An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent To Candlemas Reading Competition (2013-2014)

AnneLine

We had people who read comic books for the Summer thread!  :)

See... and this is the old literacy tutor coming out in me, guys.... what we were told to do when running something like this, say in a school or something... is to take the stand that reading ANYTHING is reading!  Because... what you want people to do to get excited about reading!   And for a lot of people, especially kids, reading a good comic book will LEAD to finding a parallel book-book to read.  Or if you get a kid interested in a teen idol magazine, they might move on to a bio of a rock or movie star.  OK, yeah, it isn't great literature... but it is a BOOK.  AND pretty soon they figure out that there are interesting THINGS in books!

I remember VERY WELL being fascinated by nuns when I was just a new Catholic at 10.  They were still wearing habits, and they looked like interesting creatures!   So... when I found a book by my mother's bed with a picture of a beautiful nun, in full habit!, on the cover, I got really curious.  I could read the title, "The Nun's Story".  Hmmmm.  So... I decided to give it a try.  Yes, I was in 5th grade, guys.   And I probably did NOT understand the whole book... but I had read my very first book... probably in about 4 or 5 weeks.  And while I might go back to kids books for fun, suddenly I realized that ALL THOSE ADULT BOOKS were available.  :eek:

:bible: :bible: :bible: :bible: :bible:

So... yeah, I know that I sound like I'm being silly with allowing almost anything to count... but there is sense to my madness.  I think. 

AND... this coming weekend, I'll start posting how many pages people have read... and who is in 1st, 2nd & 3rd place.   And you guys better be reading.... and get your numbers in by say..... midday on Saturday if you want me to count 'em in the update, ok?

NOw I better get back to my CS Lewis, or I'll NEVER get any reading done!!!!

Oh, I was mostly joking about the finals reading credit. I read to recover from work, the reading for which mainly just involves trying to figure out what I am supposed to be fixing, over and over. I would rather be reading for finals.

Tell us about this Kate Elliot person, DTA... you are reading a lot of her stuff!

I got the whole series as a black friday deal on Kindle. She's a good writer but a bunch of it was morally awkward. I wouldn't recommend it, per say, but if you skip the weird parts, it's a really interesting story.

Ok quick update for me

Book of Ruth

The Lamb's Supper 174 pages

On a side note I am now done with finals so I can start reading a bit more. I just got an excellent book on Mary it is called Walking with Mary by Edward Sri. He was the speaker at our Advent by Candlelight thing this evening and was wonderful so I bought his books AND he signed them!

xTrishaxLynnx

I'm about to attempt one solid hour of reading before I have to work. Lately I've only had time to read just before going to sleep and I've made it no more than 20-30 minutes before I can't keep my eyes open. heh

Tricia, I totally get that!   I've been slogging away at Out of the Silent Planet just before falling asleep... which is when/where I do MOST of my recreational reading (had the INSPIRED idea a few years back of making my bed with a nice book INSIDE the covers, so when I open them up, the book is waiting for me -- helps a lot when my husband is off WORKING at those hours!!!! :( -- and it is so much fun to curl up with it and relax and just flip off the light when the time comes.

BUT... it isn't working with Out of the Silent Planet.  I think because I can't keep the characters and the 'translation' straight... and I have ended up with some REALLY ODD dreams!    So... moved it to a different time and place now, and making much better progress... might have THAT part of my challenge books finished over the weekend!!!!  YAAAAAAY!

TT, that sounds fascinating, the book you got that was signed.  Great Advent book!!!!!    Is 'The Book of Ruth' the Bible one, or another book?  Do you want to give me a page count, or will you take the pagination from my own bible?

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to read this week, which is unfortunate. :( 

But I'm about halfway through Dracula (I read it while I'm cooking, which is why it's taking me so long) and I've just started a new book called Before I Go To Sleep that I'm going to power through because my sister is taking it away with her on Wednesday. 

Not The Philosopher

You can cross Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire off of the list - 636 pages.

That is as far as I got in the series back when these books were still coming out.

And I'll claim my 200 pages school credit :)

Edited by Not The Philosopher

Spem in alium

Awesome thread!

Currently reading: The Collected Works of Oscar Wilde and Niall Ferguson's Civilisation: The Six Killer Apps of Western Power.