Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would You Marry Someone With Tattoos?


  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Yeah my husband wouldn't get one either. He'd be afraid of having tracking nano probes inserted. My mom had a tattoo when she was 66. It was a dot on her chest to line up the radiation treatment for her lung cancer so they got her in the same place each time.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino
Posted

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1345597381' post='2471605']
Its a question of location, size and content. Don't really find tattoos attractive, but would only completely write-off a person if the location size or content of a tattoo made me doubt their judgment.
[/quote]

LOL...I have to think of myself on this one...I ALMOST got an "infedel" tatoo when I was first deployed, but then thought better of it...but it was close.

Now I have only one tatoo on my right forearm that was designed for me by one of my soldiers as an individual combat medic tat. I like it.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
Posted (edited)

O.T. "don't get tatoos like the pagans." Does this mean don't get tatoos full stop or does it mean don't get the same tatoos as pagans. I came across this verse and had had tatoos done before i read this verse. I haven't got anymore since but am researching as to what the verse means. It may be like the verse where saint paul says "it is holier for a man to have short hair and a women to have long hair, but is not to be argued about." He doesn't say it is unholy for a man to have long hair just holier with short hair and the churches understaning as far as i'm aware this means hair above the shoulders. As far as i can discern this doesn't mean the person can't be holy in other areas. I don't know as per usually this is mainly my own asumptions on the matter, unsure if this asumptions are revelation from the holy spirit in any way.

JESUS iz LORD.
Onward christian souls.

St Benedict "prefer nothing whatsoever to christ."

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye
PadrePioOfPietrelcino
Posted

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1345598239' post='2471611']
O.T. "don'y grt tatoos like the pagans." Does this mean don't get tatoos full stop or does it mean don't get the same tatoos as pagans. I came across this verse and had tatoos done before i read this verse. I haven't got anymore since but am researching as to what the verse means.
[/quote]

Due to the research I have seen...I have come to the conclusion that pagans at the times got themselves tatooed for religious reasons, or to invoke spirits for protection, power and such. In that light I read the prohibition on tattoos in a light of reason and content of the tatoo.

My own tatoo I will use as and example. It is crossed suringes with a flag on one needle and a drop of blood from the other. For me it serves as a daily reminder that I have devoted myself to the care of others. My blood may be called for in carrying out that duty and it is one I am willing to make. Since it has a deeply personal inspirational meaning to me and not done with ANY religious belief I do not see a problem with it.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
Posted

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1345597514' post='2471606']
Yeah my husband wouldn't get one either. He'd be afraid of having tracking nano probes inserted. My mom had a tattoo when she was 66. It was a dot on her chest to line up the radiation treatment for her lung cancer so they got her in the same place each time.
[/quote]

Thats extreme junction, an exception.

Basilisa Marie
Posted (edited)

I don't see how it makes a difference in the slightest...

...unless it's his ex-girlfriend's name. :P

Edited by Basilisa Marie
Posted

as a woman with 5 tattoos (all easily concealed), I would definitely marry someone with ink (as long as I don't disagree with the content of the tattoo... like skull & crossbones or something)

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='got2luvjc' timestamp='1345600287' post='2471640']
as a woman with 5 tattoos (all easily concealed), I would definitely marry someone with ink (as long as I don't disagree with the content of the tattoo... like skull & crossbones or something)
[/quote]

The skull and crossbones has been used within Christianity as a reminder of the mortality of man, and apparently you can occasionally find crucifixes which integrate that symbol. :)

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
Posted

[quote name='got2luvjc' timestamp='1345600287' post='2471640']
as a woman with 5 tattoos (all easily concealed), I would definitely marry someone with ink (as long as I don't disagree with the content of the tattoo... like skull & crossbones or something)
[/quote]

What if the person repented,found christ and disagreed with there previous skull and crossbone lifestyle? :)

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1345600410' post='2471644']
The skull and crossbones has been used within Christianity as a reminder of the mortality of man, and apparently you can occasionally find crucifixes which integrate that symbol. :)
[/quote]

On this matter of symbols i read that the pentegram was originally the royal seal of king solomon.

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1345600612' post='2471650']
On this matter of symbols i read that the pentegram was originally the royal seal of king solomon.
[/quote]

I have not read that before.

Groo the Wanderer
Posted

i have a tattoo of orion's belt on my left arm




ok...maybe its just 3 freckles in a row....

Vincent Vega
Posted

I really don't care. The only thing that would turn me off would be if it was like a Mike Tyson style face tattoo, but even then, there would probably be great and virtually irreconcilable personality/outlook differences that would pose bigger stumbling blocks than a bit of ink would.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1345593583' post='2471571']
Maybe. I wouldn't marry a smoker though. We give speeches where people are curious about me marrying a schizophrenic and I tell them that I'd marry a lunatic but not a smoker.
[/quote]

I'm with you. To me there is no worse fate than marrying a smoker. Smelling that disgusting smoke and having a pounding headache every day of my life are bad enough, but possibly getting cancer is reason enough not to do it, and putting me aside I wouldn't want my children anywhere near that sort of environment. Above all else I hate smoking simply because it smells so terrible. I'm not condemning anyone that smokes, I just feel very strongly in my opposition towards it. My father's parents both died at the age of 58 because of smoking, and as a result he has ingrained in us children a deep hatred towards it.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1345599290' post='2471622']
I don't see how it makes a difference in the slightest...

...unless it's his ex-girlfriend's name. :P
[/quote]

I love it when idiots do that. There's nothing more depressing than seeing some guy who didn't think things through with a tattoo that says "Rosa's Forever" and he is married to a woman named Karen. :hehe:

Nihil Obstat
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1345600410' post='2471644']
The skull and crossbones has been used within Christianity as a reminder of the mortality of man, and apparently you can occasionally find crucifixes which integrate that symbol. :)
[/quote]

I just now realized that I actually have a crucifix with a skull and crossbones on the bottom. It belonged to my great-aunt.

MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1345602735' post='2471692']


I just now realized that I actually have a crucifix with a skull and crossbones on the bottom. It belonged to my great-aunt.
[/quote]
My sister, who is a Nashville Dominican has a skull and crossbones on the crucifix on her rosary.

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

[quote name='got2luvjc' timestamp='1345600287' post='2471640']
as a woman with 5 tattoos (all easily concealed), I would definitely marry someone with ink (as long as I don't disagree with the content of the tattoo... like skull & crossbones or something)
[/quote]

I could think of worse things than skull and crossbones... like my neighbors brother who has a naked succubus tattooed on his calf. When he's around the kids he puts a band-aid over her lady parts. :|

LinaSt.Cecilia2772
Posted (edited)

[quote name='PadrePioOfPietrelcino' timestamp='1345592562' post='2471559']
I'm curious as to what people thinkof tatooed Priests and Religious...does it affect your opinion of them at all. For me it doesn't.
[/quote]

My Pastor has told us that he has a tattoo on his back of the cross and anchor, which is the symbol for the Congregation of Holy Cross, the order which he is a Priest. One of the seminarians I know for Holy cross has many tattoos, all of which are religious symbols and of his Alma Mater of Notre Dame.

To me it doesn't affect my opinion of them at all. They are great men just following God's call. Same thing for any other religious.

Edited by LinaSt.Cecilia2772
Posted

Would you put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...