An Old School Catholic Message Board

Blog Post On The Habit

HisChild

As I was perusing Br. Gabriel's (brgabeosb) community's blog site, I came across this post on the habit. I like the way the priest used Flannery O'Connor's quote. The post is [url="http://www.svamonks.org/search/label/The%20Holy%20Habit"]here[/url].

Edited to add his user name on Phatmass.

Edited by HisChild

AccountDeleted

I can not tell you how grateful I am for that post! Here is Australia, I would say that 99% of the religious sisters do not wear a habit and many priests do not wear their clerics. I was trying to explain to a religious sister why I felt there is going to be a resurgence of habits in new religious communities, and she said that she didn't think it was a good idea because it draws attention and makes one feel different or special or superior to others. I think the blog you linked really covers these points well, and makes so many more really good ones. Those who lived through the Council of Vatican II find it hard to want to take what they consider to be a "step backwards", and perhaps that is why the newer and younger communities seem to be thriving while the older ones are simply not getting the vocations any more. It has to do with the way young people think today, and they don't have all the baggage from the Council that many of us older Catholics do. But even there, there are so many who do want a return to the habit... on the weekend an elderly parishioner came up to me and said he was so happy to see a sister in habit again -- and all I was wearing was a blark skirt and jacket and a white shirt with crucifix - but to him even that seemed like a habit.

I love the way it was explained so beautifully - thank you for sharing that with us.

I don't think of it as a magical pass for favors as one sister once told me. But as for feeling different or special? Well, the sister IS different. And in this day and age where little respect is given to anyone, where men make passes at women, with little regard to a cross pin on her lapel or wedding ring on her finger, I would WANT him to see that I was more than just 'taken', I was taken by Christ.

When I was with the Sisters of Life, NO ONE ever came up to us and asked us in a challenging way why we were wearing the habit, as if it was a bad thing. If anything we had so many come up and thank us for our visible witness. There were also several who came up to talk to us about their faith, or even vocations. Conversations that never would have happened if they didn't know we were sisters. Conversely, there was a sister in my former parish who did not wear any visible garb that she was a sister. In fact, when introduced to her, she said, 'just call me MaryAnn' (name changed to protect her identity). If I had a vocation, even to her community, how would I know to talk to her, if I didn't even know she was a sister?

For me, wearing the habit may be a visible witness to others, but first and foremost, it's a visible sign to ME. It reminded me moment by moment that I was set aside for His Divine Majesty, that my behavior must reflect that accountability and grave privilege, that I wasn't necessarily set aside as being superior, but only with the higher responsibilities that come with consecration.

It really makes me sad when the religious garb is explained away by the idea that nuns don't want to separate themselves from the world, or they don't want to stand out. I think we need Sisters who are more in tune with the idea that they are called to be brides of Christ and WANT to wear their wedding dress each day.

My mom is a product of Vatican II, and went through the many changes, and she doesn't understand why I want to wear a habit. I've tried explaining it to her many times that it is a symbol of poverty and that I am setting myself apart for the Lord, who is calling me to His service. She doesn't understand the idea of the "call", as she's told me many times.

I would love to see the older groups of non-habited nuns go back to their habits, but unfortunately, that's a difficult step. That they think the Church is going backwards shows that they are not keen on change. :sadder:

[quote name='nunsense' date='24 September 2009 - 10:18 AM' timestamp='1253801911' post='1972111']
I can not tell you how grateful I am for that post! Here is Australia, I would say that 99% of the religious sisters do not wear a habit and many priests do not wear their clerics. I was trying to explain to a religious sister why I felt there is going to be a resurgence of habits in new religious communities, and she said that she didn't think it was a good idea because it draws attention and makes one feel different or special or superior to others. I think the blog you linked really covers these points well, and makes so many more really good ones. Those who lived through the Council of Vatican II find it hard to want to take what they consider to be a "step backwards", and perhaps that is why the newer and younger communities seem to be thriving while the older ones are simply not getting the vocations any more. It has to do with the way young people think today, and they don't have all the baggage from the Council that many of us older Catholics do. But even there, there are so many who do want a return to the habit... on the weekend an elderly parishioner came up to me and said he was so happy to see a sister in habit again -- and all I was wearing was a blark skirt and jacket and a white shirt with crucifix - but to him even that seemed like a habit.

