An Old School Catholic Message Board

Minor Rogation

Moneybags

While no longer required after Vatican II, the observation of Rogation Days is still encouraged. This year the Minor Rogation, the days leading up to Ascension Thursday, are May 14-16 inclusive. Today is the first day of the Minor Rogation, a day of fasting and penance.

These were traditionally days of penance, fasting, and praying litanies. If you are in good health, please remember to observe these days. Again, while not required until penalty of sin by the Holy Church, these days can still be observed. I am greatly encouraging them. For more information on Rogation days, see the links in my post entitled [url="http://acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2007/04/rogation-day-fasting-and-penance.html"]Rogation Day: Fasting and Penance[/url].

Historically, the Rogation Days are a period of fasting and abstinence, asking God’s blessing on the crops, for a bountiful harvest. Ancient pagan observances of robigalia included processions through the cornfields to pray for the preservation of the crops from mildew. And Christian honoring of Rogation Days has varied over the centuries: from observance on the fixed date of April 25 to great outdoor processions on the Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday before Ascension Day. Even Elizabeth I of England ordered the “perambulation of the parish” at Rogationtide, a custom still observed in many places.

This brings to mind an image of our processing down the avenue, declaring everything within the geographic boundaries of this parish to be specially set apart and consecrated as holy, pronouncing to every soul we encounter the liberation offered through the mediation of Jesus Christ, and staking our claim for the working out of the plan of salvation and the bringing of God’s kingdom here in earth.

And of course, in older days, the clergy had the responsibility of what we used to call the “cure of souls” within the parochial boundaries. That is, everyone within these lines was technically a member of the parish. Every institution was a chaplaincy concern. Not just every Catholic, every single person. And Rogation Sunday was a time to “beat the bounds” – to walk around the boundary of a parish – to be certain you knew just where those boundaries were and who was inside them.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='cappie' post='1272886' date='May 14 2007, 08:35 AM']And of course, in older days, the clergy had the responsibility of what we used to call the “cure of souls” within the parochial boundaries. That is, everyone within these lines was technically a member of the parish. Every institution was a chaplaincy concern. Not just every Catholic, every single person. And Rogation Sunday was a time to “beat the bounds” – to walk around the boundary of a parish – to be certain you knew just where those boundaries were and who was inside them.[/quote]
So... will you be doing that today, then? :mellow:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='cappie' post='1272895' date='May 14 2007, 08:40 AM']10.40pm[/quote]
7:41 am (which is why my thinking isn't too clear yet.) ;)

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1272896' date='May 14 2007, 10:41 PM']7:41 am (which is why my thinking isn't too clear yet.) ;)[/quote]

Thought it was just age.... :rolleyes:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='cappie' post='1272900' date='May 14 2007, 08:43 AM']Thought it was just age.... :rolleyes:[/quote]
:o

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1272862' date='May 14 2007, 04:31 AM']If you are in good health, please remember to observe these days.[/quote]
once again, they are not required :rolleyes: seriously, we appreciate the information, but i know i don't appreciate the attitude that you bring when you post such 'helpful' information. <_<

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1272862' date='May 14 2007, 04:31 AM']While no longer required after Vatican II,[/quote]
and i don't think you ever answered the question asked of you in another of your 'helpful' threads. i think the question was something about why the Church stopped requiring the observation? if you did answer this question, i apologize. i can't quite remember if you did or not.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1272994' date='May 14 2007, 11:20 AM']once again, they are not required :rolleyes: seriously, we appreciate the information, but i know i don't appreciate the attitude that you bring when you post such 'helpful' information. <_<[/quote]

And I don't appreciate people not even caring to hear about devotions like this because they strive to do just the minimum :rolleyes: