An Old School Catholic Message Board

Supreme Court: Gay Marriage a Constitutional Right

CrossCuT

KnightofChrist

I wonder if the Church and other christian communities will be forced to also provide same-sex marriages and if so will they serve jail time if they do not?

I wonder if the Church and other christian communities will be forced to also provide same-sex marriages and if so will they serve jail time if they do not?

Impossible. The State is the arbiter of justice, the entity that will eliminate poverty and violence. The thing that must be obeyed because no man is so smart as one who occupies political office.

Maybe if that happens, the Church will finally rethink her unholy alliance with the State.

Impossible. The State is the arbiter of justice, the entity that will eliminate poverty and violence. The thing that must be obeyed because no man is so smart as one who occupies political office.

Maybe if that happens, the Church will finally rethink her unholy alliance with the State.

The Church is no different than the State in its desire to rule.  They just lost their ability to convince people they're divinely empowered.   Same game, different name.   The chosen  few to rule them all. 

Credo in Deum

God help us.

God have mercy on us!

Jail time I will gladly serve.

Edited by Credo in Deum

franciscanheart

Let's not be complete buffoons, people. There is still such a thing as religious liberty.

Let's not be complete buffoons, people. There is still such a thing as religious liberty.

At the moment.

Nihil Obstat

Freedom of religion is only a conditional freedom.

42. From what has been said it follows that it is quite unlawful to demand, to defend, or to grant unconditional freedom of thought, of speech, or writing, or of worship, as if these were so many rights given by nature to man. For, if nature had really granted them, it would be lawful to refuse obedience to God, and there would be no restraint on human liberty. It likewise follows that freedom in these things may be tolerated wherever there is just cause, but only with such moderation as will prevent its degenerating into license and excess. And, where such liberties are in use, men should employ them in doing good, and should estimate them as the Church does; for liberty is to be regarded as legitimate in so far only as it affords greater facility for doing good, but no farther.

The Church is no different than the State in its desire to rule.  They just lost their ability to convince people they're divinely empowered.   Same game, different name.   The chosen  few to rule them all. 

why the negative down votes?   I stated no opinion on whether or not the Church leadership/rulers are divinely empowered or not.  Just stating that it lost it's ability to convince the populace of it's authority. 

Or do you fundamentally disagree the Church desires to direct/influence/rule the behavior of people?

The correlation is neither really is really accommodating ot tolerating different opinions.  

dominicansoul

Official statement from my Bishop:

Official Statement
June 26, 2015
Archbishop Gustavo García-Siller
Re: United States Supreme Court decision concerning same-sex marriage

I am profoundly troubled by the decision handed down by the United States Supreme Court concerning Same-Sex “marriage.”    The Catholic Church will continue to proclaim the truth about marriage in our pulpits and in the public square. I join my brother       bishops across the nation calling today's decision a "tragic error."
 In Catholic teaching about the sanctity of marriage, it is clear that the union of one man and one woman in Holy Matrimony is  more than a human convention or a legal contract, it is a sacred bond that reflects a great reality both in Natural Law and in our  deepest held beliefs.
 In our wedding liturgy we pray: "Father, to reveal the plan of your love, you made the union of husband and wife an image of the    covenant between you and your people. In the fulfillment of this sacrament, the marriage of Christian man and woman is a sign   of the marriage between Christ and the Church."
 It is our belief that God is the author of marriage as a holy covenant between a man and a woman as a blessing to both. The   Catholic Catechism teaches; "By creating man and woman he called them to an intimate communion of life and of love in   marriage: 'So they are no longer two but one flesh....By its very nature it is ordered to the communion and good of the couple and  to the generation and education of children."
 Catholic teaching that that marriage is a loving union between a man and a woman is not intended to be exclusively a  prohibition,   but even more, a proclamation of God's love of humanity, and the beauty of love itself. In this way the Church    carries out the Father’s plan, enriching the lives of the married couple and serving the common good. 
 With love and respect to every human person, the Church will continue to invite men and women, regardless of their sexual   orientation, to walk their journey of faith with us, discovering God's plan for them and for all society. However, it is not within our  power to recognize this redefinition of marriage nor participate in this misrepresentation of what we believe to be a sacred union   created and reserved to one man and one woman. 
 Archbishop Gustavo Garcia-Siller

Don't worry, the government is not going to force churches to celebrate/recognize same sex marriages. You'll still have the freedom to discriminate as much as you please. All while patting yourselves on the back for your moral superiority.

Absolutely shameful.  (Though, sadly, not unexpected.)

This is a day that will live in infamy, and should be a national day of prayer and fasting for Catholics.

It's a loss for religious liberty and moral principle, as well as for the Constitution those jokers in black are supposed to uphold.  (As the Constitution says nothing about marriage, federal courts have absolutely no lawful power to define it at all.  If the "justices" were upholding the constitution, they'd have thrown this case out.)

This Supreme Court is an absolute disgrace.

Don't worry, the government is not going to force churches to celebrate/recognize same sex marriages. You'll still have the freedom to discriminate as much as you please. All while patting yourselves on the back for your moral superiority.

From Hillary Clinton, who stands a good chance of being the next president. (I don't necessarily agree with everything written on this page, but I include the link here because it has a video of her actual words.)

http://shoebat.com/2015/04/24/hilary-clinton-christians-in-america-must-deny-their-faith-in-christianity/

Maybe not immediately, though this wouldn't shock me if it happened sometime down the road.  The left seems hell-bent on eliminating all pockets of resistance.

Legal experts have said during the preliminary hearings that this could very well mean churches losing their tax exempt status.

And, of course, kids in all public schools will be forced to learn about same-sex "marriage" as a legitimate option.

. . . being rapidly eroded as we type.