Secuutus Posted September 17, 2009 Posted September 17, 2009 I thought it would be a good idea to start a topic on Health. Like what you do in the gym and your diet. Share information you know or the information you come across. Lets not make this political because taking care of yourself is not politics its a nescesity, especially now a days with the obesity levels rising and rising everyday! I love working out. I work out 5 days a week. lifting weights and doing cardio (A LOT OF IT!). As a Marine staying fit and being healthy is a necessity, but I wasn't like that. Before I joined I was over weight and slowly killing myself. Then I decided to join and I had to loose weight. It was hard in the beginning, but luckily I have a best freind who worked with me. After 6 months I dropped the weight, 35 lbs, and joined at the bear maximum! It was H E Double Hockey Sticks through Marine boot camp for someone who was over weight, but I lasted, and the result was after 13 weeks, i dropped 25 more lbs, and weighed in at 175. Now, since I am a reserve, Ive gained back like 15 lbs in one year. So that puts me at 190, but Im trying to loose it once again, so I'm back at a diet. Low carb diet with a excersise program. [b][u][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Monday: Chest and Back[/font][/size][/u][/b] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]1.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Dumb Bell Flyes[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]2.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Bent over barbell rows[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]3.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Barbell Bench Press[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]4.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Barbell shrugs[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]5.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Cable Cross overs[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]6.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Upright rows[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]7.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Finish with 20 minutes of cardio[/size][/font] [b][u][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Tuesday: Biceps, triceps [/font][/size][/u][/b] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]1.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Hammer Curl[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]2.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Dumbell curls[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]3.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Tricep push down with rope[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]4.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Standing barbell curl[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]5.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Close grip bench press[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]6.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Scull crusher[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]7.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Finish with 20 minutes of cardio[/size][/font] [b][u][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Wednesday: abs[/font][/size][/u][/b] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]1.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Crunchers[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]2.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Reverse crunches[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]3.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Leg lifts[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]4.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Side cruches[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]5.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Weighted crunches[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]6.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Fish with 30 minutes of cardio[/size][/font] [b][u][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Thursday: Shoulders[/font][/size][/u][/b] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]1.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Seated dumbell presses[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]2.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Side dumbell laterals[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]3.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Frot dumbell raises[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]4.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Lying rear delt dumbell lateral raises[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]5.[/size][/font] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]Military press[/size][/font] [b][i][font="Calibri"][size="3"]6.[/size][/font] [/i][/b][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Finish with 30 minutes of cardio[/font][/size] [b][u][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Friday: cardio[/font][/size][/u][/b] [font="Calibri"][size="3"]60 minutes of cardio If you all need help with nutrition plans and working out plans, let me know I would be more then happy to help. I plan on becoming a personal trainer soon. Maybe after christmas. [/size][/font]
rachael Posted September 17, 2009 Posted September 17, 2009 (edited) I enjoy sprints and lunges. And the elliptical machine when it is available. Edited September 17, 2009 by rachael
Secuutus Posted September 17, 2009 Author Posted September 17, 2009 Eliptical machines are not my choice of cardio. but for people who are over weight, this is an excelent starting point because people who are over weight can put a lot of pressure on there knees and hurt themselves or think its to much and give up. I run on a treadmill with an incline to about 6% sometimes 10% when I want to push my hard to relieve stress. I do interval training though.
rachael Posted September 17, 2009 Posted September 17, 2009 I am not trying to build more strength, though. I am just keeping pace. Sprints, running, elliptical will do.
Lil Red Posted September 17, 2009 Posted September 17, 2009 +J.M.J.+ i do 30 minutes on the elliptical every day. i was lifting weights/other exercises on m, w, f; but now i've switched to t, th. even then it's still hard to find the time between work, being a wife and a mom. but, i've lost about 5 lbs (it's really hard to lose baby weight!), and more importantly, inches.
CatherineM Posted September 17, 2009 Posted September 17, 2009 I do at least 200 situps every morning. When I have time, I do 600. I do water aerobics at least once a week, and usually twice. And I walk, a lot. Sometimes I walk to the bus stop when it is -40 outside so I can go walk at the mall. In summer I play disc golf a couple of times a month, and will be able to increase that when we have a car. The bus doesn't run to that course, so it's hard to get to otherwise. As to diet, I eat very little solid food. When I do eat it, it can take an hour or two for a sandwich. I mostly have precisely measured out protein shakes that have turmeric and psyllium fiber added to it. 1800 calories a day. Any less, I don't lose weight, any more I gain weight. Less than 1200 and I gain weight. My metabolism is very complicated.
Nihil Obstat Posted September 17, 2009 Posted September 17, 2009 Catherine, are these full situps, or 'crunchies'? Hehe, last time I did too many full situps, I ended up hurting my back to the point that it hurt to move and breathe for a week. Didn't make that mistake again.
Secuutus Posted September 17, 2009 Author Posted September 17, 2009 [quote name='Lil Red' date='16 September 2009 - 11:51 PM' timestamp='1253159461' post='1967929'] +J.M.J.+ i do 30 minutes on the elliptical every day. i was lifting weights/other exercises on m, w, f; but now i've switched to t, th. even then it's still hard to find the time between work, being a wife and a mom. but, i've lost about 5 lbs (it's really hard to lose baby weight!), and more importantly, inches. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img] [/quote] I would suggest incorporating stretching and core(your abs) workouts. stretching is not only a good way to help recover after a workout, or to improve flexibility, but its to also help you tone out your muscle. Everyone should stretch for atleast 15 minutes before and after your workouts.
CatherineM Posted September 17, 2009 Posted September 17, 2009 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='16 September 2009 - 11:01 PM' timestamp='1253160098' post='1967937'] Catherine, are these full situps, or 'crunchies'? Hehe, last time I did too many full situps, I ended up hurting my back to the point that it hurt to move and breathe for a week. Didn't make that mistake again. [/quote] Hands above my head, touch my toes. I don't do the hands behind the neck thing because that can hurt your neck. Using my arms all the way also gives them some exercise. I just put a cartoon on the TV, and get into a rhythm. Back before I was walking, and could only exercise in bed, I'd do 1200 a day.
Secuutus Posted September 17, 2009 Author Posted September 17, 2009 situps are important, but I wouldn't suggest doing 200 everyday, let alone 600. I would suggest mixed core excersises. Doing one thing constantly will cause you hit a plateau, and you benefit from it anymore. Add in crunches, reverse crunches, oblique crunches, single and double leg raises. Use a medicine ball, if you think it to easy.
CatherineM Posted September 17, 2009 Posted September 17, 2009 [quote name='Secuutus' date='16 September 2009 - 11:13 PM' timestamp='1253160824' post='1967946'] situps are important, but I wouldn't suggest doing 200 everyday, let alone 600. I would suggest mixed core excersises. Doing one thing constantly will cause you hit a plateau, and you benefit from it anymore. Add in crunches, reverse crunches, oblique crunches, single and double leg raises. Use a medicine ball, if you think it to easy. [/quote] I can't really twist at the waist, and can't lift either leg without assistance. Like if I need to put my leg up on a footstool, or pick it up to get in a car, I grab my pant leg to lift it up. There are very few things I can physically do, so I try to make the best of it.
Secuutus Posted September 17, 2009 Author Posted September 17, 2009 Oh I'm very sorry, I didn't realize the restraints u are in physicaly.
CatherineM Posted September 17, 2009 Posted September 17, 2009 [quote name='Secuutus' date='16 September 2009 - 11:20 PM' timestamp='1253161201' post='1967950'] Oh I'm very sorry, I didn't realize the restraints u are in physicaly. [/quote] De nada. I do highly recommend not going down a flight of stairs backwards headfirst.
Lil Red Posted September 17, 2009 Posted September 17, 2009 [quote name='Secuutus' date='16 September 2009 - 10:09 PM' timestamp='1253160581' post='1967944'] I would suggest incorporating stretching and core(your abs) workouts. stretching is not only a good way to help recover after a workout, or to improve flexibility, but its to also help you tone out your muscle. Everyone should stretch for atleast 15 minutes before and after your workouts. [/quote] +J.M.J.+ yup i do. those are part of the 'other exercises'.
Guest Servant of Divine Posted September 17, 2009 Posted September 17, 2009 I eat to gluttonly every day.
Secuutus Posted September 17, 2009 Author Posted September 17, 2009 Cathrine it is impressive that u can do 200 sit ups a day, I can only do maybe 100 if I try really well. I dont anyone who can do 200 actually! lol
Luthien Posted September 17, 2009 Posted September 17, 2009 I breastfeed. It does wonders for the waistline.
Luthien Posted September 17, 2009 Posted September 17, 2009 [quote name='Secuutus' date='17 September 2009 - 04:49 PM' timestamp='1253213369' post='1968138'] Luthien I did not know that.... [/quote] it burns 500-700 calories a day.
Lil Red Posted September 17, 2009 Posted September 17, 2009 [quote name='Luthien' date='17 September 2009 - 12:52 PM' timestamp='1253213543' post='1968140'] it burns 500-700 calories a day. [/quote] i can only imagine how fat i would be if i didn't also nurse
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now