An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would You Marry Someone With Tattoos?

franciscanheart

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345725633' post='2472542']
She just really hates tattoos. You should see the look she gets at my brother's tattoos, and they're not even related. I hate to think what she'd do if I got one.
[/quote]

I'm just not a fan of them. Plus, I read once tattooing yourself to the point that you are basically all tattoos is immoral. I do have a hilarious story about tattoos, though. These two guys in the military during World War II got drunk one night (I'm pretty sure they were in the Navy), and one guy tattooed a fly onto the other guy, and when he woke up the next day he looked in a mirror and smacked his face as he tried to shoe away the fly, but he quickly realized it was a tattoo. He still has it, if I remember correctly.

franciscanheart

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1345726528' post='2472554']
I'm just not a fan of them. Plus, I read once tattooing yourself to the point that you are basically all tattoos is immoral. I do have a hilarious story about tattoos, though. These two guys in the military during World War II got drunk one night (I'm pretty sure they were in the Navy), and one guy tattooed a fly onto the other guy, and when he woke up the next day he looked in a mirror and smacked his face as he tried to shoe away the fly, but he quickly realized it was a tattoo. He still has it, if I remember correctly.
[/quote]
Just wanted to point out that most people who get tattoos do not get them over their entire body. Most people don't even get SLEEVES -- full or half. So.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1345727134' post='2472560']
Just wanted to point out that most people who get tattoos do not get them over their entire body. Most people don't even get SLEEVES -- full or half. So.
[/quote]

I know that. It's just tattoos in general for me. But I do not mind if you like tattoos or have a tattoo. It is not as if they get in the way of friendship for me or anything. :)

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1345726528' post='2472554']
[/quote]

Most people with tattoos don't get covered in them. Most people who have tattoos you wouldn't necessarily know it. We just remember the people with loads because they stand out more. I find the whole subject of tattoos fascinating - my dissertation is about stereotyping and social perceptions of people with tattoos.

You'd have to be a pretty heavy sleeper to sleep through getting a tattoo. I went with my friend when she got hers done and it didn't look like something you could sleep through.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345728907' post='2472585']
Most people with tattoos don't get covered in them. Most people who have tattoos you wouldn't necessarily know it. We just remember the people with loads because they stand out more. I find the whole subject of tattoos fascinating - my dissertation is about stereotyping and social perceptions of people with tattoos.

You'd have to be a pretty heavy sleeper to sleep through getting a tattoo. I went with my friend when she got hers done and it didn't look like something you could sleep through.
[/quote]

I love psychology, and I love the anomaly of the way people perceive things. As Bruce Dickinson said, when he got his hair cut and had nice short hair, people treated him more seriously. More people smiled at him at the store, and people trusted him easier and had a great time with him, even though he acted like the same great guy he was before. It is amazing how we subconsciously brand people on physical glance alone. I know a guy at the gym who is muscular (Not freakishly muscular, but more muscular than the rest of us) and he has a tattoo on his arm. He's the nicest guy in the world, but people wouldn't know that simply because he has a tattoo on his arm.

He was drunk, as I said. I suppose they just drank [i]a lot [/i]of liquor or something.

franciscanheart

[/quote]
EmilyAnn, I would super love to read your dissertation when it's complete if I could! I was just having this conversation the other day with a friend of mine. My tattoos are not something I even consider in people's view of me until I have to meet someone new and think, "Oh gracious, I wonder if this is going to be a problem."

All too often I'll cover them all up and reveal a little more each time I see the person. I know opinions change as they start to become more visible, and sometimes that smells of elderberries, but usually I'm okay with it.

To each their own. :)

eta: Someone recently told me that the general population perceives people with tattoos to be a drug and alcohol addicted culture with minimal education and an inability to make age-appropriate choices. :|

Belgian girl, "fell asleep" while getting a tattoo (that's what she said afterwards), ended up with this. She said she wanted 3 stars, not a 3 in stars. I don't think I would marry her :P

[img]http://wardjeblogt.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/sterrenmeisje.jpg[/img]

franciscanheart

[quote name='NonNovi' timestamp='1345729455' post='2472592']
Belgian girl, "fell asleep" while getting a tattoo (that's what she said afterwards), ended up with this. She said she wanted 3 stars, not a 3 in stars. I don't think I would marry her :P

[img]http://wardjeblogt.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/sterrenmeisje.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
Kat's are so much cooler. :|

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1345729157' post='2472587']
I love psychology, and I love the anomaly of the way people perceive things. As Bruce Dickinson said, when he got his hair cut and had nice short hair, people treated him more seriously. More people smiled at him at the store, and people trusted him easier and had a great time with him, even though he acted like the same great guy he was before. It is amazing how we subconsciously brand people on physical glance alone. I know a guy at the gym who is muscular (Not freakishly muscular, but more muscular than the rest of us) and he has a tattoo on his arm. He's the nicest guy in the world, but people wouldn't know that simply because he has a tattoo on his arm.

He was drunk, as I said. I suppose they just drank [i]a lot [/i]of liquor or something.
[/quote]

Stereotypes are strong. We don't realise often how much we use them in our judgements of others. There's some fascinating work on attractiveness - juries are less likely to convict an attractive defendant than an unattractive one. We naturally think attractive people are good.

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1345729185' post='2472589']
EmilyAnn, I would super love to read your dissertation when it's complete if I could! I was just having this conversation the other day with a friend of mine. My tattoos are not something I even consider in people's view of me until I have to meet someone new and think, "Oh gracious, I wonder if this is going to be a problem."

All too often I'll cover them all up and reveal a little more each time I see the person. I know opinions change as they start to become more visible, and sometimes that smells of elderberries, but usually I'm okay with it.

To each their own. :)

eta: Someone recently told me that the general population perceives people with tattoos to be a drug and alcohol addicted culture with minimal education and an inability to make age-appropriate choices. :|
[/quote]

It won't be finished for a while, but I'll definitely send it you when I'm done.

My dissertation is particularly about criminal associations with tattooing. It's very interesting, especially because the associations are so ingrained in history.

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345730394' post='2472599']
Stereotypes are strong. We don't realise often how much we use them in our judgements of others. There's some fascinating work on attractiveness - juries are less likely to convict an attractive defendant than an unattractive one. We naturally think attractive people are good.

It won't be finished for a while, but I'll definitely send it you when I'm done.

My dissertation is particularly about criminal associations with tattooing. It's very interesting, especially because the associations are so ingrained in history.
[/quote]

That is fascinating. I want to read it too!

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1345729395' post='2472591']
I would never hold it against someone for having a tattoo.
[/quote]
But would you hold it against someone [i]with [/i]a tattoo?

Edited by Winchester

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1345741388' post='2472726']
But would you hold it against someone [i]with [/i]a tattoo?
[/quote]
No, but can't say the same for people that are petty.

Nihil Obstat

[/quote]

Does part of your dissertation deal with the yakuza-tattoo connection in Japan? I'm kind of interested in that side of things.