but I wasn't sure if this was a case. Sorry for any misunderstandings.
fides quarens intellectum Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 [quote name='kamiller42' date='16 September 2009 - 11:16 AM' timestamp='1253117800' post='1967544'] The party which showed little decorum during the Bush presidency is now dictating the rules of decorum. [/quote] Seriously. This is the sitting president who went on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," for crying out loud. Talk about decorum.
KnightofChrist Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 Now what are Democrat Congressmen going to do when another Republican takes the White House? [quote name='fides quarens intellectum' date='16 September 2009 - 03:03 PM' timestamp='1253127802' post='1967616'] Seriously. This is the sitting president who went on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," for crying out loud. Talk about decorum. [/quote] He'll be on Letterman and a lot of the New Morning Shows in the coming days. I think it is because his speech to Congress failed to energize the public about his plan.
Secuutus Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 What do you expect? for the democrats to stay silent? It was rude and something needed to be done to make sure it doesn't happen again. As a Marine, who is proud to serve his country and his president, I was outraged to hear a public leader and someone kids look up to as a mentor, act in such a childish manner. Plus if he is going to call a man a liar, he should atleast be able to back that up. Under the new senate bill, illegal immagrants will not be able to recieve any benefits. Yeah there are some loopholes, but there are loopholes in everything. People just hate on Obama because he is black and a democrat. If he was black and a republican it would be okay, but lets be real, a black republican as president is not going to happen. Look how much of a fool the RNC makes Michael Steele(which i found sort of racist to see him elected as the chairman cause he is black) look, saying that he will woo blacks to the GOP with "fried chicken and patato salad". Do you see where Im coming from? [url="http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0909/27149_Page2.html"]http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0909/27149_Page2.html[/url]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now