An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Have Tabernacles Disappeared? [resurrected]

mortify

Fidei Defensor

tabernacle on teh altar, some side chapel at St John Lateran

261_20500543017_2311_n.jpg

Most of the Churches on Rome are set up this way, if I recall

altar.jpg

The tabernacle is always placed upon the eastern side of the altar in a Byzantine Church. In the picture above the tabernacle is visible just behind the processional cross.

Apo, are you an Eastern Catholic or Orthodox? And do either of those use statue crucifixes?

Eastern (Melkite) Catholic. Statues in general are not used for veneration in either the Eastern Catholic or Eastern Orthodox Churches. Crucifixes should be iconic (i.e., two dimensional) if they are to conform to the canons of the Eastern Churches, but on occasion one may see a metal crucifix with a bas-relief image of Christ's body on it.

In our parish the tabernacle is in a beautiful back altar (statues, cross, marble and gold), we have a back and low altar.

Here is a closeup image of the altar at Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow:

altar_with_sacred_objects.jpg

Visible on the altar are the Tabernacle, the Icon of the Cross, two hand crosses, the Book of the Gospel, and one of the two Diaconal Jerusalems.

I forgot to mention the seven-branched candlestick, which is partially visible behind the altar/tabernacle.   :saint2:

• 5 months later...

At the end of this brief video it is possible to see the tabernacle (and other sacred objects) on the altar at Christ the Savior Cathedral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5MPZPnm0kI

• 2 weeks later...

St.%20Patrick%20Grounds%20060.JPG

This church is beautiful

That is a very pretty reredos. Sadly, the Latin parish that is closest to my house ripped their altar piece out when they remodeled the Church a few years ago. Now they have a lovely holographic (wispy) image of Christ upon the cross, and the altar has been moved to the center of the building.

Edited by Apotheoun

That is a very pretty reredos. Sadly, the Latin parish that is closest to my house ripped their altar piece out when they remodeled the Church a few years ago. Now they have a lovely holographic (wispy) image of Christ upon the cross, and the altar has been moved to the center of the building.

Whereabouts do you live?