An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Have Tabernacles Disappeared? [resurrected]

mortify

My home parish

Main chapel The grey below the crucifix is a marble baptismal and holy water font. The floor actually sinks where the alter is so all the pews sit a little higher than the alter until you get to the front row. Look at the change in floor height from the holy water font to the altar and you'll see what I mean. This means any pens or round toys that fall roll towards the altar.

raDtZdR.jpg

Day chapel for daily mass. This is also where the extraordinary form is said when a visiting priest from another location in our diocese who knows it offers mass for us.

TEsreD6.jpg

This is the room where the tabernacle is. Yes the big brown box is the tabernacle. The glass behind it is the main chapel. The entrance to the day chapel is right across from the entrance to this room. This room is also where confessions are held (no confessional or screen).

BcrFPk5.jpg

Nihil Obstat

My home parish

Main chapel The grey below the crucifix is a marble baptismal and holy water font. The floor actually sinks where the alter is so all the pews sit a little higher than the alter until you get to the front row. Look at the change in floor height from the holy water font to the altar and you'll see what I mean. This means any pens or round toys that fall roll towards the altar.

raDtZdR.jpg

Day chapel for daily mass. This is also where the extraordinary form is said when a visiting priest from another location in our diocese who knows it offers mass for us.

TEsreD6.jpg

This is the room where the tabernacle is. Yes the big brown box is the tabernacle. The glass behind it is the main chapel. The entrance to the day chapel is right across from the entrance to this room. This room is also where confessions are held (no confessional or screen).

BcrFPk5.jpg

Oh dear. That must be one of the worst I have ever seen.

My home parish

raDtZdR.jpg

TEsreD6.jpg

BcrFPk5.jpg

That Church is too modern looking for me. It is interesting that they have included Byzantine style icons, but they seem to be unaware of the placement of icons within a temple. The icons appear to have been reduced to a form of decoration.

As far as the tabernacle is concerned, it has been placed on a pedestal, which is most inappropriate, because the altar and the tabernacle are inseparable.

Edited by Apotheoun

Nihil Obstat

Very very interesting. I'm sure you know what they say about Cardinal Siri :)

Actually that is exactly why I have this as my avatar right now. :smile3: Not because of the Sirianists, but because of Cardinal Siri's own 'response' to them.

It was a joke based on the mod thing, but he was a really cool guy regardless, so I will keep it like this for another few days.

TheLordsSouljah

Oh dear. That must be one of the worst I have ever seen.

Really? You need to come to Australia. The 'renovated' chapels are so stupid, it's like they decided to make the back corner extend out like 30 meters, so that that extension is the main part and the tabernacle is in the old section. You spend a good minute searching for the Tabernacle, and then it doesn't even look like one. It's more like a bird-cage, with all respect. Literally. And the Parramatta diocese cathedral is possibly one of the most ridiculous I have seen, being like an auditorium, the people facing each other on both sides, the altar below the people in the middle, and the tabernacle is outside the main church in a side chapel rather far away. Not to mention the modern 'art',7855153.jpg

The wire thing you may think being the crown of thorns. No, it's actually 'The Holy Spirit'. Uhhh......

Sorry, gone on a rant. Does anyone sympathize?  *CRY*

Fidei Defensor

This is the sanctuary of the Cathedral of St. Joseph the Workman, the Cathedral of the Diocese of La Crosse. 

LaCrosseCathedralNoackOrgan.jpg?a=74

The tabernacle is reserved in a chapel off to the right of the sanctuary

CEM47356621_130194964539.jpg

Nihil Obstat

This is the sanctuary of the Cathedral of St. Joseph the Workman, the Cathedral of the Diocese of La Crosse. 

LaCrosseCathedralNoackOrgan.jpg?a=74

The tabernacle is reserved in a chapel off to the right of the sanctuary

CEM47356621_130194964539.jpg

I cannot quite tell from this picture - is there a 'Lady's Chapel' on the east end, past a quire and ambulatory? I am a bit confused at what I am looking at, because of the perspective. :smile3:

Fidei Defensor

I cannot quite tell from this picture - is there a 'Lady's Chapel' on the east end, past a quire and ambulatory? I am a bit confused at what I am looking at, because of the perspective. :smile3:

At one time it may have been, but now its just further seating, facing towards the altar.

Nihil Obstat

At one time it may have been, but now its just further seating, facing towards the altar.

Oh, that is unfortunate. :(

A much better arrangement would be to have the main altar in the apse, ideally with a good baldachin, then proper quire seating and a proper Lady's Chapel on the east end, which would then have the tabernacle on the altar.

Edited by Nihil Obstat