Kathgirl Posted October 18, 2009 Posted October 18, 2009 Has anyone heard about this claim that the world will end on May 21, 2011? It's the bogus claim put forth by Family Radio and some of its "Christian" talk show hosts. The sad part is that proponents of this belief are not pursuing education or careers since the world is about to end. Even their little children are told all about it.
Vincent Vega Posted October 18, 2009 Posted October 18, 2009 The rapture is a modern protestant construct. I am not worried.
Saint Therese Posted October 18, 2009 Posted October 18, 2009 This thread would be a lot more interesting if the title was "May 21 2011 Rupture???????"
MissyP89 Posted October 18, 2009 Posted October 18, 2009 Doesn't Scripture say only God knows the day and hour? Yawn...they seriously need to stop obsessing over the End. Go out and help the Lord save souls or something, yeesh.
eagle_eye222001 Posted October 18, 2009 Posted October 18, 2009 Have not heard it. Every time I hear someone claiming to know when the end of time will be, I wonder how they explain the contradiction of knowing when the Bible claims no one knows but the Father in heaven.
Nihil Obstat Posted October 18, 2009 Posted October 18, 2009 [quote name='eagle_eye222001' date='18 October 2009 - 02:07 PM' timestamp='1255892837' post='1987366'] Have not heard it. Every time I hear someone claiming to know when the end of time will be, I wonder how they explain the contradiction of knowing when the Bible claims no one knows but the Father in heaven. [/quote] Yea, me too. Seems like a pretty significant contradiction. Maybe the KJV conveniently left that verse out? Haha.
Starets Posted October 18, 2009 Posted October 18, 2009 I remember how there were 88 reasons that the world would end in 1988. Obviously, it didn't. I am not worried, especially since the idea of a "rapture" was unheard of before about 1820.
BG45 Posted October 18, 2009 Posted October 18, 2009 [quote name='MissyP89' date='18 October 2009 - 02:42 PM' timestamp='1255891378' post='1987352'] Doesn't Scripture say only God knows the day and hour? Yawn...they seriously need to stop obsessing over the End. Go out and help the Lord save souls or something, yeesh. [/quote] Agreed. A view that always made me unpopular with then fellow Protestants (in addition to the one you've heard me rant on so many times before) is that every day a single person continues to expect the End to begin, will be another day that the Lord won't be coming back with a sword in hand.
Marie-Therese Posted October 18, 2009 Posted October 18, 2009 I'm too busy for the world to end that day, it's my daughter's 13th birthday. They need to reschedule.
CatherineM Posted October 18, 2009 Posted October 18, 2009 Would have been cooler to say December 21, 2012.
Archaeology cat Posted October 19, 2009 Posted October 19, 2009 [quote name='CatherineM' date='18 October 2009 - 10:24 PM' timestamp='1255901098' post='1987457'] Would have been cooler to say December 21, 2012. [/quote] [url="http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/10/12/2012-doomsday.html"]Evidently some Mayans are getting tired of hearing about that[/url]. Also in that article, there are some Mayan calendar inscriptions that go to the year 4772.
CatherineM Posted October 19, 2009 Posted October 19, 2009 I'll bet they do get tired of hearing that, and with a movie coming out, it's not likely to get easier any time soon.
Jaime Posted October 19, 2009 Posted October 19, 2009 [quote name='CatherineM' date='19 October 2009 - 11:05 AM' timestamp='1255964752' post='1987813'] I'll bet they do get tired of hearing that, and with a movie coming out, it's not likely to get easier any time soon. [/quote] They're probably also tired of hearing "Holy croutons you're not extinct??"
BG45 Posted October 19, 2009 Posted October 19, 2009 [quote name='hot stuff' date='19 October 2009 - 11:07 AM' timestamp='1255964820' post='1987814'] They're probably also tired of hearing "Holy croutons you're not extinct??" [/quote] That too!
Lounge Daddy Posted October 19, 2009 Posted October 19, 2009 [quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='18 October 2009 - 02:36 PM' timestamp='1255890966' post='1987347'] The rapture is a modern protestant construct. I am not worried. [/quote] Isn't it a modern, protestant, and largely American construct? And I agree with the observation that such predictions contradict the Bible. Gosh, even Jesus said he didn't know when. Only the Father knows.
kafka Posted October 19, 2009 Posted October 19, 2009 I think this verse from the epistle of Peter can refer to the Rapture people misinterpreting that verse of Paul Thessolonians since Scripture transcends Time and Place: {3:15} And let the longsuffering of our Lord be considered salvation, as also our most beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, {3:16} just as he also spoke in all of his epistles about these things. In these, there are certain things which are difficult to understand, which the unlearned and the unsteady distort, as they also do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.
StColette Posted October 19, 2009 Posted October 19, 2009 [quote name='hot stuff' date='19 October 2009 - 11:07 AM' timestamp='1255964820' post='1987814'] They're probably also tired of hearing "Holy croutons you're not extinct??" [/quote] ROFL!
kujo Posted October 19, 2009 Posted October 19, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Staretz' date='18 October 2009 - 04:18 PM' timestamp='1255893533' post='1987371'] I remember how there were 88 reasons that the world would end in 1988. Obviously, it didn't. [/quote] How do YOU know? Edited October 19, 2009 by kujo
Mark of the Cross Posted October 20, 2009 Posted October 20, 2009 [quote name='eagle_eye222001' date='19 October 2009 - 06:07 AM' timestamp='1255892837' post='1987366'] Have not heard it. Every time I hear someone claiming to know when the end of time will be, I wonder how they explain the contradiction of knowing when the Bible claims no one knows but the Father in heaven. [/quote] Very obvious where the [i]frequent[/i] end of world predictions which cause mayhem and suffering to those affected by them originate from. or does he look more like
Saint Therese Posted October 20, 2009 Posted October 20, 2009 I thought that we're not supposed to be superstitious?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now