An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would You Marry Someone With Tattoos?

franciscanheart

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1345753529' post='2472894']
Holy poo. You said something smart.
[/quote]

My life is now complete. I can die in peace.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345753592' post='2472897']
That's not too bad I suppose. I know of people who get tattoos that they are so clearly going to regret - references that will die out in a few years.
[/quote]

Yeah... do not browse that "Ugliest Tattoos" website.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1345753452' post='2472892']
No offense intended, but starting off your criticism of something by indicating that you don't mean offense is still offensive. So... no offense intended, but tatoo's are of the devil and all y'all will be condemned. Better ask FP to remove them with a coagulated milk grater, but don't worry, he doesn't mean any offense when doing it :|.

/end sarcasm

Seriously... how appropriate is it to jump into a thread where half a dozen people say they have tatoos to then say "No offense, but tatoo's are the ugliest thing I've ever seen in the entire world." Regardless of if you intend to be offensive or not, it's pretty darn rude.
[/quote]
:lol:

I thought the same thing when I saw Ed and FP talking about how disgusting tattoos are. Mind you, I [i]was[/i] surprised at how laid back and razzle dazzle the majority of posters have been about tats (and about how many actually have them), but still. STILL. :blink:

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1345753792' post='2472901']
Yeah... do not browse that "Ugliest Tattoos" website.
[/quote]

I have. It's hilarious.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345754277' post='2472913']
I have. It's hilarious.
[/quote]

Hopefully they have made that site a bit more SFW lately. :P

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

Okay FranciscanHeart, I need some tattoo advice. I turn 18 in 20 days, and I would really like to get a tattoo, but I want it somewhere that's concealable, but in a place that requires the least amount of pain. I don't really know my pain tolerance, but I REALLY want a small tattoo somewhere that means something to me. Any suggestions or advice of where to get it where it hurts the least?

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1345754579' post='2472918']
Okay FranciscanHeart, I need some tattoo advice. I turn 18 in 20 days, and I would really like to get a tattoo, but I want it somewhere that's concealable, but in a place that requires the least amount of pain. I don't really know my pain tolerance, but I REALLY want a small tattoo somewhere that means something to me. Any suggestions or advice of where to get it where it hurts the least?
[/quote]
Spleen.

All this talk of tattoos makes me really want to get mine. I know it'll be hidden (unless it's on like my face or my hands, which it won't be) but I still want it.

franciscanheart

[/quote]
Let me start with some other questions, if I may.

Do you already know WHAT you want to get? If not, figure that out first. I chose placement of four tattoos for very specific reasons related to the art I got and what it means to me. All of mine are "easily hidden" if I'm willing to wear a (even very light) sweater.

Have you researched artists in your area? If not, do this first. There's no point in even THINKING about going in for a tat if you haven't done your research on artists. (Really easy way to do this is to find someone whose ink you like and ask them about that artist. Even better is when you can find multiply people with tats by the same artist. Seeing the tats in person is way different than looking at a sketch book or even photos of the finished product. Seriously.)

Re: concealable and least amount of pain -- it'll depend on you, but honestly: inside of wrist (mine ins't huge but it's way bigger than I wanted and I can still cover it with a thick-banded watch), inside of upper arm (think of showing off your biceps like Popeye; it'll be the inside of the arm there, hidden when you put your arm to your side and easily covered by a shirt), thigh, or the meaty part of your hip (near the back).

Feet hurt. Boney hip areas (nearer the groin) hurt. Ribs and spines really hurt. Sternum is awful. Supposedly the back of your knee is the worst, but that doesn't sound like something you'd go for anyway. ;)

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1345755033' post='2472927']
the meaty part of your hip (near the back).

[/quote]
Otherwise known as the buttocks.

[/quote]I have no problem marrying someone with ink, but I'd have to ask my wife for permission to move to Utah with her.

I do think tats are a significant commitment. I understand prison ink, sleeves, actual body art. I don't understand getting craap like cartoon figures or butterflies. I hope the tattoo you'll get will still be wanted when you're 35 or 50. I think the short term physical pain would be the least of your worries and it was my understanding that is part of the idea as well.

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1345755033' post='2472927']
Let me start with some other questions, if I may.