I love the way it was explained so beautifully - thank you for sharing that with us.
[/quote]

Annie, your remarks about habits "drawing attention and making one feel superior to others" reminded me of this, which I think answers it well. http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/theanchoress/2009/05/03/may-3-world-day-of-prayer-for-vocations-the-habit/

I think it is sad to see religious people 'squabbling' over what to wear and all the why's and wherefores of habit or no habit - of religious clothing or secular clothing and attaching intrinsic meanings to both that necessarily do not apply.
[quote]Matthew Ch6 " 25 Therefore I say to you, be not solicitous for your life, what you shall eat, nor for your body, what you shall put on. Is not the life more than the meat: and the body more than the raiment?

26 Behold the birds of the air, for they neither sow, nor do they reap, nor gather into barns: and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not you of much more value than they? 27 And which of you by taking thought, can add to his stature by one cubit? 28[u][b] And for raiment why are you solicitous?[/b] [/u]Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they labour not, neither do they spin. 29 But I say to you, that not even Solomon in all his glory was arrayed as one of these. 30 And if the grass of the field, which is today, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, God doth so clothe: how much more you, O ye of little faith?

31 Be not solicitous therefore, saying, What shall we eat: or what shall we drink, [b]or wherewith shall we be clothed? 32 For after all these things do the heathens seek[/b]. For your Father knoweth that you have need of all these things. 33 Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you.[/quote]

In our day new charisms are emerging that are a thinking 'outside squares' our outside those determinations that have traditionally determined religious life, one of which was the habit. Human beings cannot resist almost 'advertising' or proclaiming identity in what they wear. The only people exempted from this irresistable urge we seem to have in the main, are the poor who most often cannot select what they are to wear to advertise individuality as it were. They have to wear simply what they can afford which is minimal in the extreme financially meaning there is no real freedom of choice, or perhaps rather quite limited freedom of choice. Another thought to ponder is why it is that all through Scripture the poor are held in such high regard by God.
I love the religious habit and love to see it out and about (though here in Australia it is an almost non existent) and I am all for religious orders that do wear some form of religious habit - and especially the traditional habit which I dearly love. But then I can fully appreciate those religious that wear secular clothing and their reasons. I do not think one particular call of The Holy Spirit cancels out another or is better than another. Certainly were I called to religious life, I would choose an order that wore a modified traditional habit - and would sincerely hope that I would regard this as my particular call and not cancelling out those religious that do not wear the habit. In the beginnings of religious life, religious simply wore their own clothing and this came to be standardized (as I understand things) to overcome the rich religious dressing richly while the poor had to wear clothing reflecting poverty.

Be all this as it may, I think that religious were instructed merely to modify their habits, not to abandon them. Of interest, Mother Teresa of Calcutta did not choose the traditional religious habit, rather a secular type of appearance of her particular society and it was the outstanding good works and holiness of the Sisters of Mother Teresa and herself that led to what they wore becoming identified by society as a religious habit. This has something to say. It witnesses quite loudly to these words of The Lord from the quotation above "33 Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you."

The religious habit after all is "standard dress" or a "uniform" on one level anyway.

Blessings and my regards..........Barb
Edit: I know of one religious order in modified habit who get quite a few young vocations, but they are not progressing to final vows I have been told, rather leaving beforehand. I dont think that this is witnessing to the virtues of either wearing or not wearing a traditionally held religious habit. If I were the superiors of the order, I would be questioning other matters.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

AccountDeleted

[quote name='DameAgnes' date='26 September 2009 - 08:18 AM' timestamp='1253909880' post='1972684']
Annie, your remarks about habits "drawing attention and making one feel superior to others" reminded me of this, which I think answers it well. http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/theanchoress/2009/05/03/may-3-world-day-of-prayer-for-vocations-the-habit/
[/quote]

Thank you so much for that link. It addresses exactly what was said to me by a religious sister here. I am starting to make a collection of these arguments for the habit, just in case I have to present them to the Archbishop. I have been told that he is conservative (or is the word "traditional"? I don't know what the correct adjective is these days) - which could be to my advantage. Perhaps he, too, is praying and hoping for the return of the habit, but since I haven't met him yet, I don't know. I do know that the "liberal" sister I spoke with seemed to be upset an his traditionalism - but I know that would just make me smile :rolleyes:

I loved the photo of the Benedictine sister on that blog as well - when one compares the beauty of that picture with the advertising photos of heavily made up and scantily clad girls trying to entice someone to buy something.... well, true beauty shines out, doesn't it?

