An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Have Tabernacles Disappeared? [resurrected]

mortify

The Latin parish nearest to my house still has the tabernacle in the center of the wall where the altar used to be, but it is shrouded in darkness during the liturgy. When I asked why the lights around the tabernacle were turned off I was told that they do not illuminate the area around it because the "tabernacle is not supposed to be a focus of the worship space while the community is making eucharist."

Nihil Obstat

I was told that they do not illuminate the area around it because the "tabernacle is not supposed to be a focus of the worship space while the community is making eucharist."

Sounds like baby-talk. :P

Sounds like baby-talk. :P

I am not a fan of the "worship space" and "making eucharist" lingo.

Okay, That kind of makes sense. However, I believe what everyone else here believes about the Eucharist and the respect for the Eucharist.

Okay, That kind of makes sense. However, I believe what everyone else here believes about the Eucharist and the respect for the Eucharist.

Yes, as do I, however the modernist liturgists don't care and saddly their view holds sway

TheLordsSouljah

Sure, the altar takes prominence, especially during the Canon, but seriously, sound's like someone needs to go home and re think their theology.

Yes, as do I, however the modernist liturgists don't care and saddly their view holds sway

That is sad... :(

Eastern Christian tabernacles will often be made to look like a Church (sometimes they are even made to look like the Church they are placed in):

artophorion.jpg

Nihil Obstat

Sure, the altar takes prominence, especially during the Canon, but seriously, sound's like someone needs to go home and re think their theology.

It is much easier simply to ensure that the altar, tabernacle, and crucifix are not separated. :proud: