jkaands Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 Is obesity a mortal sin? It is an abuse of the body, a manifestation of Gluttony (indirectly also of Sloth) both mortal sins. It causes a multitude of diseases which harm and kill the body, God's creation: asthma, hypertension, coronary disease, atherosclerosis, diabetes, with all of its complications, including blindness and amputation, and is associated with a variety of cancers: breast, endometrium, colon, ovary. Obesity is caused by overeating, which drives prices up, stealing food from the poor. It's much more damaging than masturbation. So?
Theologian in Training Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 It was St. Alphonsus' "Preparation for Death," and his chapter on the abuses of graces that I was instructed to read when I went to confession after a long time of taking the confessional for granted. The priest said he would not absolve me until after I had read that chapter and it was the best thing he did for me. It led to me re-conversion after having left the seminary, to not only struggle again for holiness but to return to the vocation that God had called me to. St. Alphonsus made me realize that time is short, that death is unexpected, and that sin is an enemy. While I understand where the Catechism is coming from, it is too easy to excuse those who suffer from that sin, and to let them remain complacent in it, which is why I help them to understand what they are doing, the damage they are doing, and to help them realize that the chain can be broken with the grace of Christ. In fact, people have thanked me for what I tell them, because too many priests don't want to say anything or those that do, don't really call them out on it. That, of course, it not across the board, but it is important that they realize the impact that that sin has on their lives.
OraProMe Posted October 5, 2009 Author Posted October 5, 2009 I'd also like to know what mortal sins deserve eternal damnation in Hell? I'm sorry but being burnt for all eternity, a fire that afflicts both the soul and the body and never stops, is crueler than any psychopath or serial killer I have ever heard about. What crimes fit that punishment? How come two people, one who sleeps in on Sunday and one who rapes a girl, will end up with the same sentence?
OraProMe Posted October 5, 2009 Author Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='Theologian in Training' date='05 October 2009 - 09:07 AM' timestamp='1254751631' post='1978177'] It was St. Alphonsus' "Preparation for Death," and his chapter on the abuses of graces that I was instructed to read when I went to confession after a long time of taking the confessional for granted. The priest said he would not absolve me until after I had read that chapter and it was the best thing he did for me. It led to me re-conversion after having left the seminary, to not only struggle again for holiness but to return to the vocation that God had called me to. St. Alphonsus made me realize that time is short, that death is unexpected, and that sin is an enemy. [/quote] I know you must be incredibly busy but if you ever feel up to it and you're comfortable with the idea would you consider making a thread and sharing your vocation story, life in the seminary and life as a priest with us? I think it'd be really interesting.
rkwright Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='OraProMe' date='05 October 2009 - 09:08 AM' timestamp='1254751689' post='1978178'] I'd also like to know what mortal sins deserve eternal damnation in Hell? I'm sorry but being burnt for all eternity, a fire that afflicts both the soul and the body and never stops, is crueler than any psychopath or serial killer I have ever heard about. What crimes fit that punishment? How come two people, one who sleeps in on Sunday and one who rapes a girl, will end up with the same sentence? [/quote] Every soul in hell is in hell justly. Their punishment fit their "crime". The crime is disobeying God - they didn't want anything to do with God. And thats what they got.
Innocent Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Theologian in Training' date='05 October 2009 - 08:37 PM' timestamp='1254751631' post='1978177'] It was St. Alphonsus' "Preparation for Death," and his chapter on the abuses of graces that I was instructed to read when I went to confession after a long time of taking the confessional for granted. The priest said he would not absolve me until after I had read that chapter and it was the best thing he did for me. It led to me re-conversion after having left the seminary, to not only struggle again for holiness but to return to the vocation that God had called me to. St. Alphonsus made me realize that time is short, that death is unexpected, and that sin is an enemy. [/quote] Father, just wanted to let you know that St. Alphonsus' Preparation For Death is online in the Public Domain. If you want to recommend anyone to read it, you can just send them a link to the Internet Archive: [url="http://www.archive.org/details/MN41781ucmf_1"]Preparation for death [microform](1869) Author: Alfonso, bishop of St. Agatha;[/url] [quote name='Theologian in Training' date='05 October 2009 - 08:37 PM' timestamp='1254751631' post='1978177']While I understand where the Catechism is coming from, it is too easy to excuse those who suffer from that sin, and to let them remain complacent in it, which is why I help them to understand what they are doing, the damage they are doing, and to help them realize that the chain can be broken with the grace of Christ. [/quote] Thank you, Father. I think what you are doing is much needed these days when so few priests are willing to offer serious advice on these sins. Edited October 5, 2009 by Innocent
Laudate_Dominum Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 I know it is seriously wrong to overhear somebody's confession, but what if you accidentally see what they're saying? What happened is a guy was confessing and he very blatantly did the gesture for masturbation while whispering to the priest. The priest was hard of hearing so he did it on purpose too. I think he just didn't care that people could see.
rkwright Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='05 October 2009 - 09:26 AM' timestamp='1254752783' post='1978187'] I know it is seriously wrong to overhear somebody's confession, but what if you accidentally see what they're saying? What happened is a guy was confessing and he very blatantly did the gesture for masturbation while whispering to the priest. The priest was hard of hearing so he did it on purpose too. I think he just didn't care that people could see. [/quote] lol seriously?? "And then I strangled him... not so much like this, but more like this..."