I don't think that anyone here is squabbling about the habit but I do think that it is an issue that needs discussion and analyzing if we are to respond to the promptings of the Spirit in this day and age. There may have been a time when removing the habit seemed like a good idea - the egalitarian ideal. But the secularism of this world has gone so far that even the religious are unidentifiable. It reminds me a little of things that decay slowly and are unnoticed until one day, they crumble (like rotting wood from the inside, or rusting metal). We (as a society) remove all symbols of God from public places (crucifixes, 10 Commandments etc) until God is invisible to the eye. While one can understand this to a certain degree in the secular world (with it's "I, me, my mentality) - well, it just isn't understandable or acceptable in the religious arena. If a person has the courage to give their life to God, why don't they have the courage to wear something that declares they have done this?

If anyone thinks that wearing a habit is all about feeling special or superior, try wearing one in public and see what you really feel like. I found it very humbling and I know that with one active community, when I was wearing my black and white postulant outfit in public, with a veil, I looked like a nun to other people. What I felt was uncomfortable and self-conscious and with this tremendous awareness that people looked at me with certain expectations of behavior. After I was clothed in the Carmelite habit and had to go to the dentist, I felt as if I were standing out like a sore thumb amongst everyone else! I knew that I represented my community as well as being a witness for Christ, so I didn't want to slouch or cross my legs when sitting or do anything that might seem inappropriate for a religious - things that aren't bad and that I might feel very comfortable doing if I were just wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. Now perhaps over time, this self-consciousness would fade (I would like to hear from those who have been through it) but I do know that any specialness I felt was counterbalanced by an awareness of responsibility not to cause scandal or to dishonor the habit in any way. So this is really a two edged sword, and I believe that it can be a real act of humility to wear a habit. It is a lot easier to be invisible and blend in with the crowd when wearing secular clothes... so if you are feeling a bit cranky that day or wanting to withdraw into yourself, who knows that you are a religious and who would bother to ask you for prayers or just want to chat? I probably am not explaining this well, but even though the clothes don't make the person, they do remind one of their duty. Just think of a policeman in uniform and out of uniform - different expectations from the public, wouldn't you say, and a different sense of responsibility from the person wearing the uniform. Perhaps today the religious could be more like policemen - that is, wear their habit when out in public or on "official business" but then wear something more suitable to the task when not out and about (like the sisters who change for farm work or other activities).

I know this topic has been discussed many times before but this issue isn't going to go away, it is a very important one in this time of secularization of everything! It isn't a shallow or superficial issue at all.

[quote name='DameAgnes' date='25 September 2009 - 04:18 PM' timestamp='1253909880' post='1972684']
[/quote]

I thank you for posting that link. I agree with this statement in the blog:

[quote]Habits are not necessary to the life of a religious; that is absolutely true. They may well be necessary for the life of the world.[/quote]

:yes:

In age where violence is prevalent and all religious symbols are disappearing from public places, women and men religious really need to be soldiers of Christ and courageously step out with their striking habits. The many times that I have encountered habited religious, I have offered prayers for their vocations and I see it as setting a positive example in a world that would do away with them. As for the non-habited religious, I have nothing against them--they do their job well, but I cannot offer prayers for them because I never can distinguish them from the crowd. :ohno: I certainly pray for ALL religious in general because I desire to imitate the same life--the hidden and active life of Christ--and because I admire what they do for the Catholic Church.