Do you already know WHAT you want to get? If not, figure that out first. I chose placement of four tattoos for very specific reasons related to the art I got and what it means to me. All of mine are "easily hidden" if I'm willing to wear a (even very light) sweater.

Have you researched artists in your area? If not, do this first. There's no point in even THINKING about going in for a tat if you haven't done your research on artists. (Really easy way to do this is to find someone whose ink you like and ask them about that artist. Even better is when you can find multiply people with tats by the same artist. Seeing the tats in person is way different than looking at a sketch book or even photos of the finished product. Seriously.)

Re: concealable and least amount of pain -- it'll depend on you, but honestly: inside of wrist (mine ins't huge but it's way bigger than I wanted and I can still cover it with a thick-banded watch), inside of upper arm (think of showing off your biceps like Popeye; it'll be the inside of the arm there, hidden when you put your arm to your side and easily covered by a shirt), thigh, or the meaty part of your hip (near the back).

Feet hurt. Boney hip areas (nearer the groin) hurt. Ribs and spines really hurt. Sternum is awful. Supposedly the back of your knee is the worst, but that doesn't sound like something you'd go for anyway. ;)
[/quote]

Yes I do know what I want, which is either a small cross with a cancer ribbon around it, or a small cross with a dove to represent the holy spirit, something very small and simple. I was thinking the inside of my wrist because I want to be able to see it, to motivate my every action, to remind me of what I'm working and living for, and to remember who is really guiding me in my life. So basically the tattoo will be a dedication to Christ/Holy Spirit and one of my very close family members who passed away from cancer.

I have seriously researched a few artists in my area. I went with one of my good buddies when he got his tat, and I liked where he got his. My cousin also recommended a parlor in my area where she got hers, and plenty of my friends have recommended me places where they got theirs. I have narrowed it down to two places where I have gone with friends to be of support when they had theirs done. I have a lot of friends who turned 18 before me, and I live in Austin where having a tattoo is completely normal for anyone, hahaha.

Thank you for the help!!! :)

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1345755874' post='2472950']
I have no problem marrying someone with ink, but I'd have to ask my wife for permission to move to Utah with her.

I do think tats are a significant commitment. I understand prison ink, sleeves, actual body art. I don't understand getting craap like cartoon figures or butterflies. I hope the tattoo you'll get will still be wanted when you're 35 or 50. I think the short term physical pain would be the least of your worries and it was my understanding that is part of the idea as well.
[/quote]

Yeah I have carefully thought out what I want. I just don't want it to be too overbearing on my body to where that's all anyone looks at. I wanted something small, and meaningful to me.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1345752443' post='2472864']
While I'm not covered in them, I'm pretty familiar with tattoos. I'll tell ya: they do hurt. More often than not, it's not a "punch your mother" kind of pain, but it always hurts. Some places are worse than others, and biceps are definitely not awful. Also, I say this as a woman; we tend to struggle a little less with pain than men. (Science. Ask any tattoo artist.) ;)
[/quote]

Most definitely on the pain tolerance thing. Women have much higher pain tolerance. I'm glad it's that way, because it wouldn't be very fair if we had the higher pain tolerance and you were the ones going through labor. I've been looking up what happens to a woman's body during labor, and honestly I'd rather be shot.

franciscanheart

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1345757768' post='2472989']
Yes I do know what I want, which is either a small cross with a cancer ribbon around it, or a small cross with a dove to represent the holy spirit, something very small and simple. I was thinking the inside of my wrist because I want to be able to see it, to motivate my every action, to remind me of what I'm working and living for, and to remember who is really guiding me in my life. So basically the tattoo will be a dedication to Christ/Holy Spirit and one of my very close family members who passed away from cancer.

I have seriously researched a few artists in my area. I went with one of my good buddies when he got his tat, and I liked where he got his. My cousin also recommended a parlor in my area where she got hers, and plenty of my friends have recommended me places where they got theirs. I have narrowed it down to two places where I have gone with friends to be of support when they had theirs done. I have a lot of friends who turned 18 before me, and I live in Austin where having a tattoo is completely normal for anyone, hahaha.

Thank you for the help!!! :)
[/quote]
You're in Austin?! Get out! :) Rock on. (I'm jealous.)

Good luck and send pics! :like: