An Old School Catholic Message Board

Minor Rogation

Moneybags

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1273297' date='May 14 2007, 04:13 PM']I agree. I would appreciate the same. He is quite misleading.[/quote]
ditto the ditto

oh come on, am I the only one who automatically knew he was talking about the Heretical Anglicans still encouraging it? seemed clear to me :mellow:

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1273286' date='May 14 2007, 05:05 PM']You, dear child, are quite full of yourself. Again I will say: people are not going to want to listen to you with your attitude. You do not do what you do in the love of Christ. A prideful attitude such as yours would never be considered, in my opinion, a Christ-like (Christ-centered) attitude.[/quote]

Everyone, just forget about it. People here always strives just for the miniumum. Most of you sound worse than the Protestants that I talk to! Just forget I posted this. I was the one encouraging this along with hundreds of other traditional, orthodox priests. The Church has had this practice for centuries! It shouldn't be dropped just because of one ecumencial council, whose indirect results have caused more harm than good.

I forget that everyone just wants the minimum - NOT AN OUNCE MORE. :maddest: The truth is that I am upset about this and the rude, insulting comments directed towards me especially by hughey in the quoted section above. I didn't have an attitude before! I was just posting some information!!

puellapaschalis

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1273342' date='May 15 2007, 12:52 AM']Everyone, just forget about it. People here always strives just for the miniumum. Most of you sound worse than the Protestants that I talk to! Just forget I posted this. I was the one encouraging this along with hundreds of other traditional, orthodox priests. The Church has had this practice for centuries! It shouldn't be dropped just because of one ecumencial council, whose indirect results have caused more harm than good.

I forget that everyone just wants the minimum - NOT AN OUNCE MORE. :maddest: The truth is that I am upset about this and the rude, insulting comments directed towards me especially by hughey in the quoted section above. I didn't have an attitude before! I was just posting some information!![/quote]

I think and feel as though you're doing quite a few of us an injustice. You don't know me, you don't know my personal devotions and yet you seem to be willing to say that I just want the "bare minimum" out of my religion. How can you make such a proclamation about a person you don't know and will likely never meet? I hope to be a Benedictine one day, but I hope that I won't become a person like the perception I have of you from Phatmass. I can't claim to know St. Benedict very well, but I hope he's not really like the St. Benedict here.

All of this is modulo internet communication, of course. It's possible that I've just misread everything I've seen from you here, in which case I am doing you an injustice.

PP

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1273342' date='May 14 2007, 05:52 PM']Everyone, just forget about it. People here always strives just for the miniumum. Most of you sound worse than the Protestants that I talk to! Just forget I posted this. I was the one encouraging this along with hundreds of other traditional, orthodox priests. The Church has had this practice for centuries! It shouldn't be dropped just because of one ecumencial council, whose indirect results have caused more harm than good.

I forget that everyone just wants the minimum - NOT AN OUNCE MORE. :maddest: The truth is that I am upset about this and the rude, insulting comments directed towards me especially by hughey in the quoted section above. I didn't have an attitude before! I was just posting some information!![/quote]
Just because someone doesn't follow your devotional life doesn't mean they are striving for the minimum. There may be people here who fast and pray ten times more than you do, and don't follow your days of devotion. The fasting and spiritual practices of the Church have always changed with time. The Eastern Churches observe much more strict fasts than we do in the West; their fasts include meat as well as dairy and other products. Pope Pius XII changed the fast before Mass from twelve hours to three hours. If I were to start a thread and "remind" you to fast twelve hours, and then accuse you of striving for the minimum if you remain with the current practice, you would probably feel disrespected. It was once common for Catholics to recite the Angelus three times a day, and many Catholics still do. If you choose not to recite the Angelus every day, that doesn't mean you are striving for the minimum, and I shouldn't "remind" you to recite it. You should follow your own devotions. I would suggest that you keep these threads to the Transmundane Lane if you want to discuss spiritual practices, but please don't "remind" us to do something that is not required and is not common custom. There is nothing wrong with learning about different customs and traditions, but let's keep it in a spirit of charity and freedom, and not push our devotional lives on others. I believe you when you say this is not your intention, but we are letting you know how you come across, and all we ask is that you take this into account for the future.

[quote]Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a sabbath. These are only a shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

--Colossians 2:16-17[/quote]

franciscanheart

[quote name='Era Might' post='1273351' date='May 14 2007, 05:24 PM']Just because someone doesn't follow your devotional life doesn't mean they are striving for the minimum. There may be people here who fast and pray ten times more than you do, and don't follow your days of devotion. The fasting and spiritual practices of the Church have always changed with time. The Eastern Churches observe much more strict fasts than we do in the West; their fasts include meat as well as dairy and other products. Pope Pius XII changed the fast before Mass from twelve hours to three hours. If I were to start a thread and "remind" you to fast twelve hours, and then accuse you of striving for the minimum if you remain with the current practice, you would probably feel disrespected. It was once common for Catholics to recite the Angelus three times a day, and many Catholics still do. If you choose not to recite the Angelus every day, that doesn't mean you are striving for the minimum, and I shouldn't "remind" you to recite it. You should follow your own devotions. I would suggest that you keep these threads to the Transmundane Lane if you want to discuss spiritual practices, but please don't "remind" us to do something that is not required and is not common custom. There is nothing wrong with learning about different customs and traditions, but let's keep it in a spirit of charity and freedom, and not push our devotional lives on others. I believe you when you say this is not your intention, but we are letting you know how you come across, and all we ask is that you take this into account for the future.[/quote]
Well said, Era.

puellapaschalis, you also hit the nail on the head. this is a point many have been trying to make to him but he doesn't want to listen. i pray your breath has not been wasted.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1273351' date='May 14 2007, 05:24 PM']Just because someone doesn't follow your devotional life doesn't mean they are striving for the minimum. There may be people here who fast and pray ten times more than you do, and don't follow your days of devotion. The fasting and spiritual practices of the Church have always changed with time. The Eastern Churches observe much more strict fasts than we do in the West; their fasts include meat as well as dairy and other products. Pope Pius XII changed the fast before Mass from twelve hours to three hours. If I were to start a thread and "remind" you to fast twelve hours, and then accuse you of striving for the minimum if you remain with the current practice, you would probably feel disrespected. It was once common for Catholics to recite the Angelus three times a day, and many Catholics still do. If you choose not to recite the Angelus every day, that doesn't mean you are striving for the minimum, and I shouldn't "remind" you to recite it. You should follow your own devotions. I would suggest that you keep these threads to the Transmundane Lane if you want to discuss spiritual practices, but please don't "remind" us to do something that is not required and is not common custom. There is nothing wrong with learning about different customs and traditions, but let's keep it in a spirit of charity and freedom, and not push our devotional lives on others. I believe you when you say this is not your intention, but we are letting you know how you come across, and all we ask is that you take this into account for the future.[/quote]
Era, you may well be the single wisest person I've never met.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Era Might' post='1273351' date='May 14 2007, 06:24 PM']Just because someone doesn't follow your devotional life doesn't mean they are striving for the minimum. There may be people here who fast and pray ten times more than you do, and don't follow your days of devotion. The fasting and spiritual practices of the Church have always changed with time. The Eastern Churches observe much more strict fasts than we do in the West; their fasts include meat as well as dairy and other products. Pope Pius XII changed the fast before Mass from twelve hours to three hours. If I were to start a thread and "remind" you to fast twelve hours, and then accuse you of striving for the minimum if you remain with the current practice, you would probably feel disrespected. It was once common for Catholics to recite the Angelus three times a day, and many Catholics still do. If you choose not to recite the Angelus every day, that doesn't mean you are striving for the minimum, and I shouldn't "remind" you to recite it. You should follow your own devotions. I would suggest that you keep these threads to the Transmundane Lane if you want to discuss spiritual practices, but please don't "remind" us to do something that is not required and is not common custom. There is nothing wrong with learning about different customs and traditions, but let's keep it in a spirit of charity and freedom, and not push our devotional lives on others. I believe you when you say this is not your intention, but we are letting you know how you come across, and all we ask is that you take this into account for the future.[/quote]
:kiss:

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1273654' date='May 14 2007, 10:24 PM']Era, you may well be the single wisest person I've never met.[/quote]
ditto... She says that all the time....

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1273737' date='May 14 2007, 09:58 PM']:kiss:
ditto... She says that all the time....[/quote]
I do not! I only reserve that for special people, like Era.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1273742' date='May 14 2007, 10:59 PM']I do not! I only reserve that for special people, like Era.[/quote]
I meant you say that about Era all the time. :mellow:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1273748' date='May 14 2007, 10:01 PM']I meant you say that about Era all the time. :mellow:[/quote]
oh

:mellow:

well that's true

:insert two cents:

I don't keep the rogation day fasts, and I don't intend to start, and I definitely agree that we need to be careful not to force our own devotional lives on others. But when I read St. Benedict's original post I thought it was a nice post and quite an improvement over his usual style, which is often unintentionally pushy. I thought he made it clear that it wasn't required but that it was a good tradition. I didn't get the "do this or you're not a good Catholic" vibe at all :idontknow:

I think that maybe because people know where St. Benny is coming from and have a history with him, they read things into his post that aren't really there... One of my signatures in my e-mail is "Pray the Rosary Every Day!" That is a pretty emphatic statement, practically a command but I don't feel I'm pushing my devotional life on anybody, and I doubt the folks I talk to feel that way!

I think St. Benedict is [i]trying[/i] to mind himself. I know it is frustrating when you try to improve yourself and folks still find something wrong with what you're doing. If we still find his style lacking, let's try to talk to him with respect and charity and not with condescension. He might be young but I give him credit for making a go of it. Era has a great approach to this situation :)

Edited by Maggie

homeschoolmom

Well, when he accused people who didn't want to practice this devotion of striving for the minimum, I think he showed his true colors. :mellow:

if you do wish to fast on these days (and its strictly optional, of course!) fasting does not necessarily mean food! it could be the tv, the computer, or anything you would see as sacrificial!

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1273800' date='May 15 2007, 12:17 AM']Well, when he accused people who didn't want to practice this devotion of striving for the minimum, I think he showed his true colors. :mellow:[/quote]

Yes, that is his old style coming through because I think he is frustrated. I know I myself have a temper and when I am frustrated with a situation I frequently slip with my close friends and family, much to my shame :sadder: But I don't think when we behave badly we are "showing our true colors." St. Benny's truest self is the kind and thoughtful person that Jesus wants him to be.

Again I understand why people are offended by him, because in the past he has said extravagant things. But re-read his first post without bringing any of his baggage to the table. I just wish people wouldn't pile on him. I honestly don't think it helps him.

Edited by Maggie