I would never look down on non-habited religious as being somehow inferior. They have still made the sacrifice to follow Christ, but I would still like to see them return to the habit. It's really not enough to have a pin or a ring that anyone can wear. Not everyone can wear the habit. :saint:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='InHisLove726' date='26 September 2009 - 05:40 PM' timestamp='1253943620' post='1972885']
I thank you for posting that link. I agree with this statement in the blog:

:yes:

In age where violence is prevalent and all religious symbols are disappearing from public places, women and men religious really need to be soldiers of Christ and courageously step out with their striking habits. The many times that I have encountered habited religious, I have offered prayers for their vocations and I see it as setting a positive example in a world that would do away with them. As for the non-habited religious, I have nothing against them--they do their job well, but I cannot offer prayers for them because I never can distinguish them from the crowd. :ohno: I certainly pray for ALL religious in general because I desire to imitate the same life--the hidden and active life of Christ--and because I admire what they do for the Catholic Church.

I would never look down on non-habited religious as being somehow inferior. They have still made the sacrifice to follow Christ, but I would still like to see them return to the habit. It's really not enough to have a pin or a ring that anyone can wear. Not everyone can wear the habit. :saint:
[/quote]

That is so true... and I have the greatest love and respect for the sisters here who are doing such good work, and who do not wear the habit, but I still feel a little like something has been lost in giving up this sacramental witness to one's offering. It isn't that I want to judge anyone - I just feel such a sense of loss....

[quote name='nunsense' date='26 September 2009 - 01:50 AM' timestamp='1253944208' post='1972888']
That is so true... and I have the greatest love and respect for the sisters here who are doing such good work, and who do not wear the habit, but I still feel a little like something has been lost in giving up this sacramental witness to one's offering. It isn't that I want to judge anyone - I just feel such a sense of loss....
[/quote]

I agree with your statement earlier about the habit requiring a certain type of discipline--a very necessary discipline, if you ask me. I think it brings the religious order and Catholic Church a type of respect--but most importantly, it brings Christ to the people as a very outward witness. As I mentioned previously, I believe the men and women who wear the habit have such awesome courage (again, not that it brings the non-habited religious to any inferior level). :))

Here we go. The squabbling defense. Like moths to a flame. The habit always attracts the debate. But that's great. Debate is good. It allows for some serious theological discussion.

I don't think anyone here is squabbling. Or at least no one WAS. The blog post I originally linked shows the habit as an incredibly important witness to the life of the religious. It is what it is. Not wearing a habit is like a disabled Iraqi vet., who wants to protest the war, and goes about his day, going to work, eating at a restaurant, using crutches, but not wearing any other sign of how he came about using them. For all anyone knows, he could have gotten his mangled/missing leg from a car accident. Kind of ineffective. Few if any would walk up to him and ask him if he got his injury in the war, would they? And his 'protesting'? Pretty inconsequential. If he [b]wanted[/b] to be a witness to his life, maybe he'd put on a pair of fatigues or have something made proclaiming his injuries were from the war and to send the rest of his military comrades home. You can't make a statement unless people know what the statement is for.

Wearing a pin, usually no larger than a quarter, or a crucifix the same size as mine, doesn't proclaim you've given your life to God and 'ask me how you too can do it!' It just says you're wearing a piece of jewelry. Even 'specialized' pins to the Order the religious belongs to is the same/similar pin their 3rd Orders wear. Imagine the Madonna of the Streets medal the Sisters of Life wear. Would it be just as effective to witness to the world if they wore it with jeans and a t-shirt? Probably not, because I have that same medal; when I wear it, no one thinks I'm a sister.

I would challenge that if the religious truly didn't toss off the habit because they didn't want special favors, and not because they're ashamed to be a witness to their life and to God, they should wear something a little more obvious to their faith so that they can, in fact, be that witness.

It is true, there are religious who wear clothes of the times, but poor and modest clothing. There are also Orders founded in the last couple of decades who prefer to remain 'hidden in Christ' and opt to have no common dress. I know that's true. People have told me this about religious they know who opt for a modest and frugal life. However, there are many religious that I've personally met who are sporting perms, dye jobs, jewelry, makeup, sports cars that they purchased from the money they get from their secular jobs, apartments/houses with nicer furniture than my own (and I've got some pretty nice furniture), and clothes that could put a model or clotheshorse to shame. Their jobs aren't in the Church but are in very secular realms, which in and of itself isn't bad if they were a presence, a witness, but... there's that circular argument again. This isn't hearsay. This is my experience. I've gone on vocation retreats, I've been to homes for prayer groups. Obviously only a few homes, and I'm not generalizing about those who either do or don't wear the habit. Anyone with a level of common sense knows that unless a person says 'everyone always/never...' there is no generalization meant. But I'm also not going to water down my defense of the witness the habit provides with every other sentence being 'not that I don't respect those who don't wear the habit...'

