An Old School Catholic Message Board

The World Is Full Of Sheep

PhuturePriest

The boxing example is an interesting one. Mohammed Ali began his boxing career as a young man with a big mouth, very flashy. He later famously converted to the Nation of Islam, and took a stand against the Vietnam war, and later converted to more orthodox Islam, and became a man who is known for having a big heart. He evolved during his life, went from an athlete to a socially conscious public figure to a hero. But in his earliest days as a boxer, he certainly wasn't the man he would become...being able to beat a man in the ring doesn't make you a man.

I'd say something like boxing only works to the extent that you are able to learn from it. Sports in general are the viewing spectacle of perpetual children...men who keep their eyes glued to the latest sports news. I don't think watching sports makes you "manly"...it can just as easily be a sign of unmanliness. There's a funny scene in "Brideshead Revisited" when this friar stops by the Marchmain house and is talking with Sebastian and Charles, and he keeps talking about cricket, even though the two young men are obviously uninterested, and Charles says that the friar "looked at me with the expression I have seen since in the religious, of innocent wonder that those who expose themselves to the dangers of the world should avail themselves so little of its varied solace." There can be something manly (and even religious) in things like boxing / sports (not speaking of the professional variety but the technical), but there's a reason why these things are very much the things of young men...not just because young men are physically superior, but because young men don't have the manly discipline and excellence that comes with age, and sports is an arena where they can learn it.

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1328991796' post='2385532']
PAUL BUNYAN!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]
[img]http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001641577/1715845552_tn_memes_no_face_of_course_not_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg[/img]

PhuturePriest

It appears there needs to be more clarification. First, again, it is okay for a woman to have a job. But men are he leaders. This is built into the Church! I thank the women that had a job and saved their families while the husband was unemployed, and having a job is okay. But women are trying to be the leaders of the household, and that's not the way things work. I'm not saying women don't have a say. I believe the mother on My Big Fat Greek Wedding said it best: "The man is the head of the household, but the woman is the neck! She can turn it any way she wants to!"

Finally, I worded my first post wrong. I didn't mean for it to seem like I am invincible. I was just trying to say that I don't stand back and let the government do anything it wants. If it takes my rights away, it better not expect me to just sit around and do nothing. That's not who I am and it's never been who I am. I realize I worded it wrong, and I apologize. You have to remember that I'm on my iPod, so it takes three times longer to type and by the end I don't want to edit my post.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329016275' post='2385707']
... men are he leaders...
[/quote]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32FB-gYr49Y[/media]

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1329016423' post='2385709']

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32FB-gYr49Y[/media]
[/quote]

I've had it with the mindless videos that are used to make fun of me and my typos. I'm on my iPod, so typos will be common, and the videos don't compliment the chat. I think you should read a bit on being charitable. That is a big problem on this site, even for some of the moderators and moderator-type people.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1329016767' post='2385714']
Relax. We tend to be rather light hearted around here. It's nothing personal.
[/quote]

I'm a very laid-back person, and I'm terribly sarcastic. However, it's difficult to be lighthearted and fun when all I ever see is comments that imply I'm an idiot.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329016682' post='2385712']
I've had it with the mindless videos that are used to make fun of me and my typos. I'm on my iPod, so typos will be common, and the videos don't compliment the chat. I think you should read a bit on being charitable. That is a big problem on this site, even for some of the moderators and moderator-type people.
[/quote]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWoD2sQ9LiU[/media]

Edited by Winchester

PhuturePriest

All I'm asking for is mutual respect. I realize there's little of that in today's world, but being a Catholic puts you in a higher standard. I respect all of you, and I will treat you with respect. But if all I see is disrespect towards me I'm going to have a low opinion of this site and the people on it, and I'll see no reason to stay. Let's all be adults and treat each other with respect.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329017142' post='2385718']
being a Catholic puts you in a higher standard.
[/quote]

LOL

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329017142' post='2385718']
All I'm asking for is mutual respect. I realize there's little of that in today's world, but being a Catholic puts you in a higher standard. I respect all of you, and I will treat you with respect. But if all I see is disrespect towards me I'm going to have a low opinion of this site and the people on it, and I'll see no reason to stay. Let's all be adults and treat each other with respect.
[/quote][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO30UxZG4Vo[/media]

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1329016947' post='2385716']

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWoD2sQ9LiU[/media]
[/quote]

Would Jesus be this disrespectful? How about Mary or any other Saint? You're being incredibly immature. I'm astounded, quite frankly.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1329017274' post='2385721']
Would Jesus be this disrespectful? How about Mary or any other Saint? You're being incredibly immature. I'm astounded, quite frankly.
[/quote]
I am incredible. Thank you for noticing. If you weren't new to the site, you wouldn't be astounded. This is pretty much the quality of work I regularly visitate upon the interwebs.