An Old School Catholic Message Board

Procreation Before The Fall

OraProMe

oh geeze... what I have created...

I understand it can be used in two ways...

First, It can mean contrasting view point. This is how I've understood it.

I have also learned today that it can be used to cite a proposition that is different than the one stated but is analogous. Perhaps this is how the vatican is using it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citation_signal

I have seen "cf." used to indicate compare and contrast, but I have also seen it used with the meaning of consult, i.e., to look at what I have just said and consult the text cited as confirmation.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='01 October 2009 - 05:27 PM' timestamp='1254436074' post='1975867']
but I have also seen it used with the meaning of consult, i.e., to look at what I have just said and consult the text cited as confirmation.
[/quote]

This is how I was using it.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='rkwright' date='01 October 2009 - 05:23 PM' timestamp='1254435812' post='1975865']
oh geeze... what I have created...

I understand it can be used in two ways...

First, It can mean contrasting view point. This is how I've understood it.

I have also learned today that it can be used to cite a proposition that is different than the one stated but is analogous. Perhaps this is how the vatican is using it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citation_signal
[/quote]
Oh good. The second source solves this pretty well. :)

I am content.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='01 October 2009 - 04:31 PM' timestamp='1254436293' post='1975869']
This is how I was using it.
[/quote]
Yes, I know.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='01 October 2009 - 05:32 PM' timestamp='1254436320' post='1975871']
Yes, I know.
[/quote]

That's good to know. :)

I have seen "cf.", "v." and the English word "see" used as more or less equivalent in a wide variety of texts.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='01 October 2009 - 05:35 PM' timestamp='1254436506' post='1975875']
I have seen "cf.", "v." and the English word "see" used as more or less equivalent in a wide variety of texts.
[/quote]

Yea see I got lectured pretty good by a professor for using a cf. when it should have been a see.

Laudate_Dominum

Lol! :lol: What in tarnation happened to this thread!?

I like making up my own stuff instead of using cf. and all that. Like and such as: God is love (check it out in the Bible).

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='rkwright' date='01 October 2009 - 06:44 PM' timestamp='1254437095' post='1975887']
Yea see I got lectured pretty good by a professor for using a cf. when it should have been a see.
[/quote]
Bastage. :sadder:

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='01 October 2009 - 04:46 PM' timestamp='1254437179' post='1975889']
Lol! :lol: What in tarnation happened to this thread!?
[/quote]
This is the "cf." thread, so please stick to the topic.

[quote name='OraProMe' date='01 October 2009 - 12:23 PM' timestamp='1254414205' post='1975595']
But isn't incest a sin? I just checked my catechism. God planned sin?
[/quote]

The Catechism didn't say it was sinful to eat meat on Fridays in Lent before the Church decreed it was sinful to eat meat on Fridays in Lent.

Likewise, at a certain point, God commanded his people to not engage in what we today call "incest." That was my point in saying, "The real question is: what is it that makes incest sinful?"

~Sternhauser

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='01 October 2009 - 11:15 AM' timestamp='1254410153' post='1975563']
Studies on mitochondrial RNA (mtRNA) show that we all come from one mother and one father.

Now the real question you have to ask is, "what is it that makes incest wrong?"

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

The above statement is partly true. Mitochondrial RNA is passed from mother to child. mtRNA cannot be used to determine patrilineal lines of inheritance. However, generational mutations to the Y chromosome (passed from father to son) have been used to determine that all humanity progresses from a single father.

However, while all humanity progresses from a single father and mother, they are separated by many years. Y-chromosomal Adam likely lived 60,000-90,000 years ago, while Mitochondrial Eve lived 150,000-250,000 years ago. Further, this Adam and Eve were far from the first people to walk the earth, but instead are the people from whom all of current humanity is said to progress from.

Back to the thread. Do Mitochondrial Eve and Y-chromosomal Adam satisfy the Church's requirements for the historico-biblical Adam and Eve? If not, then I'm uncertain why Catholics bring them up. If they do, then this may answer the question of incest: other people were already in existence, though their genetic makeup was inherited from Adam and Eve, who are still the progenitors of the entire human race.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='01 October 2009 - 05:34 PM' timestamp='1254432898' post='1975824']
In Vatican documents, when a direct quote is referenced, the source will be given in parenthesis. "And the Word was God." (John 1:1).

If a source is that is not quoted is being referenced, the source will be given in parentheses preceded by [i]cf.[/i]. The Bible says that Jesus is God (cf. John 1:1).

At least that is how I understand it.
[/quote]

That's what I thought, too. However, Wikipedia says that this is incorrect:

[indent]
cf. is an abbreviation for the Latin word confer, meaning "compare" or "consult", and is hence used to refer to other material or ideas which may provide contrasting information or arguments. It is mainly used in scholarly or educated contexts, such as in academic (mainly humanities) or legal texts.[1] "Cf." is commonly misused to mean, "see", as in "cf. Figure 10", but should only be used to imply "a contrast or disagreement"
[/indent]