An Old School Catholic Message Board

Minor Rogation

Moneybags

[quote name='Maggie' post='1273935' date='May 15 2007, 07:16 AM']Sorry everyone if my posts smell like Eau de Moralizing Harpy. It is just so annoying. Instead of an edifying thread on fasting we have a three page spectacle for the unbelievers.[/quote]
Being Christian does not mean that we accept everyone without regard for their repentance and past behaviour. I agree that this thread might have turned out differently with less bickering, but again, there are ways to go about repairing relationships. St. B availed himself of none of these, and then felt the consequences.

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1273937' date='May 15 2007, 07:22 AM']I'm now getting the impression that I'm in the wrong because of what I said in my post. Time for a Phatmass break for me, I think; I suspect I'm missing not only some non-verbal communication going on here, but also some trans-Atlantic cultural points.

PP[/quote]
I don't believe you were. I think your comments were entirely on point and appropriate, and I would hope that this thread would not prompt such a break.

Edited by Terra Firma

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1273198' date='May 14 2007, 12:40 PM']And I don't appreciate people not even caring to hear about devotions like this because they strive to do just the minimum :rolleyes:[/quote]
how do you know what my devotional life is like?
[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1273210' date='May 14 2007, 12:54 PM']It's this arrogance that turns people off to your words, not the fact that you make us aware of them.[/quote]
exactly. if you remember, in your last thread about rogation days, i thanked you for bringing the information to the table (so to speak). but your arrogance is very annoying.
[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1273342' date='May 14 2007, 02:52 PM']Everyone, just forget about it. People here always strives just for the miniumum. Most of you sound worse than the Protestants that I talk to! Just forget I posted this. I was the one encouraging this along with hundreds of other traditional, orthodox priests. The Church has had this practice for centuries! It shouldn't be dropped just because of one ecumencial council, whose indirect results have caused more harm than good.

I forget that everyone just wants the minimum - NOT AN OUNCE MORE. :maddest: The truth is that I am upset about this and the rude, insulting comments directed towards me especially by hughey in the quoted section above. I didn't have an attitude before! I was just posting some information!![/quote]
how do you know what anyone's devotional life is like? do you really know of us here in real life? and you compare us to Protestants? :ohno: that saddens me that you have been here all this time and do not see anyone here as loving Holy Mother Church as much as we defend her and uphold her honor.
[quote name='Era Might' post='1273351' date='May 14 2007, 03:24 PM']Just because someone doesn't follow your devotional life doesn't mean they are striving for the minimum. There may be people here who fast and pray ten times more than you do, and don't follow your days of devotion. The fasting and spiritual practices of the Church have always changed with time. The Eastern Churches observe much more strict fasts than we do in the West; their fasts include meat as well as dairy and other products. Pope Pius XII changed the fast before Mass from twelve hours to three hours. If I were to start a thread and "remind" you to fast twelve hours, and then accuse you of striving for the minimum if you remain with the current practice, you would probably feel disrespected. It was once common for Catholics to recite the Angelus three times a day, and many Catholics still do. If you choose not to recite the Angelus every day, that doesn't mean you are striving for the minimum, and I shouldn't "remind" you to recite it. You should follow your own devotions. I would suggest that you keep these threads to the Transmundane Lane if you want to discuss spiritual practices, but please don't "remind" us to do something that is not required and is not common custom. [b]There is nothing wrong with learning about different customs and traditions, but let's keep it in a spirit of charity and freedom, and not push our devotional lives on others.[/b] I believe you when you say this is not your intention, but we are letting you know how you come across, and all we ask is that you take this into account for the future.[/quote]
:thumbsup: thank you, thank you, thank you!

st. benedict, i like having you here, despite the attitude that you have sometimes. it's nice that you post information about things like rogation days. but i wish you wouldn't post such things with the attitude that you do. :ohno:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1273342' date='May 14 2007, 04:52 PM']Everyone, just forget about it. People here always strives just for the miniumum. Most of you sound worse than the Protestants that I talk to! Just forget I posted this. I was the one encouraging this along with hundreds of other traditional, orthodox priests. The Church has had this practice for centuries! It shouldn't be dropped just because of one ecumencial council, whose indirect results have caused more harm than good.

I forget that everyone just wants the minimum - NOT AN OUNCE MORE. :maddest: The truth is that I am upset about this and the rude, insulting comments directed towards me especially by hughey in the quoted section above. I didn't have an attitude before! I was just posting some information!![/quote]
We appreciate the information. It's great.

I admit that sometimes I can be a bit of a minimalist. It's because if I try to observe every little aspect of the faith, it becomes way too much about motions and not nearly enough about faith.

You are upset about minimalism. You wish to offer a great and dignified sacrifice to Our Lord. This is good, but do not think that scolding others for offering in their own way will make your offering any more pleasing to God. He is not pleased when we condemn others for their good prayers simply because they don't pray the same way we do. We are not all hands or feet in the Body of Christ.

It is not yours to decide the qualifications of a faithful Catholic. The Church is rich with many traditions and spiritualities. Inform others of them, but do not push others into them or blame them for following another tradition. To call a person who follows another spiritual path a minimalist--not because he does not pray as he should, but because he does not pray as you wish--is judgmental and rigorist. Who are you to judge a person as a minimalist simply because they do not celebrate a minor feast they are not obliged to celebrate in the first place.

It is the place of good Christians to provide information and opportunity for the celebration of individual popular devotions, not to judge others for not practicing them.

As for Vatican II, it removed the obligation. If just "one ecumenical council" can define the Hypostatic Union, then I don't see why just "one ecumenical council" doesn't have the authority to remove the obligation of a feast day.

God bless,

Micah

franciscanheart

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1273934' date='May 15 2007, 07:13 AM']I would just like to thank the few people here that have stood by me including Maggie and Aloysius. I just came here wanting to help people and encourage a devotion. I was immediately insulted and past things were again brought up. There is no forgiveness here. My writing style is unique. I can't help it if people always read into it. I have a particular style, and that is the style that I have always possessed.

So thank you to those few people that have stood by me. I am sorry I wasted my time here. I appears that no one wants to observe the fasting and pray for repentance and God's mercy. :sad:

I wish that I had never found this forum and met some of the most insulting people. Insults from people like hughey and hot stuff offend me, but they are allowed to post them. I just try to post about a devotion and I am immediately attacked. I wrote a reply yesterday when I was still angry.

Since I see that hardly no one around here can read my topics without bringing up past errors and then insulting me.

Good bye, Phatmass! I'm moving on over to a new message board where the people will be more welcoming when I post news, information, and devotional information.

To those few people that have defended me, thank you.[/quote]
Actually, Aloysius hasn't stood behind your attitude. No one here is fussing because of your information. People are fussing over your attitude. (Which, again, Aloysius has not supported.) Where are you going, btw? Fisheaters?

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1273938' date='May 15 2007, 07:27 AM']I don't believe you were. I think your comments were entirely on point and appropriate, and I would hope that this thread would not prompt such a break.[/quote]
I agree. Don't leave, PP. You were dead on.

Thanks, Micah, for your post. You are exactly right. (I'm making a blog post about all of this... when I can find time to finish one.)

[quote]I wish that I had never found this forum and met some of the most insulting people. Insults from people like hughey and hot stuff offend me, but they are allowed to post them. I just try to post about a devotion and I am immediately attacked. I wrote a reply yesterday when I was still angry.[/quote]

Look moneybags, Hughey rarely insults people. And whilst I'm more open to it, I make it a rule not to lob insults at someone unless that someone has started the fracas.

You've had a multitude of folks telling you that your "everyone here is interested in only doing the minimum" comment was insulting and uncalled for. Yet all you can focus on is how offended you are. And the only response that you've given is "I wrote a reply when I was still angry"

No apology

no acknowledgement

nada (that's spanish)

If you want respect here, at SJV, the halls of UST, or the corner Superamerica, you better look up that Golden Rule thing. (Hint: it might be on a test if you ever get to the seminary) And start living by it.

Oh and if anyone thinks "Why is hot stuff bothering? He said he's leaving" He isn't. He likes to promote his blog. He'll be one of the first to see my comment.

homeschoolmom
:guitar:
The Golden Rule...
The Golden Rule...
It's a very useful tool
to figure out what you're to do....

So, hot stuff, you talked about my blog a little. Are you a reader? Were you a reader?

PS: I have decided to stay but not post often. It's better that way.

Edited by St. Benedict

franciscanheart

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1277828' date='May 19 2007, 07:38 PM']After your 200th or so self promoting comment I checked it out.[/quote]
The real question is this: did he gain your readership?

ofpheritup

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1273198' date='May 14 2007, 02:40 PM']And I don't appreciate people not even caring to hear about devotions like this because they strive to do just the minimum :rolleyes:[/quote]

I'll speak for myself. "St. Benedict" I appreciate the information. I need to fast. I have hit a slump and right now (I'll be honest) I am "minimizing" majorly right now. And I know I shouldn't be.

I think St. Francis said it best, "I have done my part may Christ teach you yours."

Thank you for your caring.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1277830' date='May 19 2007, 06:40 PM']The real question is this: did he gain your readership?[/quote]

I find myself leaning towards more orthodox and informational sites like and-if-not.blogspot.com

franciscanheart

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1277844' date='May 19 2007, 07:55 PM']I find myself leaning towards more orthodox and informational sites like and-if-not.blogspot.com[/quote]
:rolleyes:

*stumbles in*

:mellow:

*does about-face*

Alright alright I'll say somethin'.

I can totally see both sides. I won't dare analyze other peoples intentions behind what they say, that would be kind of dumb. :P:
I think fasting is great, and I admit I don't do it as often as I should, and if I do eat small amounts, its not intentional fasting. Lame I know. I'm a lame Catholic and I will not deny it. I should be on my face in prayer in front of the Blessed Sacrament 3 hours every day, thats what I would love to do in my heart.
Honey rather than vinegar! haha I like that.

The saints are awesome inspiration. I've been reading St Francis de Sales. He was the man, read anything by him. Anyway, I digress(I do have a point I PROMISE!) He speaks of charity, and what a virtue indeed! I so wish I had more! The happiness that can be acheived with this virtue is indescrible. I have found, that when I assume things about people, I get angry, frustrated("why are people so daft??" I ask) but how does this help me? How does this bring me closer to the Lord? It doesnt! It makes me cranky.

Also, I think ALOT can be misinterpreted in a post, I think someone else mentioned that earlier( come foward! :P: haha) I hope that doesn't happen to me :ninja: I promise I'm not making value judgements on anyone here, it's just this thread has gotten me thinking about spiritual works I have been reading. I think I have become a little more watchful what I think about others.

Anyway, this post is not meant to point fingers (have I made meself clear?) I hope that I have not troubled anyone.

Peace m'friends. :hippie:

Edited by Luthien

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1277844' date='May 19 2007, 08:55 PM']I find myself leaning towards more orthodox and informational sites like and-if-not.blogspot.com[/quote]

Yeah, if the site has the word "Tridentine" you avoid it like the plague, right?

And I have never posted anywhere near 200 self-promoting comments. Never!

Edited by St. Benedict

franciscanheart

[hijack] I agree completely about St Francis de Sales. I've read a lot of his stuff. He's great. [/hijack]