An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advent To Candlemas Reading Competition (2013-2014)

AnneLine

I also read the Summer Reading Competition thread and got lots of good ideas.  I had never seen The Book Thief and loved Daisy Newman from a long time ago.  Did not know that she had written a book about the Camino!!  Divergent also sounds great.  Anyway, got a long list, so thanks Summer Readers!!

Does the 34 pages of the Summer Reading Thread count as a read book LOL?

Before I tackle the Summa  :unsure: , I've decided to read F.J. Sheed's Theology for Beginners.  I had asked for recommendations on the Phorum, had gotten some, and had started this book.  But, alas, I did not finish it!!  So...have started over and want it to be my challenge book.

F.J. Sheed, Theology for Beginners, 252 pages.

Edited by Comingback

Ancilla Domini

At the moment, I'm trying to finish "A Tale of Two Cities." I'm coming down home stretch there, and loving it to death! :) (That's 372 pages.)

I've also just started reading The Betrothed, (I Promessi Sposi) by Alessandro Manzoni. 713 pages right there. :bounce:

1085 pages altogether. I'll start out there, and then we'll see. :D

Edited by Ancilla Domini

ChristinaTherese

Well, since you mention me.... I have finals this week. I might surface next week.... Right now I have other stuff to do before Tuesday evening/early on Wednesday.

well... CarterMia, you are not the ONLY Phatmasser with time and a chocolate pot!

Was given a copy of a book ABOUT a friend of mine, Fr. Bonaventure Galvin, OCD.  He was the Provincial Delegate for our Secular Order, and just a saintly guy.    His long-time secretary has been working on the book for 20 years... and they 'rushed it to publication' (probably too quickly!) I think so she will have the pleasure of seeing it in print... she's nearly 90.    It isn't a great work of literature, but it was a nice tribute.

got it last night... read it through twice... so I'm gonna claim 2 books for it!   (and a ton of gratitude to both of them!)

Lights of Glory:  A Biography of Father Bonaventure Galvin, O.C.D., 1925-1992 by Dolores Grogan, O.C.D.S.  153 pages (read twice)

--------------------------

LOTS of good books!     Got your Challenge book, Coming back... great idea!    I dunno about counting pages for reading the Summer Reading thread.  Part of me says that well... we gave it to you as a reference book, and yu read it... .I think it is an on-line book!   On the other hand... we might be opening up a can of worms.... how many pages are on the internet???!!!!!  

Depending on what others think, I think that it could be counted... and the question is definitely into the spirit and fun of this thread!!!

AncillaDomini... great choices!  Are you designating Tale of Two Cities as a Challenge Book for double page count?  Or are you going get started on The Betrothed as that.  BTW.... I first heard of The Betrothed (literally I promessi sponsi -- which I thought meant 'I promise to my spouse!') in reading a biography of Bl. Pope John XXIII as a kid.   Apparently it had a HUGE impact on him as well -- what a great tribute to both our popes!  Might put this on my 'gotta get to' list to get done by late summer.....

I also need to commit to reading The Story Of A Soul (Study Edition).  By St. Therese, ed. Marc Foley.  I need to get it read BECAUSE I have to teach a class in it next spring to my Secular Order novices.   Of course, I've read The Story of a Soul before, but not all the other stuff in the Study Edition... So.... you all can help me get this done before Candlemas!!!!   YES!!!!!

Good to see so much reading going on... and I bet it picks up steam after finals are over, too!!!!!

What is a challenge book?

The books that count have to be finished no earlier than December 1, 2013, right?

Good question, L&T!

I explained it on 1st page, but good opportunity to explain again -- happens when threads get long!

This competition goes from start of Advent (Dec 1, 2013) through Candlemas (Feb 2, 2014).  People wanted an 'advent' thread... but it seemed cruel to cut out all the students who have finals and papers.... so decided to just give us a chance to get a good new habit of reading started for January 2014 as well!

ANY books started earlier than that can be finished... but you need to get the reading of the book done by Feb 2 at midnight wherever you are to count it.

ALL of us have 'hard books' we've been putting off.... or are tempted to just read a lot of easy ones.  Soo... as an encouragement to tackle some harder stuff this challenge, I suggested that each of us could choose ONE BOOK AT A TIME, and designate it as our 'challenge book'.  You can do more than one challenge, but you have to designate 'em one at a time and finish it before you do another.   You can also read any other books you want and get credit for those.  BUT the challenge ones, if designated, will be eligible for a DOUBLE PAGE COUNT.   Just a little incentive to get us reading harder books!

You gonna come play with us?????!!!!!   :please:

...ALL of us have 'hard books' we've been putting off.... or are tempted to just read a lot of easy ones....

Was this meant for me Anneline? I think it was! :p

weeelllll.... maybe..... ;)  

But I have 'em too!   TONS of books around the house that I put off reading because the others are easier, faster, or I just don't wanna sit down and do some work!

But... here's the thing, CarterMia... I can remember at one point when I was in High School, one of my slightly older friends (she was probably in her mid 20's, but she was ADULT to me!) got all grumpy with me one day, saying she didn't like seeing me reading 'kids books' -- and she pooh poohed reading books that were too young for me.  I didn't agree with her -- then or now.  BECAUSE a well-written book transcends the ages of its intended readers.  I've had little kids captivated by reading to them from an ADULT book.  And I actually took a course in college -- one of my BEST courses, I might add! -- of 'Visionary Child in Literature' -- and we read little kids books -- about 50 of 'em -- over the course of the semester and journaled about what was in them.  And that was FASCINATING.  Reading those as an adult and talking about them in class.

BUT.... I have always been grateful for the nudge that friend gave me to challenge me to read more adult stuff too.  Because there IS a danger of just 'reading to the level they expect you to be at' when you are in middle and high school.   So... yeah, the challenge WAS directed at you... and at all of us....

:bible:  its not just for kids.....

Carter, DTA, ComingHome... if we keep talking Aquinas and Creationism and evolution and History of Ideas we will NEVER get any reading done!!!!!  rotfl

Edited by AnneLine

Carter, DTA, ComingHome... if we keep talking Aquinas and Creationism and evolution and History of Ideas we will NEVER get any reading done!!!!!  rotfl

But think how SMART we will be.  You've got me sorted, I think.  I have a plan.  Have just ordered Aquinas' own shorter version of his work.

Well, well.... I do think it sounds like a plan.  :)

And interesting doings up on that Aquinas thread in Open Mic, huh?  he he he