StColette Posted October 2, 2009 Posted October 2, 2009 [quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='02 October 2009 - 04:05 PM' timestamp='1254513930' post='1976372'] Unfortunately that happened to me a few months ago, when the Bishop had given the recommendation of receiving in the hand etc. I went to receive from an EMHC and I had my hands folded behind my back (as a side note-- I find that easier to indicate that one is receiving on the tongue, especially if you are at a place where basically everyone receives in the hand and receiving from an EMHC). The man just held the Host and refused to give me Holy Communion. I politely whispered that I would prefer to receive on the tongue and he said 'no.' Instead of making a scene, I just received in the hand. I was tempted to speak to the pastor afterwards, but... I don't go to that church regularly. I have to admit I was a little upset. Which was pathetic-- I just received our Lord of Lords and I was back in my pew all angry. I mean, it was frustrating, but... well, what are you going to do? [/quote] Again it could have been a mis-communication. Our EMHCs were instructed to give Communion in the Hand only but if someone wished to receive on the tongue then you weren't to make a scene and you were to let them receive that way. Many people often misinterpret the words of the priests and thus things like the above situation you went through happen. A priest could say "recommend" and some people would interpret that as "required". lol Working in a Church office has taught me that you must be very very very precise with your instructions if not things like the above can happen.
Apotheoun Posted October 2, 2009 Posted October 2, 2009 If the bishop is really serious about preventing the spread of swine flu he should simply cancel all liturgical worship in his eparchy.
aalpha1989 Posted October 2, 2009 Author Posted October 2, 2009 [quote name='Apotheoun' date='02 October 2009 - 04:23 PM' timestamp='1254514996' post='1976380'] If the bishop is really serious about preventing the spread of swine flu he should simply cancel all liturgical worship in his eparchy. [/quote] kinda my thought, too. i really don't think receiving on the hand or on the tongue will make any difference at all. People are freaking out over nothing (the death rate of the normal strain of the flu virus is higher than that of the h1n1), and it is affecting worship. Not good. (of course the bishops could use this opportunity to reiterate that no more grace is received when the communicant receives under both species, thus it is only a fuller SIGN, not a fuller grace, which is received...)
HisChildForever Posted October 2, 2009 Posted October 2, 2009 [quote name='Apotheoun' date='02 October 2009 - 04:23 PM' timestamp='1254514996' post='1976380'] If the bishop is really serious about preventing the spread of swine flu he should simply cancel all liturgical worship in his eparchy. [/quote] I agree, it is rather ridiculous. My parish discourages shaking hands during the sign of peace. But everyone is still breathing on everyone, especially if Mass is crowded. And how many people touched the missal I pick up every Mass?? Or had their hands on the pew?? Seriously.
Resurrexi Posted October 2, 2009 Posted October 2, 2009 [quote name='Apotheoun' date='02 October 2009 - 03:23 PM' timestamp='1254514996' post='1976380'] If the bishop is really serious about preventing the spread of swine flu he should simply cancel all liturgical worship in his eparchy. [/quote] Especially since H1N1 is airborne.
Apotheoun Posted October 2, 2009 Posted October 2, 2009 [quote name='HisChildForever' date='02 October 2009 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1254516582' post='1976397'] I agree, it is rather ridiculous. My parish discourages shaking hands during the sign of peace. But everyone is still breathing on everyone, especially if Mass is crowded. And how many people touched the missal I pick up every Mass?? Or had their hands on the pew?? Seriously. [/quote] Placing communion in the hand is not very sanitary either, because the priest will still be touching hundreds of hands and spreading whatever germs are on them from person to person. Unless the priest intends to toss the host to each communicant.
sacredheartandbloodofjesus Posted October 2, 2009 Posted October 2, 2009 I have a question for Apo in the tattoo thread...
Archaeology cat Posted October 3, 2009 Posted October 3, 2009 [quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='02 October 2009 - 09:05 PM' timestamp='1254513930' post='1976372'] Unfortunately that happened to me a few months ago, when the Bishop had given the recommendation of receiving in the hand etc. I went to receive from an EMHC and I had my hands folded behind my back (as a side note-- I find that easier to indicate that one is receiving on the tongue, especially if you are at a place where basically everyone receives in the hand and receiving from an EMHC). The man just held the Host and refused to give me Holy Communion. I politely whispered that I would prefer to receive on the tongue and he said 'no.' Instead of making a scene, I just received in the hand. I was tempted to speak to the pastor afterwards, but... I don't go to that church regularly. I have to admit I was a little upset. Which was pathetic-- I just received our Lord of Lords and I was back in my pew all angry. I mean, it was frustrating, but... well, what are you going to do? [/quote] I try to make sure I go to the priest and not an EMHC because I know many of the EMHCs aren't as comfortable with distributing the Eucharist on the tongue. And so that my son can receive a blessing, since an EMHC can't do that. [quote name='Apotheoun' date='02 October 2009 - 09:59 PM' timestamp='1254517152' post='1976406'] Placing communion in the hand is not very sanitary either, because the priest will still be touching hundreds of hands and spreading whatever germs are on them from person to person. Unless the priest intends to toss the host to each communicant. [/quote] Yes, my thought exactly. Especially since each person receiving has been touching the missalette and the pew, and the kneeler, and whatever else.
TeresaBenedicta Posted October 3, 2009 Posted October 3, 2009 [quote name='Archaeology cat' date='03 October 2009 - 05:21 AM' timestamp='1254558076' post='1976655'] I try to make sure I go to the priest and not an EMHC because I know many of the EMHCs aren't as comfortable with distributing the Eucharist on the tongue. And so that my son can receive a blessing, since an EMHC can't do that. [/quote] Yeah, in general I do that as well-- especially at new places (my home parish, for instance, almost everyone receives on the tongue so the EMHC's are very skilled at it). For whatever reason I think it was going to be awkward to try for that in my scenario.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted October 3, 2009 Posted October 3, 2009 Just skimming the forum and saw this. I receive on the tongue, but I also work in a school. Three kids in my homeroom of 20 students have H1N1. Another has mono. If my boss or priest asks me to receive in the hand to reduce the risk of passing on germs, I'll do it. Yes, the Church gives us the right to receive on the tongue, no a bishop can't really effectively tell us not to, but they can request, and they have good reason to. There are ways to distribute Communion in the hand without touching the hands of the communicant or tossing the Eucharist, so that doesn't have to be a concern for germs. As for anyone who wouldn't receive the Lord of the universe because they couldn't receive Him the way they wanted to and had to receive Him a different although perfectly licit way, that's just asinine, even if you don't agree with the reason for the request. If Jesus comes to your home and knocks on your back door, are you going to tell Him you won't let Him in unless He comes around to the front and keeps off the grass? Jesus wants to be with you, but you won't have Him. Jesus calls you, but you have your own plans: "Let the dead bury their dead" (Matt 8:22).
Apotheoun Posted October 3, 2009 Posted October 3, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Raphael' date='03 October 2009 - 10:12 AM' timestamp='1254586370' post='1976710'] As for anyone who wouldn't receive the Lord of the universe because they couldn't receive Him the way they wanted to and had to receive Him a different although perfectly licit way, that's just asinine, even if you don't agree with the reason for the request. If Jesus comes to your home and knocks on your back door, are you going to tell Him you won't let Him in unless He comes around to the front and keeps off the grass? Jesus wants to be with you, but you won't have Him. Jesus calls you, but you have your own plans: "Let the dead bury their dead" (Matt 8:22). [/quote] I remember the swine flu epidemic of the 1970s, and the overreaction to it at that time, and more people were actually injured by receiving the flu vaccinations than by catching the flu. The likelihood of getting swine flu from receiving communion on the tongue or on the hand is about the same. If you are really serious about not catching it you need to stay away from Church altogether. Edited October 3, 2009 by Apotheoun
Thy Geekdom Come Posted October 3, 2009 Posted October 3, 2009 [quote name='Apotheoun' date='03 October 2009 - 12:19 PM' timestamp='1254586776' post='1976715'] I remember the swine flu epidemic of the 1970s, and the overreaction to it at that time, and more people were actually injured by receiving the flu vaccinations than by catching the flu. The likelihood of getting swine flu from receiving communion on the tongue or on the hand is about the same. If you are really serious about not catching it you need to stay away from Church altogether. [/quote] I'd like to see your evidence for the claim about the likelihood of getting the flu from different sources. On the vaccination front, I'm not really convinced that vaccinations are good medicine (at least not all the time), so I declined to get it.
Apotheoun Posted October 3, 2009 Posted October 3, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Raphael' date='03 October 2009 - 10:35 AM' timestamp='1254587728' post='1976720'] I'd like to see your evidence for the claim about the likelihood of getting the flu from different sources. On the vaccination front, I'm not really convinced that vaccinations are good medicine (at least not all the time), so I declined to get it. [/quote] If I wipe my nose on my hand and receive communion, and while receiving communion the priest touches my hand and then touches your hand when giving you communion, you could get the flu. Such is life. To avoid the flu you should avoid those with it entirely, but life does not work that way. As to sources, I have none, but nor do those who say receiving on the tongue is terribly dangerous. The flu is spread by human contact. Edited October 3, 2009 by Apotheoun
Apotheoun Posted October 3, 2009 Posted October 3, 2009 [quote name='Raphael' date='03 October 2009 - 10:35 AM' timestamp='1254587728' post='1976720'] On the vaccination front, I'm not really convinced that vaccinations are good medicine (at least not all the time), so I declined to get it. [/quote] That is your right. My mom is getting one, and I may get one, but hopefully they will have done a better job making the vaccine this time around, because last time it cause a small percentage of recipients to have permanent neuromuscular problems.
Aloysius Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 I'd like to briefly defend those who say they wouldn't receive if it were only offered on the hand. One can make a spiritual communion, of course, and the motivation for not receiving is not some self-centered pride... it's likely a deep humility. many of those who receive on the tongue do so out of deep humility and reverence, and would not feel comfortable holding Christ in their hands because of that deep sense of humility. the act of not receiving in itself would be an act Christ would likely recognize as an act of humility, and I doubt He would fault them for their reasoning. Don't call people's deeply religious humble convictions "asinine". Perhaps it is like St. Peter refusing to have his feet washed... perhaps... or perhaps it is like the Roman soldier who thought himself unworthy for the Lord to enter under His roof... I think it likely to be more like the latter. The spiritual communion is the "only say the word..." part. Jesus wanted to come be with the Roman soldier, but the Roman soldier refused Him in humility. That's nothing to scoff at.
GraceUk Posted October 17, 2009 Posted October 17, 2009 I can see the reasons why this Bishop has made the decision he did. But I also see why some people do prefer not to have communion in the hand if that has never been their custom.
jeffpugh Posted October 23, 2009 Posted October 23, 2009 [quote name='Archaeology cat' date='30 September 2009 - 03:01 PM' timestamp='1254337269' post='1974974'] Yes, some of the Bishops in England, my own included, have recommended that people receive on the hand due to the swine flu. It has not been mandated, because it can't be, it's just a recommendation. I still end up receiving on the tongue, because I'm juggling a toddler when I go up to receive, and I have to hold him with one hand, and hold his hands with the other hand (if I don't, he tries to steal a Host). Thankfully the monks are accommodating. [/quote] Really? Cause I've seen lots of mothers and fathers trying to hold kids, and they some how are able to stick out there hand then take their other hand to feed themselves the host. It scares me, cause it the parent has to shift focus on supporting the host over supporting the kid. So it may end up one or the other falling :/
Resurrexi Posted October 23, 2009 Posted October 23, 2009 [quote name='Aloysius' date='08 October 2009 - 03:48 PM' timestamp='1255034939' post='1981167'] I'd like to briefly defend those who say they wouldn't receive if it were only offered on the hand. One can make a spiritual communion, of course, and the motivation for not receiving is not some self-centered pride... it's likely a deep humility. many of those who receive on the tongue do so out of deep humility and reverence, and would not feel comfortable holding Christ in their hands because of that deep sense of humility. the act of not receiving in itself would be an act Christ would likely recognize as an act of humility, and I doubt He would fault them for their reasoning. Don't call people's deeply religious humble convictions "asinine". Perhaps it is like St. Peter refusing to have his feet washed... perhaps... or perhaps it is like the Roman soldier who thought himself unworthy for the Lord to enter under His roof... I think it likely to be more like the latter. The spiritual communion is the "only say the word..." part. Jesus wanted to come be with the Roman soldier, but the Roman soldier refused Him in humility. That's nothing to scoff at. [/quote] Who was lame enough to take away the +1 I gave to this post.
aalpha1989 Posted October 23, 2009 Author Posted October 23, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' date='22 October 2009 - 10:18 PM' timestamp='1256264310' post='1989991'] Who was lame enough to take away the +1 I gave to this post. [/quote] Solved. BTW, out of holy obedience the FSSP parish in that diocese is not distributing Communion until the bishop lifts his decree. He applied it to them as well.
Archaeology cat Posted October 23, 2009 Posted October 23, 2009 [quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='23 October 2009 - 03:03 AM' timestamp='1256263434' post='1989963'] Really? Cause I've seen lots of mothers and fathers trying to hold kids, and they some how are able to stick out there hand then take their other hand to feed themselves the host. It scares me, cause it the parent has to shift focus on supporting the host over supporting the kid. So it may end up one or the other falling :/ [/quote] I have held my son and received in the hand, but it was very awkward, and I had to make sure my son didn't try to grab it. So I went back to receiving on the tongue, because I didn't want any mishaps. He gets very excited about Communion now, so it takes 2 hands, one to hold him and one to hold his hand, so I no longer have a hand free anyway.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now