Laudate_Dominum Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 protestants often have very good community and fellowship. that's cool! also the stereotypical protestant devotion to, and knowledge of the Bible is quite commendable. yay!!! and what about all the cool protestants out there. Billy Graham has brought countless people to Christ through his ministry. peace
the lumberjack Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 you guys are so awesome....thanks hsmom. and laud... and chocolate thunder... and Paladin... and everyone else who said something nice about Protestants. and to reciprocate the feeling, its good to see that there ARE catholics out there as fervent about their faith for God as I am...if not more so. For too long I had grown up with the image of "catholics" who would go to Mass on Sunday and get drunk and stupid directly after. that is all I knew. but you guys prove otherwise. and I really like that... a lot.
Good Friday Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 Aww, thanks, Lumberjack. People like you, Bro. Adam, and Mrs. Bro Adam have done a lot to improve my image of Protestants. Prior to becoming Catholic, I was a Neo-pagan. While Neo-pagans are typically somewhat neutral toward the Catholic, Orthodox, and some mainline Protestant churches, they are vehemently opposed to Evangelical Protestant churches. I was basically taught, as a Neo-pagan, that Evangelical Protestants were ignorant, uneducated, and intolerant fundamentalists, comparable to Muslim extremists. But in you, Bro. Adam, Mrs. Bro. Adam, and even in Bruce (who I believe is extremely intelligent, though at times uncharitable), I've seen that those misconceptions held by Neo-pagans are untrue. Bro. Adam, especially, is one of the most intelligent and charitable Christians I've ever met, inside or outside the Catholic Church.
Phazzan Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 [quote name='mamalove' date='Apr 5 2004, 09:54 PM'] Well one thing I can say is that, statistically speaking, there are more pro-life Protestants than there are pro-life Catholics, percentage wise. A lot of them are doing something right in that realm. [/quote] How can the advocation of contraception be considered pro-life?
Thomas Michael Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 I say something nice about a Protestant every day.... because I'm married to one.
marielapin Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 [quote name='BLAZEr' date='Apr 6 2004, 01:17 AM'] I don't think any of these things are true, but here is my nice thing: I love Protestants and I think that they are beautiful people who are awake to the desire for the Mystery and the hope of their lives. Protestants are also a witness to the powerful role of Christ in society. [/quote] I'll have to agree with Blazer on this one. He took the words right out of my fingers.
marielapin Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 I'll also add that I love protestants because my entire family is protestant. But I really disagree with #4. Depending on the part of the country you live in, that is definatley true (ie, up north). But here in the South, to be Catholic and to STAY Catholic you must live your faith fully, since it is constantly under attack.
Paladin D Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 [quote name='Thomas Michael' date='Apr 6 2004, 07:32 AM'] I say something nice about a Protestant every day.... because I'm married to one. [/quote] Hahaha...
cmotherofpirl Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 Protestants love God just as much as we do. We should be inspired by their fervor for the Lord and their love of the Bible. United together on projects, we could change the world.
Guest Addy'sMom Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 One of my best friends and her husband are Protestants. They are very faithful people. They know the scripture much better than I do and actually, knowing them has made me examine my faith deeper and learn more about the bible. One thing that I have noticed about most of my protestant friends/acquaintances is that their churches really encourage more activities out side of the church then the Catholic Church does (At least at the parishes that I have belonged to). Most of the groups and organizations at my parish meet during working hours on week days, which makes it difficult for most of us to attend.
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 [quote name='the lumberjack' date='Apr 6 2004, 02:27 AM'] you guys are so awesome....thanks hsmom. and laud... and chocolate thunder... and Paladin... and everyone else who said something nice about Protestants. and to reciprocate the feeling, its good to see that there ARE catholics out there as fervent about their faith for God as I am...if not more so. For too long I had grown up with the image of "catholics" who would go to Mass on Sunday and get drunk and stupid directly after. that is all I knew. but you guys prove otherwise. and I really like that... a lot. [/quote] It's amazing what happens when you talk to Catholics personally and leave your mind open to what they have to say! I, too, was raised to believe that all Catholics were going to hell.. Shame, shame, shame on me for believing that false teaching!
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 [quote name='Phazzan' date='Apr 6 2004, 04:01 AM'] How can the advocation of contraception be considered pro-life? [/quote] Pro-life: Against Abortion most Prostestants are blinded to the fact of what contraception does. One can be pro-life and take contraception if they don't konw what contraception does. Pro-Choice: For abortions....quite self-explanatory. From personal experience: I didn't konw that there was anything wrong with contraception. All I knew is the by taking contraception I wasn't going to get pregnant. I didn't know that what contraception did was to kill the unborn baby before it had a chance to develop. I didn't know that if the contraceptive failed that I was causing the baby to be aborted. And I was extremely pro-life.
AngelofJesus Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 "Love your enemies" Protestants are not our enemies, so it should be easier for us to love them. And for them to love us.
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Apr 6 2004, 10:05 AM'] Please stay on topic... Thank you... [/quote] My apologies... I just wanted to explain how someone can be Pro-Life, yet condone the use of contraceptives.
Lil Red Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 [quote name='chocolate thunder' date='Apr 5 2004, 10:20 PM'] 3) Protestants know the Bible. We don't. [/quote] I would echo that. I really wish that Catholics knew their Bible better, to quote verse off the top of their head.
Lil Red Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Apr 6 2004, 09:02 AM'] Protestants love God just as much as we do. We should be inspired by their fervor for the Lord and their love of the Bible. United together on projects, we could change the world. [/quote] WORD!
Brother Adam Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 (edited) [quote]Bro. Adam, especially, is one of the most intelligent and charitable Christians I've ever met, inside or outside the Catholic Church.[/quote] Awww....dang. I'm so humbled. Thank you. [quote]They're not stupid; they [protestants] just haven't been enlightened yet [/quote] Edited April 6, 2004 by Brother Adam
4HisChurch Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 I just read somewhere (maybe this forum...? I don't remember...) that Protestants basically are responsible for keeping Catholicism in the US, on track biblically. If we weren't such a strong religious (read, "protestant") country, we would have gone more the way of the "nothing in the bible is true anyway" crowd. [url="http://forums.delphiforums.com/dymphna"]St. Dymphna's Well[/url]
MrsFrozen Posted April 6, 2004 Posted April 6, 2004 I am thankful from all the Bible knowledge I have gained from my husband who, as of Saturday, will be an official former Protestant. He has his Protestant upbringing to thank for that! Also, two of our best friends are Protestant. They are wonderful people and had a strong hand in bringing us closer to God. God bless!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now