As I said earlier, it's an incredible witness to the consecrated state in life, and when so many people are disrespectful to just about any stranger who walks by, the habit does offer a modicum of protection. It also jars people's minds, perhaps making them think of their own faith in God, or returning to the church. If/when I wear the habit again, I will gladly be that witness for our Lord, regardless of my own personal discomfort.

As an aside, yes, religious life started by those wearing secular clothing but poorer in colors and quality. No silks, no gaudy dyes, no fancy embroidery. (See St. Francis' 1221 Rule for clothing for an example) And if they were of an era with plunging necklines, etc. they'd wear clothes that would cover themselves up. But if one were to generalize, looking at the past as a whole, there were far more instances of modesty than not. In this day and age, one has to practically sew their own clothing if one wants to cover up! Shopping off the rack for modest secular clothing is a lot more difficult than it sounds.

As for superiority, I am like Nunsense. It made me feel very self conscious. I was aware of everything I said or did when I had my postulant's habit/dress and veil on. I cannot imagine how much more aware I'd be when wearing the full habit. It was almost to the point of being uncomfortable. Would I be able to be a proper witness? If someone came up to me and started asking questions, could I answer properly without making a fool of myself?

Saying all that, the habit is only a smaller part of the bigger picture. Many proclaim that those who wear the habit are getting more vocations than those who don't. Yes, it has to do with the habit. But from those I've questioned and read about, the young woman (or man for that matter) wants to know that when she enters religious life, she's sacrificing herself, offering herself to God, doing more than what she could do in her own home. She wants the communal prayer life, the community living with like minded women, and she wants to be a visible witness by wearing something that proclaims her life and faith loudly, something that even a Hindu would be able to identify. It's not ONLY about the habit. Although when bemoaning the sad state of religious life and statistics today, most people look to the habit first because they see that those congregations who do not wear the habit seem to be suffering more. Yes, those who are 'anti-habit' will spout statistics that, for example 'so-and-so congregation might have had 9 enter but 3 left!' Every Order has attrition, but in this case, 6 stayed and that's more in the novitiate for that one 'class' than has been in some congregations' novitiates in the past 5 years. Maybe that's because of the lack of religious garb, but perhaps it's much more than that. Perhaps it's also because of the community life, common apostolate and common prayer life that's also in the aspirant's heart when she is discerning her vocation that she's unable to find in these other crumbling congregations, causing them to, because of dwindling numbers, join up with other congregations just to survive.

Those 'more-progressive' Orders might currently boast that they represent 90% of religious life, but the Law of Attraction is quickly proving that stat's short-lived status, and it's not only because of the religious habit.

I think that there are very important reasons connected to the wearing of a religious habit - that it is sad that at times in the presenting of the case for the wearing of the religious habit (for example)criticism(s)/'put down(s)s' etc. of those religious who do not wear a habit are presented (and vv incidentally) - and very often changing the quite positive into something of a negative. The case for the habit can stand alone to my mind without negative critical cotent re no habit. As any case for no habit can stand alone without critical content of the habited. If a woman enters religious life and an order not wearing the habit and she proceeds to final vows, very obviously she has a vocation to that life - and while I am personally for the habit, I am not at all confident that The Holy Spirit is not calling women (and men) to those religious orders that are not habited and specifically so for God's Reasons. I think that there is room in The Church for habited and non habited religious without one being critical of the other. Certainly, I have heard comment that some find non habited religious easier to relate to and that the habit (for them) created a barrier. Then, equally, there are those that prefer to relate to habited religious. These are two examples only. Personally, I find both habited and non habited religious easy to relate to and that the person with or without the habit is the criteria.
Peace
Blessings and my regards.........Barb

• 2 years later...