Laudate_Dominum Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='rkwright' date='05 October 2009 - 10:32 AM' timestamp='1254753149' post='1978190'] lol seriously?? "And then I strangled him... not so much like this, but more like this..." [/quote] Yeah, it was at FUS where they have confession all out in the open (which I cannot get used to, lol). Dude, I've got stories... Most aren't appropriate for sharing though..
Jaime Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='Hassan' date='04 October 2009 - 08:45 PM' timestamp='1254703511' post='1977753'] God is the agent who set's up the dichotomous game and then forces his creatures to choose. We are now in a state in which one is neither in the full presence of God nor in unending torment. Obviously God is not logically prohibited from some sort of alternative between all or nothing. Moreover he allows no chance for repentance once the soul in in hell. If he must bring an end to this life he could at least destroy the sinful soul and spare it eternal torment. That's a poor analogy. The water has no agency, it does not dictate that we die an agonizing death without it. If water did have agency, did dictate that if we did not meet its demands it would withdraw from our presence and forever leave us in agonizing torment then yes, the water would be sadistic. [/quote] Its a pretty good analogy. We need water and we need God. Hass:yawn: this concept might be difficult for you to comprehend but it doesn't mean its wrong. If all good comes from God One rejects God One rejects all good things. You want to have a premise where you can reject God but still have good. You can't. Its not that God is being selfish. You simply cannot have one without the other. "I want God to just leave me alone" Ok then what's going to happen? You still have to exist. And you have to exist without anything Good. The absence of all Good is agony. There is nothing neutral. God still has to be logical. Your logic is like that of a person who rejects government but still wants the fire department to come when their house is on fire.
Theologian in Training Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='hot stuff' date='05 October 2009 - 12:11 PM' timestamp='1254755482' post='1978202'] Its a pretty good analogy. We need water and we need God. Hass:yawn: this concept might be difficult for you to comprehend but it doesn't mean its wrong. If all good comes from God One rejects God One rejects all good things. You want to have a premise where you can reject God but still have good. You can't. Its not that God is being selfish. You simply cannot have one without the other. "I want God to just leave me alone" Ok then what's going to happen? You still have to exist. And you have to exist without anything Good. The absence of all Good is agony. There is nothing neutral. God still has to be logical. Your logic is like that of a person who rejects government but still wants the fire department to come when their house is on fire. [/quote] [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0r6qymvopw[/media]
Didacus Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='hot stuff' date='05 October 2009 - 11:11 AM' timestamp='1254755482' post='1978202'] [snip] Your logic is like that of a person who rejects government but still wants the fire department to come when their house is on fire. [/quote] I like that! Clarifies a thing or two. Who around here is afraid of hell? Would it be a good idea to start a poll on that question?
Nihil Obstat Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='Didacus' date='05 October 2009 - 12:51 PM' timestamp='1254765089' post='1978294'] Who around here is afraid of hell? Would it be a good idea to start a poll on that question? [/quote] Scares the hell out of me.
Laudate_Dominum Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='05 October 2009 - 10:26 AM' timestamp='1254752783' post='1978187'] I know it is seriously wrong to overhear somebody's confession, but what if you accidentally see what they're saying? What happened is a guy was confessing and he very blatantly did the gesture for masturbation while whispering to the priest. The priest was hard of hearing so he did it on purpose too. I think he just didn't care that people could see. [/quote] This was sort of a serious question btw (I don't do full seriousness anymore). Dad? Err, I mean Father? As a priest what would you say about this? Just curious.
mommas_boy Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='Theologian in Training' date='05 October 2009 - 12:31 PM' timestamp='1254760277' post='1978247'] [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0r6qymvopw[/media] [/quote] That is friggin' awesome!
Theologian in Training Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='05 October 2009 - 03:50 PM' timestamp='1254768623' post='1978330'] This was sort of a serious question btw (I don't do full seriousness anymore). Dad? Err, I mean Father? As a priest what would you say about this? Just curious. [/quote] You really could not prevent it, and just happened to see a motion, though, truth be told, it might have been what you thought or it might not have.
Resurrexi Posted October 5, 2009 Posted October 5, 2009 [quote name='OraProMe' date='05 October 2009 - 09:08 AM' timestamp='1254751689' post='1978178'] What crimes fit that punishment? How come two people, one who sleeps in on Sunday and one who rapes a girl, will end up with the same sentence? [/quote] I'm not sure what you mean by "the sentences are the same". I am pretty sure that someone who dies unrepentant for having committed rape would have much worse punishment in hell than someone who died unrepentant for having skipped Mass on Sunday.
Theologian in Training Posted October 6, 2009 Posted October 6, 2009 [quote name='OraProMe' date='05 October 2009 - 11:11 AM' timestamp='1254751873' post='1978179'] I know you must be incredibly busy but if you ever feel up to it and you're comfortable with the idea would you consider making a thread and sharing your vocation story, life in the seminary and life as a priest with us? I think it'd be really interesting. [/quote] From how far back? I entered the minor seminary and left for two years only to return again. How far back do you want me to go?
Didacus Posted October 6, 2009 Posted October 6, 2009 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='05 October 2009 - 02:44 PM' timestamp='1254768278' post='1978328'] Scares the hell out of me. [/quote] You shold be all set then! I'm petrified myself. Fear of the lord is the beggining of wisdom.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now