An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent To Candlemas Reading Competition (2013-2014)

AnneLine

Yeah I think it will be.
Another question can we count the evening prayer/daily readings from Give Us This Day? Because I have been using/reading that.

Hope I'm not too late to the party, but so far:

1 Samuel

2 Samuel

1 Kings

2 Kings

(Sorry to have no page count handy for them)

The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose,  336 pages

Dark Creed (Word Bearers, Warhammer 40k), by Anthony Reynolds, 416 pages

Unlikely Disciple was something I picked up only reluctantly given the premise of an atheist at Liberty University undercover for a semester.  I anticipated it being far more cranky than it was, but rather it helped me see that I was judging him based off of similar premises in the past by atheists who were not as fair handed about everything as Roose, who he even gives Jerry Falwell an even handed treatment.  

Reading is reading, in my book.  (If you can read while you pray, fantastic!)

Noted that you are claiming St. F's diary as a challenge; and noted, Carter, that you are claiming the Final Exam Reading Credit!

AND I'm adding to my list (thanks for the reminder TheresaT!) that I am committing to Morning and Evening Prayer AND Office of Readings and Night prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours....will check what those page counts were on the Summer Reading Thread and update when next I update.   AND I am chunking my way through Out of the Silent Planet... still find it hard to follow, but doing better with it.... getting more interested in where it is going....

ABSOLUTELY we are happy to welcome you back BG!!!!  Yes, you can count the scriptures; if you don't give me page numbers, I'll use the ones in my own bible.  :)

Interesting pheedback on the books you've read.

I LOVE it when people give a brief synopsis of the book and/or pheedback on the books... makes me decide if I wanna put them on my OWN list....

HEY... what do you all think?  Should BG (who is one of those grad student TEACHING ASSISTANTS!) be allowed to claim the FINAL EXAM READING CREDIT?  Because, it strikes me... he will LITERALLY be doing final exam reading.....!!!!!

Thoughts from the students?

ChristinaTherese

HEY... what do you all think?  Should BG (who is one of those grad student TEACHING ASSISTANTS!) be allowed to claim the FINAL EXAM READING CREDIT?  Because, it strikes me... he will LITERALLY be doing final exam reading.....!!!!!

Thoughts from the students?

Well, he'll be reading final exams.... I don't see why not.

Thanks all :)  In that case...150 x 8 for the Finals.

And since you like Feedback... 

1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, 1 Kings...surprisingly good for Old Testament.  Normally I struggle with the OT, but not with them.  2 Kings...took me far longer than it should have.  Kept picking up my Bible, reading a chapter, doing something else, picking it up again, because pretty much only the names changed.  While it's a great analogy to our own fall into sin and failures of God by sinning again and again, you just can't help but eventually go "oh come on, He just smited you for this for the past ten Kings!  Learn already!"

Dark Creed was the last of a trilogy which cast the protagonists as Chaos Space Marines in Warhammer 40k, worshipers of dark gods.  I really never got into the trilogy, I could never root for the guys who were using twisted faith, massive human sacrifices, and the summoning of demonic entities into the physical realm.  I always found myself cheering for those who were being slaughtered by them, hoping against hope that they'd survive.  Spoiler:  Nigh miraculous intervention by an ancient race towards the end of this book makes sure that a handful of the heroic defenders do see another day.

An Earthly Crown -- Kate Elliot -- 515

His Conquering Sword -- Kate Elliot -- 496

The Law of Becoming -- Kate Elliot -- 752

Edited by Deus_te_Amat

BG, I think that makes sense... they wrote 'em, you gotta read 'em.... (and we think final exams are OVER!)

BG will get to claim 150 students x 8 pages for the Finals: 

Reading of BG's Final Exams:   1200 pages  Yowie!

Did I get that count right????? Goood grief!

Hm... DTA....

Well... if you are reading for your job, maybe.....   BG's  a college teacher... and he's reading exams!

I think we let people read training manuals last time for a new job....

You just need to document the stuff.....

But I'll take a consensus for the group.....   or we can give him the 200 page 'reading credit' for exam week if that seems more apropos...

I'm not a tyrant... really!

Edited by AnneLine

Ancilla Domini

A Tintin book: The Shooting Star (62)

Cilla takes out all of her "Tintin" and "Asterix the Gaul" books. This gives me a couple of thousand pages. Does that count? :hehe2:

Ancilla Domini

Yes, if you read them between now and Feb 2 at midnight!   what ARE these books????  I am getting curious!

Well, AnneLine, I was joking, because those are both comic books. :hehe2:

Tintin is about a Belgian Journalist/Detective, written in the 60's, I think.

Asterix the Gaul is about a Gallic warrior during the time of Julius Caesar, also written in the 60's.

They're both pretty brilliant, but I prefer Asterix the Gaul. (I haven't read either in a pretty long time, because I don't really read comic books, but they make some fun in-bed-with-a-nightlight reading, when you're brain needs a break. :))