An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent To Candlemas Reading Competition (2013-2014)

AnneLine

Because of popular demand and much arm twisting....

An Advent to Candlemas Reading Competition is now beginning!!!!

We had so much fun last summer ... and we got some INCREDIBLE results!

Summer Readers…………….……… 28

Total Documented Books read……..823

Documented Pages Read……....189,287

FINAL RESULTS:

DOCUMENTED BOOKS READ  

1st Place …….……… Cartermia……………. 415

2nd Place …………… DeusTeAmat…………   82

3rd Place …………… Chrysophlax …………   62

Over 50 Books Read:

Honorable Mention… Catholicterp7 ………..   60

DOCUMENTED PAGES READ   

1st Place ……… Cartermia ….…………... 36,009

2nd  Place …….. DeusTeAmat …………... 37,439

3rd Place …….... Chrysophlax ...…..…..… 18,549

Over 5,000 Pages read:

Honorable Mention… Catholicterp7 ……..  7,600

Honorable Mention… Ardill ……………..  7,263

Honorable Mention… BG45 ……………..  5,225

NOTE:  some readers did not choose to document pages read.

So... we're at it again!  

We are going to find out who can read the most books and the most pages  between the start of Advent (Dec. 1) and Midnight on Candlemas (Feb. 2).  

The deadline will be MIDNIGHT in your time zone.  

Any books that you finish BEFORE the end of Week I of Advent can be counted!!!!!

AND.... we are offering a BONUS for 'challenging books' -- we want to encourage people to try a book they have been putting off because it is too hard, too thick, in a second language -- whatever would challenge you.  You can designate ONE BOOK AT A TIME for that designation... and double count those books and pages.   Let us know why it is a challenge for you!  We want to encourage you!!!!

As with the original Summer Reading Competition guidelines from Byz, you need to specify the NAME OF THE BOOK and the AUTHOR, and if you want to count page numbers, the number of pages.

If you are listening to an audiobook, that will count -- we will accept the page number count as for a copy of the same book on Amazon.  :)

Sooooo.... time to lace on your reading glasses and pull out a good book!!!!!!!!

gift-books.jpg

Time to start listing your books.... any you have finished, and any you have in progress.... and you can designate ONE book at a time as your challenge book. 

ENJOY!!!!!

Edited by AnneLine

Not The Philosopher

I wouldn't mind taking part in this. A lot of my books will be from my class reading lists, I suppose. Right now, I'm in the middle of:

For the Life of the World, by Alexander Schmemann.
City of God by St. Augustine

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling (2nd time)

All three were started before Advent.

I'm also reading a couple of other things for some classes, but since I'm only reading excerpts, I'm not sure if they'll count.

I'm in. :) Right now I'm reading Catholicism for Dummies, I've started it several times but I've never actually finished it. :p I'm determined to this time though. ;)

COOL!!!!!

I'm gonna challenge myself with the C.S. Lewis Time Trilogy, one book at a time (Starting with Out of the Silent Planet) (I've tried over and over and just keep dropping it.... but you are all gonna encourage me, right??????

And I am reading Kaleidoscope, by Dorothy Gilman, one of my favorite 'just for fun' authors!  (The Nun the Closet and The Mrs. Pollifax books are fantastic!)

READERS SO FAR: (in alphabetical order)

ANNE LINE

Kaleidoscope, Dorothy Gilman (one of my favorite 'fun' authors, esp. the Nun in the Closet and the Mrs. Pollifax series!)

CHALLENGE BOOK:   Out of the Silent Planet, C.S. Lewis

NOT THE PHILOSOPHER

Readings for School (details tba)

CHALLENGE BOOK:   tba

PLOOMF

Catholicism for Dummies

CHALLENGE BOOK:   tba

Following the guidelines we used in the Summer Reading Competition (because they worked beautifully!).....

I wouldn't mind taking part in this. A lot of my books will be from my class reading lists, I suppose. Right now, I'm in the middle of:

All three were started before Advent.

Then all of them can be counted... you just have to finish before Candlemas to count them!!!!  Get to work!!!! ;)

I'm also reading a couple of other things for some classes, but since I'm only reading excerpts, I'm not sure if they'll count.

We decided you CAN count these, by calling them a 'Reader for ______ Class" and figuring out how many pages is in it.   We will trust you to be honest about it... I've had Readers like that for counseling classes that went to hundreds of pages, so I get why you want to count them!!!!)

Glad to have BOTH of you along.... now who else wants to play?????

So... where are the Summer Readers who said they wanted an Advent Challenge?   Are they off Phatmass until Sunday?  Stuck doing school work?  WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!  

Uh oh... return of the SUPER readers....   ;)

Yeah, but I won't be reading as much this time around. I have a job now and have been working a lot of overtime. This way, I will remember to take a break every now and then. 

Yup.  I do so get it!   Do you have a book you want to register for the 'challenge' and/or want to commit to reading next?

Good to have you back!

I only discovered the summer one right at the end so I'm really glad you're doing this again!

Brave New World (Aldous Huxley) - 288 

I've just moved on to reading Dracula :)

Glad to have you aboard, Emily!

Will note your first book and current book when I update (probably over the weekend, hopefully after a few more have checked in!)

Dracula is a GREAT book.... and well written.   When I was in college and one my friends found out I was reading it, he would wait for a half hour or so after leaving my apartment and then come and scratch on my window.  VERY effective at making me jump and scream!  Hope no one tries this with you!  :evil:   Bwwahahaha!

It is a great book, I last read it in high school so I decided it was time to get it out again! 

Also, do non-fiction books count?

Absolutely non ficton, fiction, prayer books -- check out the 'summer reading thread' to see the kinds of things (!) people chose to read the last time.  It's literally a 'catholic' list!!!!!

Here's a link to the last book competition thread in case people are curious... we kind of made it up as we went along, and that was part of the fun.... and fun it was!  

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/129669-summer-reading-competition/#.UqC_-53TmmQ

This time if you want to designate a 'challenge' book, you can find one that is a personal stretch for you.   I am trying to once again read some of c.s. Lewis' fiction.... I'm finding it worth doing, but a bit of a stretch. 

I was SO BAD at sending out the 'prizes' last time (I'm still trying to get them out the door!) that I won't promise that this time... we'll have to see....