An Old School Catholic Message Board

Minor Rogation

Moneybags

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1273198' date='May 14 2007, 02:40 PM']And I don't appreciate people not even caring to hear about devotions like this because they strive to do just the minimum :rolleyes:[/quote]
How very arrogant of you.

You know nothing of what we do or don't do with regard to fostering growth and development of faith.

I too noted that you told people in good health to remember to observe these days ... you again attempt to impose a greater burden on us than does the church. Your exhortation that people in good health should remember to do this is in contradiction to your earlier affirmation of the [b]optional[/b] nature of these devotions. Who are you to do this? It's this arrogance that turns people off to your words, not the fact that you make us aware of them.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1273212' date='May 15 2007, 05:55 AM']:popcorn: I'm hungry.[/quote]
Did you eat all the Mothers' Day cake..........
Oh well

:burger: with :coagulated milk:

I for one plan not to observe the fast.

1) It is not required, meaning that I am not bound to observe it.
2) Other than the somewhat snide notice of it here, I had no notice of it being on the calendar.
3) I'm putting in my garden right now, and fasting would not be a good idea. I need all the energy I can get so I can get it finished and so my body can recover from all these aches and pains ... oy, do I feel old today.

[quote name='cappie' post='1273214' date='May 14 2007, 03:00 PM']Did you eat all the Mothers' Day cake..........
Oh well

:burger: with :coagulated milk:[/quote]
I have a couple of mother's day cupcake ... I bought them not because I'm a mom but because I wanted cupcakes ...

homeschoolmom

[quote name='cappie' post='1273214' date='May 14 2007, 04:00 PM']Did you eat all the Mothers' Day cake..........
Oh well

:burger: with :coagulated milk:[/quote]
:drool:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1272862' date='May 14 2007, 07:31 AM']While no longer required after Vatican II, [b]the observation of Rogation Days is still encouraged[/b]. This year the Minor Rogation, the days leading up to Ascension Thursday, are May 14-16 inclusive. Today is the first day of the Minor Rogation, a day of fasting and penance.

These were traditionally days of penance, fasting, and praying litanies. [b]If you are in good health, please remember to observe these days.[/b] Again, while not required until penalty of sin by the Holy Church, these days can still be observed. I am greatly encouraging them. For more information on Rogation days, see the links in my post entitled [url="http://acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2007/04/rogation-day-fasting-and-penance.html"]Rogation Day: Fasting and Penance[/url].[/quote]

Encouraged by whom?

and why not say, "If you are in good health and wish to make this devotion, please do so" They are not required. Or, if your true motivation is to just make us aware of them, why not just post that it IS and leave your encouragement out of it?

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1273266' date='May 14 2007, 03:53 PM']Encouraged by whom?

and why not say, "If you are in good health and wish to make this devotion, please do so" They are not required. Or, if your true motivation is to just make us aware of them, why not just post that it IS and leave your encouragement out of it?[/quote]
yep

what she said

They are encouraged by the Anglicans as an optional practice.

haha... but that's about the only people left encouraging them save some traditional priests, St. Benny, and me (I tell all my friends to pray for a good harvest and they look at me strangely)

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1273278' date='May 14 2007, 04:01 PM']They are encouraged by the Anglicans as an optional practice.

haha... but that's about the only people left encouraging them save some traditional priests, St. Benny, and me (I tell all my friends to pray for a good harvest and they look at me strangely)[/quote]
do you try to guilt them into it after they look at you strangely?

franciscanheart

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1273198' date='May 14 2007, 02:40 PM']And I don't appreciate people not even caring to hear about devotions like this because they strive to do just the minimum :rolleyes:[/quote]
You, dear child, are quite full of yourself. Again I will say: people are not going to want to listen to you with your attitude. You do not do what you do in the love of Christ. A prideful attitude such as yours would never be considered, in my opinion, a Christ-like (Christ-centered) attitude.

yes, I tell them that if they do not fast and pray for the harvest, all the corn in the United States will be struck with a plague as at Egypt, so the corn-fed beef will starve, and there will be mass hunger throughout the world.

it's all up to them.

homeschoolmom

When you say, "It is encouraged" without saying who is encouraging it, the implication is that the Vatican is encouraging it. If that is not the case, then I would appreciate St. Benedict being more forthright in his postings.

franciscanheart

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1273295' date='May 14 2007, 04:11 PM']When you say, "It is encouraged" without saying who is encouraging it, the implication is that the Vatican is encouraging it. If that is not the case, then I would appreciate St. Benedict being more forthright in his postings.[/quote]
I agree. I would appreciate the same. He is quite misleading.