An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can Somebody Just Weep With Me?

MarisStella

[quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1309453821' post='2260888']
Why don't you just start a slam Cam thread and make it easier on everyone...
[/quote]
I thought that is in the works...and to be called Catholic vs Catholic thread. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]

faithcecelia

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1309454185' post='2260893']
Wow, [b]Max[/b], that is simple! Perfectly clean and whitewashed looks a bit....sterile...to me. I wouldn't like that, though I do appreciate clean and simple.

All this talk of architecture reminds me of a church in my city that [i]was[/i] a Baptist church before it was renovated as a Catholic church. You can immediately tell that something's funny when you walk in, because the ceiling is flat ;)

[img]http://www.stjudeshrine.org/images/webinterior.jpg[/img]

I like Gothic and neo-Gothic. Light and airy + verticality is amesome. I'm not a fan of Rococo...it's way too...busy.

Renovations go both ways. Some of the spaceship/barn churches built during the 70s (which truly are ugly) have been renovated to look more traditional now. :) I don't have before/after pictures of my parish, but I can assure you, the sanctuary looks much better now! The renovation of the parish where my parents went was to restore the neo-Gothic style and redo the paint away from battleship grey. It was very tasteful and a major improvement. I mean, there's nothing wrong with a baldachin, but it didn't fit with the church architecture and restoring the wooden high altar was much better. Pricey, but very nice.
[/quote]

Did they keep the baptistry? And if so, do they baptise by total imersion? Thats how I was baptised (actually in a Baptist church, though I was never a Baptist) and I am so grateful to have been dunked fully :like:

[quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1309449901' post='2260835']
It runs both ways dUSt. But what does that have to do with the post that you quote?
[/quote]

You said, [i]"Show me ONE thing that I have said that is at odds with the Catholic Church and I'll recant it. Show me."[/i]

I simply pointed out that the Catholic Church teaches that the greatest social commandment is charity. Do you really need me to go through all of the posts where you have been uncharitable?

So, I expect you'll be recanting now, or at least revise your statement to say, [i]"Show me ONE thing that I have said that is at odds with the Catholic Church, [b]except for what the church teaches on being charitable,[/b] and I'll recant it. Show me."[/i]

It's wonderful that you know so much about our beautiful faith, I just wish you'd learn a little more about it.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1309454740' post='2260905']
You said, [i]"Show me ONE thing that I have said that is at odds with the Catholic Church and I'll recant it. Show me."[/i]
I simply pointed out that the Catholic Church teaches that the greatest social commandment is charity. Do you really need me to go through all of the posts where you have been uncharitable?

So, I expect you'll be recanting now, or at least revise your statement to say, [i]"Show me ONE thing that I have said that is at odds with the Catholic Church, [b]except for what the church teaches on being charitable,[/b] and I'll recant it. Show me."[/i]

It's wonderful that you know so much about our beautiful faith, I just wish you'd learn a little more about it.
[/quote]

I just wish you'd give me the benefit of the doubt. True charity isn't just about being nice.

If I have been not nice to anyone and it was construed as being uncharitable, I apologize. Per dUSt's request.

CCC #1829
[quote]The [i]fruits [/i]of charity are joy, peace, and mercy; charity demands beneficence and fraternal correction; it is benevolence; it fosters reciprocity and remains disinterested and generous; it is friendship and communion: Love is itself the fulfillment of all our works. There is the goal; that is why we run: we run toward it, and once we reach it, in it we shall find rest.[/quote]

In other words charity goes both ways....you cannot expect me to be charitable, yet allowing everyone else to just rail the buhgeezus out of me because they don't agree with what or how I say any one particular thing.....and that has been going on ALOT around here lately...

How is it that I get slammed by Totus Tuus and all of a sudden this turns into a rant on how I'm not charitable? IDIGI...

This is my whole point....

[quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1309455657' post='2260915']
How is it that I get slammed by Totus Tuus and all of a sudden this turns into a rant on how I'm not charitable? IDIGI...

This is my whole point....
[/quote]
Maybe people think that if enough people tell you enough times, you may, at some point, realize it's true? Just a guess.

[quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1309453759' post='2260884']
No, but that is EXACTLY what is going on. You're justifying slamming me, when all I do is tell it like it is...
[/quote]

[img]http://moonflare.com/sitm/stickinthemud.jpg[/img]

Was thinking about changing it to this really funny donkey picture, but I thought that would be needlessly provocative.

As to the original point of this thread, I think the old-school type churches are beautiful. Some new ones are good too, but I tend to agree that the old-style ones were/are better. You just [b]know[/b] you're in a sacred place. The new ones look like a really nice City Hall.

That said, who cares?! Different strokes for different folks. I went to church in a ballroom for several years and felt more "connected" than at the Cathedral I go to now.

Edited by kujo

franciscanheart

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1309456842' post='2260931']
The new ones look like a really nice City Hall.
[/quote]
:hehe: Never heard it put that way...

HopefulBride

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1309431638' post='2260728']
How's this for simplicity? [url="http://media.dwell.com/images/643*473/pawson-plain-space-Novy-Dvur-interior.jpg"]Cistercian Monastery of Our Lady of NovĂ˝ DvĹŻr[/url]
[/quote]

That is muy simple.

wow

OnlySunshine

I really love the old gothic style Churches. They have so much history and are incredibly beautiful. I can, however, see the value of the more modern Churches who chose to update to more simplicity. I don't like it, though, when all you see is bare brick on the interior of the Church which is what my old parish decided to do when they renovated. I think it is probably the ugliest Church I've ever seen. :ohno:

cmotherofpirl

Some of the older churches were a bit too ornamented for my taste, you really can have too much stuff and then miss the essentials. That is why I liked the second pic better you immediately focused on the tabernacle.

faithcecelia

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1309461279' post='2261024']
Some of the older churches were a bit too ornamented for my taste, you really can have too much stuff and then miss the essentials. That is why I liked the second pic better you immediately focused on the tabernacle.
[/quote]

Yes, I agree completely. To be honest, while I think I have worked it out I am not 100% sure I can acurately identify the tabernacle in the first photo.

MarisStella

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1309461279' post='2261024']
[/quote]

An excellent point.
I think we can all agree that there are some really amesome things about the first picture and some really amesome things about the second. Truce? Let's all love each other?

[quote name='MarisStella' timestamp='1309474192' post='2261256']
An excellent point.
I think we can all agree that there are some really amesome things about the first picture and some really amesome things about the second. Truce? Let's all love each other?
[/quote]

Yes but please let's not sing the Barney song… please, I beg of you. Perhaps Bob Marley instead.