An Old School Catholic Message Board

The World Is Full Of Sheep

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1328843853' post='2384643']

Well. I didn't intend to be rude. But he is way out of his lane in talking about what a bona fide bad arse he would be had he been facing the onslaught of Nazism. I know people who were in the camps and similar situations (like the genocide in Bosnia) and really don't appreciate the OP basically calling them kitty cats because they didn't aspire to his utterly untested standard of appropiatly bad-arse behavior. And I think it is just totally and utterly disrespectful for someone whose real life experience seems to be confined to shooting at a target and playing around in a Dojo to boast about what a bunch of sheep the individuals who went through the Nazi's camps and the hijacked planes are. That's just incredibly disrespectful of people who went through an event far more traumatic and trying than anything he, I, or anyone else here could possibly imagine.
[/quote]

You didn't mean to be rude just as I didn't intend to seem rude or act like I was all powerful. I'm not John Rambo. I couldn't take out a Marine, nor do I act like I can.

Iam not criticizing any of these people. I am asking a question and linking it to the fall of masculinity. If I was in those days, I would be terrified. But it's simply not in my nature to sit around and do nothing. If a Nazi came toy door and said "You're going to the camp" I would do anything in my power to stop it. I would rather die fighting than suffer starvation, abuse, and then finally gas chambers.

How do you know I haven't been in a traumatic event? My entire town was destroyed by one of the most powerful and biggest tornadoes in recorded history. People died, and I walked around in the dark with heavy rain and freezing wind with a high chance of being seriously injured for hours as I saw my hometown in ruins.

Being prepared to use force if necessary to protect yourself and others is just one of a multitude of the things that make someone a man, as opposed to a sheep. I'm also a 'martial artist', and as soon as I've moved to the US I'll be practicing with handguns, but I'm not myopic enough to think that this is what makes me a man.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Keep in mind that if you do become a Franciscan, the use of weapons or physical force even in self-defense would be completely out of keeping with your vocation. You'll find your superiors have definite ideas about you participating in a "real fight" with either guns or karate.

It is a big mistake (a mistake the worldly make) to associated manliness with the ability or willingness to inflict violence.

True manliness is modeled best in the God-man. Christ was certainly no push-over, but his ultimate illustration of ideal manhood was not in his anger but his willingness to sacrifice for the ones he loved. That is what a true man is, and that is what has been lost.

PhuturePriest

I am not saying this is what makes a man. I'm saying this is an important aspect of manhood that has been lost. Women are taking the roles of men, and men are taking the roles of women. This core foundation of the way we're made is being distorted, and one of the first steps we need to make is to correct this liberal thinking.

Edited by FuturePriest387

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1328844712' post='2384662']
I am not saying this is what makes a man. I'm saying this is an important aspect of manhood that has been lost.
[/quote]

I wish you could come to the near east side of my city. You are not unique for knowing how to use a pistol. In fact in certain neighborhoods most of the children know, too. The talent of being able to accurately shoot at things and people and beat them up is not in any danger of being lost.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1328845151' post='2384667']

I wish you could come to the near east side of my city. You are not unique for knowing how to use a pistol. In fact in certain neighborhoods most of the children know, too. The talent of being able to accurately shoot at things and people and beat them up is not in any danger of being lost.
[/quote]

Maybe not in your neighborhood, but it is in the rest if the world. I live in Kansas, which is primarily farm country, and it's still not popular. Most of the kids here haven't even touched a gun.

Edited by FuturePriest387

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1328845336' post='2384670']
Maybe not in your neighborhood, but it is in the rest if the world. I live in Kansas, which is primarily farm country, and it's still not popular. Moat of the kids here haven't even touched a gun.
[/quote]

Ah ha. Kansas. No offense to KS but this explains things.

I promise you that your experiences in Kansas do not in any way reflect "the rest of the world."

I promise. PROMISE.

ETA: And I don't mean most of the kids know how to use guns, in a positive way. I mean they know how to kill each other cleanly.

Edited by Maggie

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1328845419' post='2384671']

Ah ha. Kansas. No offense to KS but this explains things.

I promise you that your experiences in Kansas do not in any way reflect "the rest of the world."

I promise. PROMISE.

ETA: And I don't mean most of the kids know how to use guns, in a positive way. I mean they know how to kill each other cleanly.
[/quote]

To die is easy, but to kill is very difficult. There are problems with bullying and gangs in high schools, and if people learned to defend themselves it would stop. Martial arts teaches discipline and respect for authority. Perhaps one of the most important things is it teaches you to defend yourself, so people that attack you learn to respect you. If everyone that was attacked had learned martial arts from a respectable school, there wouldn't be such a problem. If you can't get away with attacking someone, you stop. It's that simple.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1328841672' post='2384618']
I said Glocks because I specifically shoot Glocks. When I'm not shooting Glocks, I'm shooting high-powered rifles. I even shot an assault rifle once.
[/quote]

Excuse my gun nut technical weenie'ism. but i do like to stick to proper terminology.

ie, clips are not the same as magazines, "highpowered" rifles are just normal rifles, and unless a rifle has a select fire mode including semi automatic, and true full automatic, then it isnt an "assault rifle" it merely looks like one. These are the types of words and phrases that i hate reading in badly informed antigun articles, so forgive my pedantry.

i would be interested in knowing what types and calibers of guns you use. any of your own? and if it was a true automatic you fired once, what type? id love to try one myself, but i doubt i could ever afford one of my own(if i moved stateside)

Edited by Jesus_lol

how does Matthew 26:50-54 work with all this?

[sup]50[/sup] Jesus replied, “Do what you came for, friend.”
Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him. [sup]51[/sup] With that, one of Jesus’ companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear.
[sup]52[/sup] “Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. [sup]53[/sup] Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? [sup]54[/sup] But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?”

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1328840137' post='2384603']
As a man that has traditional Catholic and conservative values, I find myself shocked and ask myself: Why won't anyone else fight?

[/quote]

You'll learn as you get older that 'fighting the good fight' is an internal battle of consciousness and intellect, not one of personal displays of physicality and violence. The values we as Catholics and as men embrace can be just as forceful through peaceful demonstration within our lives.

PhuturePriest

I think there is some confusion here. I am all for peaceful demonstrations of disobedience to unjust laws. I also believe the world would be a better place without violence and war, and I in fact do not like war and violence. However, I do believe there are times that call for arms. Did Jesus not make a whip and whip people out of the Temple? Just in this way, we must realize the difference between the times that call for peaceful demonstrations of disobedience and the times that call for physical ones. Do you really think the Jews wouldn't have been killed if they marched with signs and chanted some catchy phrase during WWII? Violence is to be avoided, but not disregarded as a last resort. Saint Thomas Aquinas has great stuff on the requirements of what is needed for a war to be just if you'd like to look further into it.

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' timestamp='1328840343' post='2384608']
The art of manliness has been lost.

It must be found by today's men.

[url="http://artofmanliness.com/"]http://artofmanliness.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Nice site. I just read a really good article on the importance of roughhousing with your kids.