The first Sister I ever met was at my home parish. Her name is Sister Estelle and she wears secular clothes. Everyone within our parish knows she is a sister, because they are familiar with her, but outside the parish, the visible witness ends. Of course, she is a very godly woman, and she definitely witnesses with her life which radiates the Gospel!

At my college, University of Dallas, there are cistercian monks in full habit, and Opus Dei Numeraries in secular clothes. Both are godly and fulfilling their vocation, but the habit is, of course, a great visual witness to those of us who don't take the time to acquaint ourselves with professors. The habit says, 'my life is all about God,' whereas the secular-clothed religious' LIFE should, in the same way as the habit, scream: "My life is all about God!"

I appreciate nunsense's above posts which describe how wearing the habit is not really an ego boost. Sure, the little old devout ladies cry and kiss and hug you, but for every one of those, you get 10 people who. just. stare.
I can't imagine how uncomfortable that is!

Overall, I think the decision to wear the habit or not to wear it can be reflected in Jesus' teaching on celibacy for the kindgom--although clothing is so much less important than the our vocation!!

(paraphrasing) Jesus said, "Some have become eunuchs for the sake of the kindgom. Whoever can accept this should accept it."
Likewise, I think this topic is reflected in Paul's teachings on vocation--that the unmarried consecrated state is the highest vocation, and marriage, likewise, is beautiful and a wonderful valid vocation also.

Off that bunny trail, I cite those passages because I see the habit/secular clothes so much in them. Wearing a habit is not always easy. As Jesus said: Whoever is willing to accept this, should! So YAY for habited religious!

Likewise, secular clothes can impart a powerful witness to those who would be put off by the habit. Just as Paul speaks of the dignity of the marriage state, so secular clothes have their own dignity and place in religious life. YAY for religious in secular clothing!

The problem comes when people try to put the 'opposing' party down in order to raise themselves (and their egos) up. We know this is disastrous with vocations--if you think the married vocation is bad, so you become religious, then something went horribly wrong somewhere!

BUT, as Paul and Jesus recognized the consecrated state as supreme, I don't think anyone can deny that, generally, habits give a supreme and undeniable witness-they are, in a way, heavenly/supernatural (like the consecrated state) clothing, and the public obviously recognizes this! However, in saying this, those who wear secular clothes should not feel belittled or ignored, because they have a beautiful place also in the Church! Some religious feel called to wear the natural clothing of our time, which ties into marriage being the 'natural' vocation. Yet, it is still altogether beautiful and has its mission and purpose!

If anyone thinks the analogy between habit/secular clothing and consecration/marriage is flimsy, please excuse me. It's late and I don't even know why I am on PM right now-addicting. I hope this post doesn't offend anybody. Like I said, the only Sister I grew up with and love wears secular clothing!

maximillion

I have known three people in the secular world who's actions and personality shout out the alignment of their hearts and lives - and one of them was not Catholic.These are not people to whom I was close.
I have seen sisters in habit do some very questionable things, things that get the people who also saw them stare and blink, and my heart to sink and for me to pray earnestly.
How many more sisters in habit have I seen who radiate joy, love, commitment, and with whom there is absolutely no doubt about the place of God in their lives as central? Many many many.
The habit is a constant reminder of one's state, of one's Vows and commitment, of the responsibility to keep it and the Church in good repute.
Purely my opinion, but I would say 'habit' every time!
But maybe that's because I loved mine.

organwerke

I think the habit is something essential in religious life.
I also think that it is an element of fear when considering religious life: you know you'll wear forever the same habit and you'll be always under others attention.
I think that wearing the habit is an element that helps you to realize sooner if you have a religious vocation or not.
Imagine you are a sister who does not wear the habit. You may have moments of "peace" where no one knows about your state and you may stay alone with yourself. You may have moments in which you can "forget" you're a sister. You may decide what to wear every day.
-instead, if you wear the habit, you always remember you've given up your own will and you haven't the power to decide what to dress: you are not "yours" anymore.
It is not a judgement on the sisters who do not wear the habit, it is a reflection about what the habit means in my opinion.