An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can Somebody Just Weep With Me?

MarisStella

MarisStella

I seriously need to get this off my chest. It really breaks my heart.
So here's what my parish church looked like in 1934:
[img]http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z423/gabbymmm/St-Joseph-Proto-Cathedral-2.jpg[/img]
Beautiful, right?

2011:
[img]http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z423/gabbymmm/st-joe-38mm-1.jpg[/img]

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Totus Tuus' timestamp='1309404390' post='2260623']
No offense, but it's still gorgeous.
[/quote]

Yeah, I agree.

MissScripture

The first is definitely more beautiful, though I am really more curious what they DID with all the stuff that is not there, anymore.

MarisStella

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1309406326' post='2260637']
The first is definitely more beautiful, though I am really more curious what they DID with all the stuff that is not there, anymore.
[/quote]

I know! I've heard rumors that they burned all of the extra wood and stuff which is really depressing, but I have NO idea if that's true. That's just what an old lady told me.

Sister, you need to stop weeping and start fighting! Join the restoration movement, support your local Traditional Latin Mass in union with Rome!

I love the little round paintings (of the evangelists?) in the second photo. I don't know, the lines just seem cleaner and more delicate/ethereal... more "heavenly" if you get the drift. All it needs is a nice big fat white marble altar rail...

MarisStella

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1309407305' post='2260649']
I love the little round paintings (of the evangelists?) in the second photo. I don't know, the lines just seem cleaner and more delicate/ethereal... more "heavenly" if you get the drift. All it needs is a nice big fat white marble altar rail...
[/quote]

They are Jesus, Mary, and the Apostles. I like them too, actually. I do understand what you mean and I completely agree. :like:

[quote name='MarisStella' timestamp='1309406460' post='2260639']
I know! I've heard rumors that they burned all of the extra wood and stuff which is really depressing, but I have NO idea if that's true. That's just what an old lady told me.
[/quote]

Some churches get remodeled legitimately, like because of fires and natural disasters. It's not always because someone was being malicious about church architecture and all of that stuff that gets lamented ad nauseam. I hope that's the case with your church.

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1309406326' post='2260637']
[/quote]
A couple of my classmates two years ago were from Victoria, BC, and they said the cathedral there had a wood high altar that they literally took a chain saw to it, and threw it in the dumpster out back. Apparently there are still some serious hard feelings about how it was handled. No wonder. How clueless.

Can someone point me to a place where the justification for destroying that church legitimately exists? The iconoclasm that was just exhibited is deplorable...

I will weep a thousand tears over the loss of such a beautiful church.