An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Whosoevers: Murder Your Flesh

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1330392011' post='2393822']

If you are not a Catholic or an Orthodox Christian, then you are a Protestant. Unless you are Anglican, as many Anglicans don't like to be called Protestants.

I am an Eastern Christian, an Orthodox hopeful, hoping to become part of the Antiochian Orthodox Church one day.
[/quote]

I am a Christian...plain and simple...no need for any labels...I have disagreements with Protestants as well as Catholics...I am a follower of Jesus Christ...a born again Bible believing Christian!

[quote]I once was a catholic so yeah I can make that claim [/quote]

Then you need to fire the person who catechized you...because not too long ago you told me that Catholicism and Santeria are one in the same.

[quote]I am a Christian...plain and simple...no need for any labels...[/quote]

You say that, yet...

[quote].I am a follower of Jesus Christ...a born again Bible believing Christian! [/quote]

[img]http://druffhabler.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/mass-effect-series-talizorah-appreciation-society-trollface_animation.gif[/img]

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1330392260' post='2393826']

...My philosophy? Really? My leaders?

The Sacred Scriptures aren't just something you read in leisure. to understand it, you need the guidance of the Church, who alone is able to interpret it. You don't just sit down and say, "hey, I think that's what it means!" You need guidance to understand it, otherwise, you lead yourself and others astray.
[/quote]

Where in the bible does it say this? I believe it is the Spirit that guides not the church. Can you back up your claim biblically...I can

Edited by Louie

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Louie' timestamp='1330392073' post='2393824']

I once was a catholic so yeah I can make that claim
[/quote]Unfortunately, being raised Catholic doesn't guarantee that one truly knows Catholic beliefs any more than being raised in the US guarantees that one knows American history. Misinformation abounds, and is sometimes even taught by those who are in a teaching position. Many Catholics have been taught incorrect information, and this saddens me. But it also means that being raised Catholic doesn't guarantee that one knows the faith. We all benefit from examining things.

God bless

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1330392406' post='2393829']

You say that, yet...

[img]http://druffhabler.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/mass-effect-series-talizorah-appreciation-society-trollface_animation.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I don't get your humor...mockery is not very kind or loving

[quote]Where in the bible does it say this? [/quote]

.....*headsteeringwheel*

Did you just disregard the whole Scripture verse....compilation that I posted?

Sigh.

[quote]I don't get your humor...mockery is not very kind or loving [/quote]

[img]http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/Node_Page/images/1310675759912.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1330392344' post='2393828']

Then you need to fire the person who catechized you...because not too long ago you told me that Catholicism and Santeria are one in the same.
[/quote]

I said I had family who practiced both...never said they were one in the same...don't go twisting my words around...once again

[quote]I said I had family who practiced both...never said they were one in the same...don't go twisting my words around...once again[/quote]

I wasn't twisting your words.

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1330392788' post='2393835']

.....*headsteeringwheel*

Did you just disregard the whole Scripture verse....compilation that I posted?

Sigh.

[img]http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/Node_Page/images/1310675759912.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Where did it speak as the church being the only way to interpret the bible..,sorry did not get that from those verses...it's just not there...I'll read over it again and again to see if I can find that there...I'll be back

[quote]Where did it speak as the church being the only way to interpret the bible..,sorry did not get that from those verses...it's just not there...I'll read over it again and again to see if I can find that there...I'll be back [/quote]

My point was that, as the Ethiopian Eunuch demonstrated, we cannot interpret the Sacred Scriptures on our own. How can we understand, unless someone teaches us?

Furthermore, I am not Sola Scriptura. I don't rely on the Sacred Scriptures 100% for all my doctrine. I rely on the Church, the Church Christ founded, not on flawed and false interpretations by people who reject Her. You cannot have Christ without the Church. You can't, period. You cannot be a solitary Christian. The Church is a body, not an amputated limb here and there.

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1330393149' post='2393842']

My point was that, as the Ethiopian Eunuch demonstrated, we cannot interpret the Sacred Scriptures on our own. How can we understand, unless someone teaches us?

Furthermore, I am not Sola Scriptura. I don't rely on the Sacred Scriptures 100% for all my doctrine. I rely on the Church, the Church Christ founded, not on flawed and false interpretations by people who reject Her. You cannot have Christ without the Church. You can't, period. You cannot be a solitary Christian. The Church is a body, not an amputated limb here and there.
[/quote]

If I was stranded on an island with no one around...how can I get to heaven? Can I confess with my mouth and believe in my heart or do I need to go to church first?
I know you don't believe in the bible as the final authority...that's where you fault...like it or not you are wrong and confused...sorry but the truth at times hurts but it also sets you free...something you need to really really pray about...in spirit and truth...not deceiving yourself...relying on the church is not biblical either...rely on the Lord and His Spirit...not on man made traditions

Edited by Louie

[quote]If I was stranded on an island with no one around...how can I get to heaven? Can I confess with my mouth and believe in my heart or do I need to go to church first?[/quote]

In such a situation, to a Catholic, you would recieve baptism by desire. God's grace is truly amazing and you, by no fault of your own, being apart from the body of Christ, seek Him. Yes, you will find Him.

But, if you are near and know of the Church, yet reject it, you simply condemn yourself, because you knowingly push the truth away from yourself.

[quote]I know you don't believe in the bible as the final authority...that's where you fault...like it or not you are wrong and confused...sorry but the truth at times hurts but it also sets you free...something you need to really really pray about...in spirit and truth...not deceiving yourself [/quote]

1. Bible verse that states that the Sacred Scripture is the final authority
2. Historical evidence that the early Church relied only on the Sacred Scripture as their final authority

Edited by Selah

Isaiah 22 is talking about the Messiah not Peter...don't know where or how you got that from this...where you taught that by man or by the spirit of God...answer honestly