An Old School Catholic Message Board

College Bans Sex With Roommate Around

eagle_eye222001

eagle_eye222001

I can relate to this. :annoyed: . Basically I had to sternly demand to my roommate that when I was around, I didn't want his girlfriend spending the night. You can guess where she was sleeping. :wacko:

I like the quote from the guy who complains there was no student input on this. :rolleyes:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hSqdYZsBgZ2h2r8aW2qB2f_rjDrwD9B18RJG0

BOSTON — Sex in a Tufts University dorm is fine. Sex in a Tufts dorm with your roommate present? That's a no-no.

This semester, the school has a new policy banning sexual activity while a roommate is in the same room. Kim Thurler, a Tufts University spokeswoman, said the school issued the new rule after a dozen or so complaints in the past three years.

"It's really about respect and consideration, and it's a question of how roommates utilized their space," Thurler said.

The new policy concerning overnight guests reads: "You may not engage in sexual activity while your roommate is present in the room." It mentions no consequences if the rule is broken, however.

Thurler maintains the new policy is not about regulating students' behavior, rather getting roommates talking about the issue of space with each other. She said the policy is aimed at the school's 5,000 undergraduates.

Alyza DelPan-Monley, 20, a junior philosophy major, agreed that the policy is more about showing respect for roommates than limiting sexual activity.

"I've been fortunate that I've had good experiences with my roommates," said DelPan-Monley. "But this is there for people who can't communicate with their roommates."

Freshman Jon Levinson, 18, said he was bothered by it and believed discussions about dorm-room sex etiquette should be kept between roommates.

"I don't believe it's the university's place to determine what goes on in a room," said Levinson. "Personally, I wouldn't want to have sex in front of my roommate, and my roommate wouldn't want to have sex in front of me."

Levinson said he didn't think it that many students viewed it as a problem and wondered why the school came up with the policy with just a handful of cases.

Bruce Ratain, 20, a junior political science major, said he was concerned how the school's Office of Residential Life and Learning implemented the policy without student input.

"It would have been preferable if this decision had come out of a more inclusive and collaborative process," said Ratain, a senator in the Tufts Community Union, the school's student council.

Policies at universities and colleges concerning dorm room sex vary. Some Catholic universities prohibit opposite-sex "cohabitation" and sleepovers in dorms, while Harvard University's student handbook prohibits any "serious or persistent unwanted sexual conduct."

Efforts to regulate on students' sexual behavior drew national attention to Antioch College in Ohio — now closed — in 1993. Antioch's "Sexual Offense Prevention Policy" required students to ask permission from one another if they wanted to have sexual contact, including holding hands.

James Baumann, a spokesman for the Association of College and University Housing Officers-International, said it was unusual for a university to create a rule specifically banning sexual activity in the presence of a roommate.

"That's the first I've heard of such a policy," said Baumann.

DelPan-Monley compared the new policy to "quiet hours" when roommates are required to keep music, talking and television noise to a minimum out of respect to those studying for exams. "There are so many rules we have to follow," said DelPan-Monley. "But people don't always follow them."

i would be totally happy to accept bribes to leave a cohabited room so certain goings on could get going on. i would anyways, but getting paid for it would be nice.

On of my friends in college had a roommate who had her boyfriend sleep over (which was in violation of the rules-- no men in the dorm from midnight to 10 am). We lived in 15 x 15 dormrooms. They had bunks, but when the boyfriend was over, they slept on the sofabed and had sex while my poor friend was in the upper bunk. Needless to say, she moved as soon as she could. ick.

Ugh. Yes, many of my college friends have undergone this uniquely degrading experience. (Degrading for everyone involved.)
I counted myself lucky to be "sex-iled," ie., told to get lost because things were about to go down.

Reminds me of undergrad my Senior year. One roomie's girlfriend lived on another floor, she was in her room 4 times exactly the entire year. She had 17 separate bottles of shampoos, conditioners, etc. in our shower. The first time I met her, quite honestly, was when she walked out of the shower naked and whining for him...Missy can testify that over skype the banging around could be heard every. single. night. >.<

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='29 September 2009 - 10:50 PM' timestamp='1254279040' post='1974668']
To someone living with a Catholic worldview this is altogether bizarre. It is a Brave New World.
[/quote]
Maybe to someone who is living in a Catholic bubble. Having a Catholic worldview doesn't mean a person has to be blind to the disintegration happening all around this. I went to a Christian (not Catholic) undergrad where sex was a no-no and this sort of thing still happened on the sly.

I said bizarre, not unheard of. To create normalcy is to condone an action in the minds of others (everyone is doing it), whether logical or not. Having casual sex should always sound bizarre, not normal, to a Catholic who understands it as part of a holy sacrament in its original marital context.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='30 September 2009 - 12:30 PM' timestamp='1254328247' post='1974870']
I said bizarre, not unheard of. To create normalcy is to condone an action in the minds of others (everyone is doing it), whether logical or not. Having casual sex should always sound bizarre, not normal, to a Catholic who understands it as part of a holy sacrament in its original marital context.
[/quote]
[quote][url="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bizarre"]Bizarre[/url]:
markedly unusual in appearance, style, or general character and often involving incongruous or unexpected elements; outrageously or whimsically strange; odd: bizarre clothing; bizarre behavior. [/quote]

Sadly this type of behavior is not "markedly unusual." It is, however, not "normal" in the sense that it does not (or, at least, should not) set a normative level of behavior.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Lilllabettt' date='30 September 2009 - 01:58 PM' timestamp='1254333513' post='1974935']
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
[/quote]
You have that right! The supreme court has given us the right to define reality for ourselves! Yay!! Isn't that so nice of them! :ernie:

:photo: