An Old School Catholic Message Board

Insights from the Life of a Franciscan Sister

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

Good idea! 

This phrase: “Do it for Jesus; He’s the one we do it for.”was very powerful for me.  It really took the edge of a very difficult struggle.  Now I just have to pray that I can stick with it.  

Edited by sr.christinaosf

That is a wonderful phrase to keep in your heart throughout the day. I read in a book somewhere that it is good to get into the habit of saying "O Jesus, I thank you for everything" very often throughout the day or in every situation we encounter. It is a way of abandoning ourselves to His Will, and dying to ourselves. Thanking Jesus for everything is hard to do with sincerity of heart when it is something that is frustrating for us versus when something pleases us!

If we have the focus, the intention, of doing it for Him, somehow, we find courage (and maybe even joy) to face challenging situations.

Sr. Christina M. Neumann

Amen!  This resonates with me a lot right now because as difficult as things are all I can do is do it for Him.  It reminds me of a quote attributed to Bl Mother Teresa which has helped get me through many days at work and life in general but especially at work!

WGIS2wf.jpg

sr.christinaosf

The niece of one of our sisters just brought us a bunch of fresh produce so yesterday afternoon and evening was a whirlwind for me of preserving these for future use.  We're also expecting special company this coming week (General Visitation from Germany) so we decided to use some of the eggs she brought to make a special apple bread pudding.  Unfortunately, I had already made sauce out of the other apples I had picked or received but I knew there were still apples on the trees where I had picked the last time.  

I decided to walk down there (my bike still is in need of repair from the time I loaded it with apples a couple of weeks ago.)  This time I wore an apron (which I still had on from our garage-cleaning project in anticipation of our company.  Last time, I remembered having wished I had an apron to help in gathering the apples.  

So, after making plum jam with the plums and cleaning, cutting and pureeing the tomatoes, I tackled the apples I'd picked. I peeled and cut up eight cups worth for the double-batch of bread pudding.  The rest I left in our activity room to tackle on Monday or so.  

I'm always game for a little adventure, so I saved the plum pits.  Having done a little research, we're going to try to sprout some of them and, who knows, we may end up with a plum tree, or two, out of the deal.  

So, after making plum jam with the plums and cleaning, cutting and pureeing the tomatoes, I tackled the apples I'd picked. I peeled and cut up eight cups worth for the double-batch of bread pudding.  The rest I left in our activity room to tackle on Monday or so.  

What a baalabosteh! ["housewife"]

sr.christinaosf

Boy, That Sure is a Noisy Washer!…

20150919_102328This morning, I finally decided to do laundry (or at least my ‘blacks’).  I debated whether I should hand-wash them or throw them in the machine.  Hand-washing tends to be a bit easier on the clothing and does not require running the big machine.  I filled a basin with warm/hot water, preparing to wash them by hand this time.

However, it was a good size load, and I discovered the basin really wouldn’t be big enough to soak them all properly. (I wanted to pre-soak them to make sure they got good and clean and any spots and smudges were removed.) After adding the clothes to the basin, I changed my mind and just threw them in the washer.  I figured if I used the ‘hand-washables’ or ‘delicate’ cycle, it wouldn’t hurt these homemade skirts and vests.

As I was attending to other duties at the convent, I noticed that the machine was exceptionally noisy.  I tried to brush it off, figuring it was probably the canvas piece from my veil.  Not noticing anything wrong with the machine, I just let it be and went on with my day.

However, this afternoon, when I returned to the house to take out my freshly laundered items, I made a discovery that made me chuckle: the plastic basin that I had considered using to hand-wash the items was still in the machine!  I examined it carefully and found, thankfully, that it was not damaged from being tossed around mercilessly by the washer.  Good thing I had used the ‘delicate’ cycle.  As I took my black clothes out, I paid attention but they did not seem to be damaged, either.

How can you forget to take out the tub/basin?  I could hardly believe it!  I must have gotten distracted!  I was feeling pretty ditsy after this.  However, one of my co-workers shared a story of a comparable humiliating experience with laundry, so I’m not alone.

Actually, this experience with the ‘noisy washer’ could be an opportunity for me to follow our Franciscan Rule more closely, which encourages humility in more than one passage.  One quotation which seems especially apropos for today’s humiliating experience is: “…all the brothers and sisters, whether they are engaged in prayer, or in announcing the Word of God, or in serving or doing manual labor should strive to be humble in everything.”

Good thing life (or my own shortcomings) provides me with opportunities for this!

sr.christinaosf

A Week of Special Visits

This week is truly a special time for us!

popefrancis.jpg?w=375&h=246 As American Catholics, we are happy at the visit of Pope Francis to our own country.  I’ve been following the coverage of his travels somewhat.

As Dillingen Franciscan Sisters of the Hankinson, ND province, we’re also having  a special visit: our superior general, Sr. Roswitha, is visiting from Germany, along with one of her Councillors, Sr. Paulit, originally from India.

Here at St. Anne’s we’re ‘getting into the spirit.’  We enjoyed a presentation from our visiting Sisters about their native lands, and this morning our activity director is doing a little program on the pope and using some fun trivia questions I found.

As I type this, from the comfort of the St. Anne’s reception desk, Sr. Elaine is filling a role she enjoys, that of a driving tour guide.  She is showing our Sisters the sites of the City of Grand Forks, complete on insights into the history, especially that related to the infamous ‘flood of ’97.’

I am happy to have other duties that detain me from coming with (working the front desk) so I can avoid getting car-sick.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Sisters and visitors gather in resident dining room

Nonetheless, I would like to close by reflecting on how blessed we are, this week in early autumn, to have these special visitors!

Welcome to the U.S.A., Pope Francis, Sr. Roswitha, and Sr. Paulit!  It is good to have you with us!

sr.christinaosf

Thoughts from a Friend of the Sisters

Guest Post by George Wirsing

A year and a half ago, as of October 1, I moved into the independent apartments at St. Anne’s Guest Home, which is run by the Franciscan Sisters of Dillingen, who have convents around the world in Germany, India, Brazil, and here in North Dakota.

They have had a long history here in North Dakota, doing ministry among the people in various areas, including Grand Forks, Hankinson, and Rugby.

I have been blessed to get to know some of them: the Provincial, Sister Ann Marie, and just recently, the Superior for the entire Congregation, Sister Roswitha as well as Sisters Jean Louise and Mary Ruth at Rugby, and others who have come to St. Anne’s.  But the sisters that I have had daily contact with are Sister Rebecca, Sister Elaine, and Sister Christina, whose friendships I appreciate the most.  Their insight and overseeing of this facility make it a safe and friendly place for the elderly, the retired, and those with a variety of physical needs.

P1010008I have come not only to value them for their vows and the service that they render to our community, the Church and specially to our Lord and His Mother, Mary, but for their friendship and individual talents that they bring.  And, in the end, I value them among my very best friends.

sr.christinaosf

Connections with St. Therese

Teresa13anni.JPGAlthough she’s not a Franciscan saint, St. Therese, the Little Flower, has a kind of special place in my life and in our community.  Let me explain…

When I was confirmed in eighth grade, at the Cathedral of St. Paul, I chose her as my Confirmation Saint.  Sr. Rebecca and Sr. Elaine Marie, my fellow Sisters here at St. Anne’s did likewise in their youth.

Another connection I have with today’s saint of “the Little Way” is having served at Little Flower School and parish after finishing my novitiate there at Little Flower Convent in Rugby, ND.  This was an especially fitting place for a novitiate experience in that St. Therese is the patroness of novice mistresses. (She actually served in this role herself.)  Novitiate can be a very memorable and important time in the life of a Sister.

BUSHNELL PICTURES

Taken during my time in Little Flower Convent Chapel

I must confess I am facing a bit of that good old “writer’s block” today, so I will fall back on my earlier creativity.  Below, I will share a poem I wrote as a novice about my experiences.  I apologize that some references made therein may not be clear to outsiders.  However, I hope you enjoy reading it nonetheless.  Please note, this was written in increments over several months, not all at once. ( -> Continue Reading poem)

sr.christinaosf

Making Time and Effort for Recollection and Renewal

By: Sr. Christina M. Neumann

In our community, we have a “day of monthly renewal,” during which we try to observe silence and also take a little extra time for prayer and reflection.  In the convents that I’ve lived in, usually, this is the first Sunday of the month.

As a novice, I was instructed to look over the past month and make goals for the one to come.  However, I’ve noticed that when I’ve done this, I’ve pretty much forgotten what my resolutions were before many days had elapsed.  Maybe that’s something I could work more on, but I’ve never had much success with “recollection day goals.”

One thing I do try to do comes directly from our Dillingen Franciscan Constitutions, which state: “As individuals and as members of a community, we frequently evaluate how well we are living our Poverty in the light of the Gospel and of St. Francis’ charismatic love of Poverty, so that our love for Poverty will grow in spirit and in fact.”

Along with evaluating my living of poverty, I think I also (would) do well to evaluate my living of charity towards my fellow Sisters and all those I serve.  A good time for this is during my evening examen and when preparing for confession.  Our Constitutions do further instruct us that “Poverty is worthless unless we are devoted to one another in heartfelt love.”

001I recalled today, during “recollection,” that it is good to periodically look at and evaluate ourselves, how things are going. (Actually, doing so every evening on a lesser scale is very good.)  I’d like to apply this principal also to this blog.  Also, I’d like to ask you, our readers, about it.  Please, would you take out a moment to give me some input.  Rather than just continuing as I am, without evaluating it, I would like to make a “day of renewal” for Our Franciscan Fiat as well.

AccountDeleted

If you need to take time off, your spiritual life comes first. You could always post a link to your website on your profile and people could go there. I have links to several websites listed in my favorites.

But perhaps you could also just post a link here every time you make a post on your website, just the link, nothing extra - it wouldn't take that much longer.

sr.christinaosf

It really doesn't take much time to copy and paste.  Just wondering if it's worth doing...and trying to balance myself, too.

IgnatiusofLoyola

I read all your posts, so you are contributing to the evangelization of at least one non-Catholic. However, I second what Nunsense said--Your spritual life comes first, and if you need to reduce the amount of time you spend online you should do so without guilt.

Also like Nunsense, I agree that if you simply posted a link to the blog, I would take the additional half-second to click on the link so I could continue to read your blog. I realize cutting and pasting the text normally doesn't take much time, but posting a link would be quicker, and all the little "bits" add up.

I enjoy your blog because it gives me an insight into the daily life of an active Sister that isn't easily available elsewhere. 

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola