An Old School Catholic Message Board

Supreme Court: Gay Marriage a Constitutional Right

CrossCuT

That's not true since in the U.S. the SC ruled against polygamy under the very premiss that it did not meet the already existing definition that marriage is between one man and one woman and that from this union springs forth the family.

How long do you think that decision will stand - seriously?

Credo in Deum

How long do you think that decision will stand - seriously?

Now that the Court has exceeded their authority and has redefined marriage, I give it less than a year.   

HisChildForever

Here's a thought I had, although it could be wishful thinking...with gay marriage legalized, that's one less knock against a conservative candidate running for president, because there's no debate anymore. So if for example many people chose not to vote Republican primarily because gay marriage was a major passion for them, might we see that crowd of folks lean more conservative next year? If so, imagine how that could look for the pro-life movement. I mean I side with the Democratic Party on certain issues but because I'm passionately pro-life I won't be voting Democrat...although that could change if abortion is made illegal period amen. Thoughts?

My heart goes out to them same-sex people.  For they will never know or understand the true joy of fatherhood or the bond that can only be found between man and woman 

My heart goes out to them same-sex people.  For they will never know or understand the true joy of fatherhood or the bond that can only be found between man and woman 

Think about what you are saying.  Does that mean an adopted child can never know true parental love? Is humanity so ruled by basic sexual activity that true love is only found with those you can mutually and properly stimulate genitalia and share DNA with?    

PhuturePriest

Think about what you are saying.  Does that mean an adopted child can never know true parental love? Is humanity so ruled by basic sexual activity that true love is only found with those you can mutually and properly stimulate genitalia and share DNA with?    

It's not the sexuality, it's the complementarity of the sexes that cannot be replicated with two people of the same sex.

franciscanheart

This may not be the right phorum for this question but...

Does our growing understanding of the human person (brain function, emotional response, personality profiles and makeups) necessitate a change in language on the part of the Church in order to better communicate her understanding of heterosexual partnerships and their superiority to homosexual partnerships?

Not The Philosopher

Does our growing understanding of the human person (brain function, emotional response, personality profiles and makeups) necessitate a change in language on the part of the Church in order to better communicate her understanding of heterosexual partnerships and their superiority to homosexual partnerships?

I think you'd have to be a little more concrete about what you mean here.

I think that is a good question, and going on what Ive heard said on PM on numerous occasions, it seems to me that avoiding the literal descriptions of what Catholics view as the homosexual condition being disordered, sinful, etc, would be an abandonment of their faith. I think I have heard people describe it as "tough love".

Some Catholics might favor a change of vernacular, but I think they are mostly ostracized from the more traditional groups.

(None of this is my opinion, im just trying to sum what I understand of peoples thoughts around here, pls correct me if Im wrong)

Edited by CrossCuT

KnightofChrist

Why wouldn't this be the right phorum? What is currently wrong (for the lack of a better word) with the Church's current language and what are some examples of that? What would you purpose the language be changed to, what examples do you purpose? Could you guarantee that the changed language would not loose or weaken the Church's unchangeable teaching on marriage and homosexuality?

Nihil Obstat

We understand human biology better certainly, but if anything we understand far less of man as a moral agent. We need to recover that moral grounding as a starting point.

But atheists and non Catholics can marry in a perfectly valid manner. It is a natural marriage rather than sacramental, just like anyone, gentile or Jew, from before the time of Christ. Such marriages are a natural good.

Yeah, I get tired of ill-informed Catholics saying things like "but a gay marriage is no different in the eyes of the Church than any other non-Catholic marriage."

Adoption can be a wonderful thing so long as the parents are man and a woman bound by Holy matrimony

Adoption can be a wonderful thing so long as the parents are man and a woman bound by Holy matrimony

Holy Matimony is not a magic spell.  It doesn't make the parents any better than whence they started.  That is a small and dim view of people and reality.  What if it was a single person?  A widower?    Do you have any idea what percentage of children are abused by biological parents? 

Its attitudes like that which lead to considering bastards as second class citizens. There is a difference between ideal and tolerable.  

Edited by Anomaly

do you know what Holy Matrimony Is?

The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life, is by its nature ordered toward the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring; this covenant between baptized persons has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament