An Old School Catholic Message Board

Remnant video on the Synod

Ancilla Domini

Credo in Deum

divorce was considered adultery, those guilty of adultery were stoned to death in Christ's  time

The children from a divorced family should not suffer for the sins of one or both of the parents. 

Those who divorce and remarry are still committing adultry if their previous marriage was determined to be valid.  This does not change simply because people nowadays do not view remarriage as adultry.

It's sad that the children have to suffer for the sins of their parents. We are suffering for the sin of Adam and Eve, does this mean God is not Just or Merciful?

It's sad that the children have to suffer for the sins of their parents. We are suffering for the sin of Adam and Eve, does this mean God is not Just or Merciful?

your so old  testament ,  throwing stones 

Credo in Deum

your so old  testament ,  throwing stones 

On the contrary. I'm not throwing stones, in fact I think new apostolates and communities can be started to help and support those who are serious about returning to the Church and ending their adulterous relationships. Communities which will help them live out God's will.  This is true charity, not ignoring the sins and adding sacrilege on top of it because we're afraid of losing human respect or hurting someone's feelings becaus they can't have the sins and the sacraments. 

Furthermore the Church does not alienate the children. They are welcome to come to the sacraments.  Their parents are also welcome to the sacraments when they choose God over their own wills and end the sin they are living in.  It won't be easy, no it will be a cross but it will be the cross which will lead to their sanctification.  This is true about the cross in all of our lives and in all of the places where we struggle to conform to the will of God and undergo a death to self.  But that is the point of this life, our conformity to the will of God and not expecting God to conform to our will. 

Furthermore the Church does not alienate the children. They are welcome to come to the sacraments.  Their parents are also welcome to the sacraments when they choose God over their own wills and end the sin they are living in.  

That’s absurd.  Are you suggesting the parents end there union?

In practicality, it is unlikely that the children of said union can or would follow the catholic faith.

Credo in Deum

In practicality, it is unlikely that the children of said union can or would follow the catholic faith.

If their union is adulterous then they must end it. In practicality children who grow up in a home where their Catholic parents aren't living their Faith and who continually choose their own will over the will of God, are likely to likewise live their Catholic Faith in the same way; Catholic in name only, and not in action.  Yet those parents who do what is hard and teach their kids that this is true love of God and neighbor will teach their kids that nothing in this life matters if it is not being done for the glory of God.  They will show them that carrying the cross daily is love, and we has their neighbor can be like Simon and help them carry this cross, not disgard it by telling them the cross is an antiquated message of Christianity which has no place in today's enlightened society.  

Edited by Credo in Deum

If their union is adulterous then they must end it.

i'm just a little curious, what do I you think should become of these children  Born to the adulterers when they ( the adulterers) end it?

Credo in Deum

i'm just a little curious, what do I you think should become of these children  Born to the adulterers when they ( the adulterers) end it?

The parents should continue to make sure the children are active in their faith regardless of what the parents unique situation calls for; whether that be living as brother and sister, or if that is not possible without causing a scandal, then they need to separate while still keeping their children active in their faith.  The only people who will punish the children for the parents situation are the parents themselves, since they ultimately control how they approach the cross they are going to have to carry. The cross which they have created by their sins.  They can either discard the cross and teach their children, wrongly, that the church is uncharitable, or they can accept the cross and teach their children that sin has consequences but that God in his mercy extends the cross so that we may do our part to repair our relationship with God.  A relationship which we, WE, have wounded by our sins.  The Church here is neither obligated or responsible for their difficult situation.  On the contrary, had they followed the Church they would not have been in this situation to begin with.  

Lastly Catholics need to get it out of their heads that the Church is punishing such couples, or their children, by having the parents separate, if that is the only option available. The Church dispenses the sacraments and is here to save souls.  They cannot do this if we are not wiling to do everything we can to amend our lives so that we can participate in the sacramental life of the Church.  I know the whole "amend your life" sounds foreign to most people, you know since divorce is fact of life and all, but there is no forgiveness without a true purpose of amendment.  Yes, amendment. It's that part of the Act of Contrition you say at the end of your confessions.   When Christ helped the woman caught in adultery He forgave her and then told her to "go, and sin no more!"  He did not say "go and continue to live in adultery. I wouldn't want My will to be an inconvenience for you."

Edited by Credo in Deum

dominicansoul

i think what is more absurd is going through the Sacrament of Marriage with someone, saying "I do" to FOREVER being with that person, and then breaking up later cos they didn't do their homework and get to really know that person and recognize that they SHOULDN'T say "I DO" to forever and ever til death do they part for better and for worse.  And that's the main problem with marriage today.  It's not a trial, it's not a "let's try this out and see how it goes" kinda thing, it's SERIOUSLY F-O-R-E-V-E-R.    I think what's absurd are society's definitions of marriage as well as the attitude towards marriage, as if its something they can return to the store when it breaks or they realize they don't want it after all.

With that said, the Church isn't the big bad meanie most people want to make it out to be.  You see this with other issues.  "What does the Church have to CHANGE to fit into my lifestyle and not offend me in my sinfulness???"  We live in a world where everybody is looking inward at themselves and concerned... or rather, obsessed with not getting their feelings hurt while completely ignoring God's feelings.  He gets hurt too, you know.  And it really is the Church's job to defend Him and His commandments, regardless if it "offends" people's sinful states.   

I think we need next a Synod on Catechesis, because with the breakdown of the Family Unit in our Church, parents have not been the primary teachers of the Faith to their children.  That has left the responsibility to Parish CCD programs which only get children once a week for about an hour.  And we've seen how this has not bore much fruit in the Church, but actually has created a great deal of ignorance amongst the Faithful. 

When Christ helped the woman caught in adultery He forgave her and then told her to "go, and sin no more!"  He did not say "go and continue to live in adultery. I wouldn't want My will to be an inconvenience for you."

VERSES 10-11: Jesus stood up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more."

forgave and condemn are not interchangeable, if your going to apply  verses 10-11, you need to understand the diff

dominicansoul

what about forgiveness

what about "sin no more?"

you can't stay in the state of mortal sin and expect forgiveness

i think what is more absurd is going through the Sacrament of Marriage with someone, saying "I do" to FOREVER being with that person, and then breaking up later cos they didn't do their homework and get to really know that person and recognize that they SHOULDN'T say "I DO" to forever and ever til death do they part for better and for worse.  And that's the main problem with marriage today.  It's not a trial, it's not a "let's try this out and see how it goes" kinda thing, it's SERIOUSLY F-O-R-E-V-E-R.    I think what's absurd are society's definitions of marriage as well as the attitude towards marriage, as if its something they can return to the store when it breaks or they realize they don't want it after all.

With that said, the Church isn't the big bad meanie most people want to make it out to be.  You see this with other issues.  "What does the Church have to CHANGE to fit into my lifestyle and not offend me in my sinfulness???"  We live in a world where everybody is looking inward at themselves and concerned... or rather, obsessed with not getting their feelings hurt while completely ignoring God's feelings.  He gets hurt too, you know.  And it really is the Church's job to defend Him and His commandments, regardless if it "offends" people's sinful states.   

I think we need next a Synod on Catechesis, because with the breakdown of the Family Unit in our Church, parents have not been the primary teachers of the Faith to their children.  That has left the responsibility to Parish CCD programs which only get children once a week for about an hour.  And we've seen how this has not bore much fruit in the Church, but actually has created a great deal of ignorance amongst the Faithful. 

I love and honored  my wife even before she said "I do" until the day she died 30 years later, the three Beautiful children that resulted from our Union are the most precious thing in my (both) lifes.   I think about her  every day and thank God for the time we had together.

I firmly believe in the sacrament and sanctity of marriage.

Divorce is very prevalent in today's society, so much unhappiness and misery has resulted from such.  But I don't see how abandoning a child who sprung from an invalid marriage could possibly be beneficial or a good thing.  

Gay people, divorced and remarried people, people who don't follow the rules like getting married not in a church are not welcome in the present day cathilic church.  

It is any wonder that church attendance has fallen drastically among Catholics.

over the past four decades, self-reported church attendance has declined among “strong” Catholics as well as among Catholics overall. The share of all Catholics who say they attend Mass at least once a week has dropped from 47% in 1974 to 24% in 2012; among “strong” Catholics, it has fallen more than 30 points, from 85% in 1974 to 53% last year.

the facts speak for themselfs.  Local parishes are closing and/or consolidating wherever you go, hopefully this Synod Will bring souls back...

Edited by little2add

Gay people, divorced and remarried people, people who don't follow the rules like getting married not in a church are not welcome in the present day cathilic church. 

I do not see how you come to that conclusion. It seems to me that gay people are called to live a life of chastity. I have never heard any priest say that gay people are not welcome in the church. People who are divorced and remarried are encouraged to seek an annulment (my sister is in this situation right now). Just because the Church cannot accept or encourage sin does not mean that people who are engaged in sinful activities are not welcome. At least my own personal experience has been that the priest encourages confession, and is willing to work with people to put them on a better path to salvation. It seems to me that the Church wants all of these people to participate in the life of the church, and part of that is attempting to eliminate sin from one's life, I think.