An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestant = Modern Day Pharisees

MC Just

Hmmm... the Pharisees were a Protestant group, the Sadducees being the preists. And they did seem to believe that justification was extrinsic to the interior man, since they were so concerned with appearances rather than with loving their neighbors. Is that what you were getting at?

lol-Pharisees were "Sola Torah" Just like Protestants are "Sola Scriptura"

Yet i've heard some throw out the claim that Catholics are like the Pharisees.

Good Friday

Actually, the Pharisees were not [i]sola Torah[/i], that was the Sadducees. The Pharisees believed in the doctrine of resurrection, while the Sadducees did not. The Sadducees did not believe it because it was not in the Torah, but the Pharisees believed it because it was in the other books of the Tanakh and because it was contained in the oral tradition. There are other examples of the Pharisees believing things not found in the Torah. It's very possible that, as classifications go, Jesus was a Pharisee, despite His many disagreements with them.

Calling the Protestants modern-day Pharisees, for any reason, is insulting. It is not only insulting to Protestants, because they are [i]not[/i] modern-day Pharisees, it is insulting to Rabbinical Judaism, the offspring of the Pharisees. Protestants are what they are, and there is no charitable reason to compare them to any other group. Furthermore, why do you think it's okay to do something that you, yourself, would find insulting? If a Protestant referred to you, or all Catholics, as modern-day Pharisees, would you like it? No. It would insult you. And I'd imagine it would insult the Protestants here at Phatmass, unnecessarily.

[quote name='Good Friday' date='Apr 5 2004, 09:07 PM'] Actually, the Pharisees were not [i]sola Torah[/i], that was the Sadducees.  The Pharisees believed in the doctrine of resurrection, while the Sadducees did not.  The Sadducees did not believe it because it was not in the Torah, but the Pharisees believed it because it was in the other books of the Tanakh and because it was contained in the oral tradition.  There are other examples of the Pharisees believing things not found in the Torah.  It's very possible that, as classifications go, Jesus was a Pharisee, despite His many disagreements with them.

Calling the Protestants modern-day Pharisees, for any reason, is insulting.  It is not only insulting to Protestants, because they are [i]not[/i] modern-day Pharisees, it is insulting to Rabbinical Judaism, the offspring of the Pharisees.  Protestants are what they are, and there is no charitable reason to compare them to any other group.  Furthermore, why do you think it's okay to do something that you, yourself, would find insulting?  If a Protestant referred to you, or all Catholics, as modern-day Pharisees, would you like it?  No.  It would insult you.  And I'd imagine it would insult the Protestants here at Phatmass, unnecessarily. [/quote]
That's not what Brother Bob, (A Jewish Convert to the Catholic Church) said today on EWTN. He explained them all, and specifically said the Pharisees, were "Torah Only"

Edited by MC Just

I say it because I can. I was bothered by a few protestants posts. S I decided to just throw something out there.

Edited by MC Just

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='MC Just' date='Apr 5 2004, 10:14 PM'] I say it because I can. I was bothered by a few protestants posts. S I decided to just throw something out there. [/quote]
;)

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Good Friday' date='Apr 5 2004, 09:07 PM'] Calling the Protestants modern-day Pharisees, for any reason, is insulting. ...<snip>... If a Protestant referred to you, or all Catholics, as modern-day Pharisees, would you like it? No. It would insult you. And I'd imagine it would insult the Protestants here at Phatmass, unnecessarily. [/quote]
I agree. It is not charitiable to call names. Even if others call us names, it is wrong for us to do likewise. The "best" way to drive non-Catholics away from the Church is to insult them. Trust me, I have been insulted by Catholics many times without their even knowing it some of the time. It only made me move further from Catholicism. I am becoming Catholic in spite of that. But it still hurts to hear name-calling on both sides... I hope that people here feel freer than they would in "real life" ie, I would hope that conversations in person would be much more civil with less bating... Please... Protestants love Christ, too.

Livin_the_MASS

I agree charity!

I can tell you though that I have noticed alot of posts that jab at the Catholic Church instead of wanting to learn.

Charity Amen.

Giving witness to the One Truth
Amen!

God Bless
Jason

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Jason' date='Apr 5 2004, 09:48 PM'] I can tell you though that I have noticed alot of posts that jab at the Catholic Church instead of wanting to learn.
[/quote]
I've noticed this, too. I can't explain it except to think that the idea of being annonymous "allows" people to be less than civil. I agree that there have been some mean-spirited posts from non-Catholics... Well, maybe not mean-spirited, but rather bating... posting something trying to get a reaction. I don't know why people do that. I wish they wouldn't. But please remember, that when you are saying deragatory things about Protestants using a big ol' one-size-fits-all statement, you are saying it about Brother Adam and Mrs. Brother Adam and all the other Protestants who truly are trying to learn. (and let's face it, Adam can defend Catholicism better than 90% of us!!)

I have to believe that discussions like these are not honoring to Christ... both sides are guilty.

the lumberjack

[quote name='MC Just' date='Apr 5 2004, 09:14 PM'] I say it because I can. I was bothered by a few protestants posts. S I decided to just throw something out there. [/quote]
have I ever called YOUR faith...that is, the faith you possess, unfounded or unChrist-like?

have I ever called YOU part of the Great Whore of Babylon?

no.

I post SOOOO much about my faith and what I believe, and what happens? laughter and looking down thru your "2000 years"... thats fine...just prewritten almost-respones from Rome.

I DO say that your church has some unsound doctrine...and NOWHERE do I say that all protestant churches have totally sound doctrine...and IF I am wrong, the Lord will correct me...I don't care how long it takes, I come to Him with open hands and a willing heart, so IF the Roman Catholic Church is right, which ANYONE has yet to prove with their extensive "DOC DUMPS" as Bruce so nicely calls them, your 2000 years (which is actually considerably less) of tradition, to which I say look at the very same Jews you compare the protestants to...how many more years of tradition and ritual and oral tradtion did they have passed down, all the "breaking down" of what the bible really means...

call all the names you want...it shows what you will resort to to get your point across.

in Christ,

the lumberjack

Livin_the_MASS

[quote]which ANYONE has yet to prove with their extensive "DOC DUMPS"[/quote]

Here we go again!

That's not an open heart. This is what I'm talking about right here!!!!!