An Old School Catholic Message Board

Blog Post On The Habit

HisChild

The habit does not make one more holy, but the world is desperate for a sign. The hunger for God is incredible.

One sister was telling me that she was walking down the street one day. A man with both arms tattooed, not someone who looked like he would go to church etc, was walking towards her. Sister started to panic a bit, because she wondered what he was up to.

To her surprise he knelt on the ground, and asked her to bless him. She totally did not expect that!

It's not wrong for people to see a habit and expect you to lead them to God or to be a sign in the world.

LaPetiteSoeur

I know some novices in a non-habited community. They entered there because of the charism and the work the community does for the Church. And while I like this order a lot, I know I personally am not called to it because of the importance I place on living in community, Eucharistic Adoration, and communal prayer. But if the novices I know feel that this nonhabited community is the place God is calling them, and that this is how they can best live their vocation, who am I to question God?

organwerke

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1338996896' post='2441761']
I know some novices in a non-habited community. They entered there because of the charism and the work the community does for the Church. And while I like this order a lot, I know I personally am not called to it because of the importance I place on living in community, Eucharistic Adoration, and communal prayer. But if the novices I know feel that this nonhabited community is the place God is calling them, and that this is how they can best live their vocation, who am I to question God?
[/quote]

I don't think anyone is questioning God in fact. Even because the choice of not wearing the habit is not theirs but of the Institute, so one should question the Institue and not them in case. I guess anyway that they did not decide to enter that community [i]because [/i]they do not wear the habit. They love the charism and the work so if someone asked them if they would have entered the community even if they wore a habit I guess they'd answer yes. So I think the problem is not questioning the reasons for some persons feel called to orders who do not wear the habit but the sense and the meaning that the habit has in religious life.