An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mark Wahlberg

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Norseman82' date='15 January 2010 - 12:48 AM' timestamp='1263538082' post='2037597']
And you know everyone's soul? Do you have all the confessionals bugged? Making a false accusations is a sin. Be careful the waters you tread upon.
[/quote]
While of course you are right that we have no way of knowing whether you or any human being has ever committed a mortal sin (which would of course necessitate you making a visit to a confessional) in my mind it is a bigger stretch for you to claim that you haven't committed a mortal sin than for jesus_lol to suggest that you have.

I am, however, willing to allow for the possibility that someday my grandchildren will have medals of St. Norseman.

:mellow:

little_miss_late

[quote name='Norseman82' date='14 January 2010 - 08:41 PM' timestamp='1263519706' post='2037330']
What does that have to do with anything? That's just a trick of the devil to shut people up from speaking out against evil and, as he would say in another thread, "call a spade a spade".

And no, I don't go around defiling and knocking up women. So there.
[/quote]

Norseman, I gotta say, I wonder what you would call me.

[quote]even among mortal sins, fornication is singled out for special condemnation...[/quote]
[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='14 January 2010 - 07:07 PM' timestamp='1263524861' post='2037395']
oooh! "special condemnation"?? you mean they go to "double-Hell" ?
[/quote]
[quote name='Norseman82' date='14 January 2010 - 10:48 PM' timestamp='1263538082' post='2037597']
Take it up with the Author.
[/quote]

despite my obviously mocking tone, i was actually looking for an answer to that question.

[quote name='little_miss_late' date='15 January 2010 - 07:20 PM' timestamp='1263612000' post='2038100']
Norseman, I gotta say, I wonder what you would call me.
[/quote]

or the several other men and women i was referring to on this board.

Edited by Jesus_lol

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='14 January 2010 - 08:27 PM' timestamp='1263526046' post='2037419']
No, no, no. I'm asking you what good it does, or what good fruits it produces, to call a non-virgin "defiled" who has already been to Confession.
[/quote]
+JMJ+
you know, it would be really great to get an answer to this.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='15 January 2010 - 12:58 PM' timestamp='1263574712' post='2037752']
^ I really dislike your signature.
[/quote]
A woman told me to have that second part. I am sorry if you do not like my signature.
But we can not going around changing things just because someone does not like something.
I drove through New Jersey and it reminded me of Iowa, I really disliked that.

Norseman, I would urge you to soften your position somewhat.

I'd be willing to put forth the idea that there's nothing more beautiful in this world than a repented sinner. The thief who was crucified for his sins and repented in his last moments joined Christ in heaven as surely as did any saint.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='15 January 2010 - 11:50 PM' timestamp='1263617457' post='2038168']

I'd be willing to put forth the idea that there's nothing more beautiful in this world than a repented sinner. The thief who was crucified for his sins and repented in his last moments joined Christ in heaven as surely as did any saint.
[/quote]

Actually more surely, or you can say he went to heaven with absolute certainty as Jesus said he would join him.

ed

[quote name='Lil Red' date='15 January 2010 - 11:18 PM' timestamp='1263615518' post='2038129']
+JMJ+
you know, it would be really great to get an answer to this.
[/quote]

See post 50.

[quote name='Ed Normile' date='16 January 2010 - 12:13 AM' timestamp='1263618823' post='2038201']
Actually more surely, or you can say he went to heaven with absolute certainty as Jesus said he would join him.
[/quote]

As canonizations are infallible acts of the Roman Pontiff, we know with absolute certainty that all canonized saints are in heaven.

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='15 January 2010 - 03:52 AM' timestamp='1263545543' post='2037635']
wow. You should read [i]Story of a Soul[/i]. There is also a pious tradition started by St. John Bosco that St. Dominic Savio never committed a mortal sin. I think there are a lot of people we don't know about who never committed mortal sins, not to mention the Mother of God and her most chaste spouse.
[/quote]

Actually the Virgin Mary was free from all stain of sin including original sin, and she remained sin free throughout her life. Although St Joseph was a very great man and saint, he was in no way ever attributed to be free from sin or having never committed a sin, mortal or venial.

ed

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='15 January 2010 - 11:03 PM' timestamp='1263614591' post='2038120']
despite my obviously mocking tone, i was actually looking for an answer to that question.
[/quote]

Ask the Author. I'm only quoting His word.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='15 January 2010 - 11:50 PM' timestamp='1263617457' post='2038168']

[/quote]

I thought I made it clear in post 57 that I was relieved that he wasn't behaving as he used to? But being glad that a sinner repents of an offense does not negate the seriousness of the offense being repented of, and it seems that people are getting their shorts all up in knots with snarky personal attacks just because I point out (even if it is in an Archie Bunker style) that something is serious, something that seems to be lost in today's world. Some may not like the stigmatization, but at least when there were stigmas against this type of behavior, the stigmas served as a societal brake and it caused people to think twice before engaging in such things as cohabitation, fathering children without marrying the mother, etc.

Edited by Norseman82

[quote name='Norseman82' date='15 January 2010 - 11:26 PM' timestamp='1263619608' post='2038211']
I thought I made it clear in post 57 that I was relieved that he wasn't behaving as he used to?
[/quote]
You did, but you were also very quick to equivocate on that point. I'm not about to sit here accusing you of anything, because I've got no right to do so, but as respectfully as I can possibly say it, I just think it could never hurt to set ten minutes or so aside to think about Christian charity and compassion.

Just a thoughtb for all here who are berating Norseman for his use of the word defiled, let me add that in actual definition of the word he is right, perhaps this will help,

de·file[sup] 1[/sup] (d[img]http://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gif[/img]-f[img]http://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/imacr.gif[/img]l[img]http://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gif[/img])[i]tr.v.[/i] [b]de·filed[/b], [b]de·fil·ing[/b], [b]de·files[/b] [b]1. [/b] To make filthy or dirty; pollute: defile a river with sewage.[b]2. [/b] To debase the pureness or excellence of; corrupt: a country landscape that was defiled by urban sprawl.[b]3. [/b] To profane or sully (a reputation, for example).[b]4. [/b] To make unclean or unfit for ceremonial use; desecrate: defile a temple.[b]5. [/b] To violate the chastity of.

The word has many uses, his use was not wrong as to his complicity in the act. We are to beleive that our souls are pure after baptism, when we sin we defile our souls. His use of the word may be reaching a bit in the sense of if the sex was consensual, then the woman defiled her own soul, for the male to have defiled her he would have to rape her, he definietly defiled his own soul though. When I sin I defile my soul, confession does reconcile me to the church with forgiveness, it does not remove the punishment I owe to God. When I sin I have stained my soul, I have polluted my soul, I have debased and corrupted my soul, I have profaned my soul, I have made my soul unclean, and yes I have defiled my soul.

ed

Edited by Ed Normile

HisChildForever

[quote name='pvtmiller' date='15 January 2010 - 11:25 PM' timestamp='1263615933' post='2038131']
A woman told me to have that second part. I am sorry if you do not like my signature.
But we can not going around changing things just because someone does not like something.
I drove through New Jersey and it reminded me of Iowa, I really disliked that.
[/quote]

Your signature has sexist implications, which is why I dislike it.