An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would You Marry Someone With Tattoos?

franciscanheart

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Maybe. I wouldn't marry a smoker though. We give speeches where people are curious about me marrying a schizophrenic and I tell them that I'd marry a lunatic but not a smoker.

IcePrincessKRS

I voted probably. I mean, I think I would, but it depends on the person. I wouldn't marry a copper posser that had tats, kwim? I wouldn't marry a copper posser that didn't have them either. Tattoos aren't the basis of a decision for me. As it stands my husband doesn't have any (although I'm not opposed to him getting any). I have good friends with all sorts of visible tats and near-full sleeves, I have no aversion to it, it just so happened that the guy I chose didn't have any.

Its a question of location, size and content. Don't really find tattoos attractive, but would only completely write-off a person if the location size or content of a tattoo made me doubt their judgment.

Yeah my husband wouldn't get one either. He'd be afraid of having tracking nano probes inserted. My mom had a tattoo when she was 66. It was a dot on her chest to line up the radiation treatment for her lung cancer so they got her in the same place each time.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1345597381' post='2471605']
Its a question of location, size and content. Don't really find tattoos attractive, but would only completely write-off a person if the location size or content of a tattoo made me doubt their judgment.
[/quote]

LOL...I have to think of myself on this one...I ALMOST got an "infedel" tatoo when I was first deployed, but then thought better of it...but it was close.

Now I have only one tatoo on my right forearm that was designed for me by one of my soldiers as an individual combat medic tat. I like it.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

O.T. "don't get tatoos like the pagans." Does this mean don't get tatoos full stop or does it mean don't get the same tatoos as pagans. I came across this verse and had had tatoos done before i read this verse. I haven't got anymore since but am researching as to what the verse means. It may be like the verse where saint paul says "it is holier for a man to have short hair and a women to have long hair, but is not to be argued about." He doesn't say it is unholy for a man to have long hair just holier with short hair and the churches understaning as far as i'm aware this means hair above the shoulders. As far as i can discern this doesn't mean the person can't be holy in other areas. I don't know as per usually this is mainly my own asumptions on the matter, unsure if this asumptions are revelation from the holy spirit in any way.

JESUS iz LORD.
Onward christian souls.

St Benedict "prefer nothing whatsoever to christ."

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1345598239' post='2471611']
O.T. "don'y grt tatoos like the pagans." Does this mean don't get tatoos full stop or does it mean don't get the same tatoos as pagans. I came across this verse and had tatoos done before i read this verse. I haven't got anymore since but am researching as to what the verse means.
[/quote]

Due to the research I have seen...I have come to the conclusion that pagans at the times got themselves tatooed for religious reasons, or to invoke spirits for protection, power and such. In that light I read the prohibition on tattoos in a light of reason and content of the tatoo.

My own tatoo I will use as and example. It is crossed suringes with a flag on one needle and a drop of blood from the other. For me it serves as a daily reminder that I have devoted myself to the care of others. My blood may be called for in carrying out that duty and it is one I am willing to make. Since it has a deeply personal inspirational meaning to me and not done with ANY religious belief I do not see a problem with it.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1345597514' post='2471606']
Yeah my husband wouldn't get one either. He'd be afraid of having tracking nano probes inserted. My mom had a tattoo when she was 66. It was a dot on her chest to line up the radiation treatment for her lung cancer so they got her in the same place each time.
[/quote]

Thats extreme junction, an exception.

Basilisa Marie

I don't see how it makes a difference in the slightest...

...unless it's his ex-girlfriend's name. :P

Edited by Basilisa Marie

as a woman with 5 tattoos (all easily concealed), I would definitely marry someone with ink (as long as I don't disagree with the content of the tattoo... like skull & crossbones or something)

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='got2luvjc' timestamp='1345600287' post='2471640']
as a woman with 5 tattoos (all easily concealed), I would definitely marry someone with ink (as long as I don't disagree with the content of the tattoo... like skull & crossbones or something)
[/quote]

The skull and crossbones has been used within Christianity as a reminder of the mortality of man, and apparently you can occasionally find crucifixes which integrate that symbol. :)

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='got2luvjc' timestamp='1345600287' post='2471640']
[/quote]

What if the person repented,found christ and disagreed with there previous skull and crossbone lifestyle? :)

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1345600410' post='2471644']
The skull and crossbones has been used within Christianity as a reminder of the mortality of man, and apparently you can occasionally find crucifixes which integrate that symbol. :)
[/quote]

On this matter of symbols i read that the pentegram was originally the royal seal of king solomon.